• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Need fellow members help in emailing BMW executives about my defective bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mi Amigo ponch1, the reason I keep buying BMW is due to my loyalty to BMW MOA and specifically to the hundreds - possibly thousands - of BMW Friends I have met through attending the Annual MOA International Rally almost every year since 1979, BMWRA Annual Rallies and regional MOA and RA rallies.

I no longer buy BMW for reliability or factory support (or lack of!), that is why there are two Yamaha FJR 1300's in my garage alongside my many Beemers: A 2003 with over 100K on the odo and my 2013 FJR, with Yamaha products you just change the oil/filter and keep racking up the miles; not with BMW!

I don't know Don. After making a threat to people that want to help Randy, well, it's almost criminal. Read their response. I am a little shocked at the response. It's one thing to say, you know, we made our offer and that is it. It's another thing to say, if your friends don't stop complaining, they may have problems if they need assistance. If that isn't the biggest FU, I don't know what is. I guess it'll give me something to blog about. Would HD behave this way?

The administrators saw fit to delete a post I made here that was from the BMW face book page because of my retort on that page and not here. I find that BS. I am done here and done with BMW. I've never seen such censorship and uptightedness. It seems MOA is worried what the mother ship will think. Good luck.

Good point ponch1, their stupid response might end up going viral.

I bet someone on the BMW facebook teams gets their butt chewed off for sending out that response. But then maybe not, that is just the German attitude, them being "the superior race and all".

Let's keep that loving and caring response alive on social media.

BMW Motorrad: Hi Randy, thanks for your opinion on the situation. We have provided what we feel is a reasonable solution and you have declined to accept it. We ask you to refrain from encouraging other fans to email members of the BMW staff because it may limit the response time for your fellow Motorrad community members who may have a problem or concern that needs solving. You are free to post on the main BMW Motorrad page however in future, if you continue to promote your situation on other BMW Motorrad users posts, we will have to delete them.

All the best
Your BMW Motorrad Facebook Team

The administrators saw fit to delete a post I made here that was from the BMW face book page because of my retort on that page and not here. I find that BS. I am done here and done with BMW. I've never seen such censorship and uptightedness. It seems MOA is worried what the mother ship will think. Good luck.

Ponch -

Posting the facebook info was fine. It was your other reference in your post that got the post kicked.

Ponch -

Posting the facebook info was fine. It was your other reference in your post that got the post kicked.

And what does that have to do with here? I think you deleted it to avoid any repercussions with the mother ship. May be you should get a job working for Obama. You'd fit in.

My quote here showed a veiled threat from BMW to anyone that emailed on Mr Holdford's behalf. I think that needs airing regardless of whether you think my post elsewhere not on this forum was over the top. It show pusillanimy on the MOA's part.

Anthony Cavanaugh has been a pleasure to work with and always follows up promptly with my inquiries. Even if I don't agree with his decisions I think he is an asset to Motorrad USA.

All Anthony has to do is say that he will match the $4,000 trade-in offer as part of a goodwill offering and I would probably do the deal. All I am asking BMW to do is to solve the leaking seal problems for good or replace the engine or make up the difference in the trade-in offered from Bloodworth and what a non-defective bike is worth.

Anthony says that "I have an unrepairable bike and the only solution is to replace the motor". It is not my fault the the bike came defective from the factory and I should not be penalized for their mistake.

Defects happen, no big deal. It is how you own up to the defect that reveals what kind of company you are.

Anthony Cavanaugh and his fellow employees are nothing more than Corporate Talking Heads, CTH for short. CTH's are what allow corporate big wig's to screw you when they feel it is appropriate. There is such a thing as right and wrong and when a company performs wrong they get away with it if the employees cooperate. Because most folks need a job wrong gets passed along easy as pie.

If employees could only be empowered to stand up and do what is right most all of the wrongs would disappear. Instead, employees that take action, a.k.a. whistle blowers, are thrown under the bus with all sorts of sordid tales as to why they lost their position. BMW NA is filled to the brim with CTH's and they all care far more about their paycheck then doing what is right. BMW NA is a disgrace.

And what does that have to do with here? I think you deleted it to avoid any repercussions with the mother ship. May be you should get a job working for Obama. You'd fit in.

My quote here showed a veiled threat from BMW to anyone that emailed on Mr Holdford's behalf. I think that needs airing regardless of whether you think my post elsewhere not on this forum was over the top. It show pusillanimy on the MOA's part.

Ponch, are you saying BMW replied with veiled threats? I never saw this post. Wouldn't surprise me in the least as I had one of their sales rep's lie to my face one time and he was lying about the condition of a customer's motorcycle. I called him on his lie right in the middle of the shop and then he turns to me and told me he doesn't give a sh** as to what I think. Never in 30 years have I had a rep do such a thing. NA is basically a collection of human garbage.

Administrator 20774, are you censoring what forum members can post.

I would have thought that the main purpose of this forum is for the members to have free flowing conversation and to try and help each other out. If I am wrong please let me know.

What exactly did ponch do that was inappropriate?

Thanks for you help in understanding the issue.

Ponch -

I for one would like to see this post. Please repost and let the membership make the decision as to the appropriateness. Thank you.

There are no restrictions for posting in the forum other than those given in the Posting Guidelines as give here:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_postingguidelines

The moderators and I monitor the posts and if we feel that a specific post violates these guidelines, then the post or thread will be deleted/closed. That is what happened in this particular situation.

The situation is under review by other moderators and staff.

Billy Walker here is the loving response for BMW facebook team.

BMW Motorrad: Hi Randy Holdford, thanks for your opinion on the situation. We have provided what we feel is a reasonable solution and you have declined to accept it. We ask you to refrain from encouraging other fans to email members of the BMW staff because it may limit the response time for your fellow Motorrad community members who may have a problem or concern that needs solving. You are free to post on the main BMW Motorrad page however in future, if you continue to promote your situation on other BMW Motorrad users posts, we will have to delete them.

All the best

I test drove the 700gs on Tuesday and liked it very much. It does have a strong vibration around 5,000-7,000 rpm's but I could live with that.

I also rode a friends new Suzuki 650 Adventure last week. The bike does not have quite as much HP but is fun to ride and does not have the vibration. The Suzuki comes with ABS and good looking aluminum panniers and crash bars and cost around $2,000 less than the basic 700gs without panniers or crashbars.

Two of the guys that I ride with just bought the Suzuki 650 Adventure over the BMW 700gs. Part of the reason was because of all the problems I have had. These two guys are FedEx executives and money was not an issue. They both have Harley's and Goldwing's as their primary bikes. But they love to ride the Suzuki 650 Adventure because it is fun to ride.

I know for a fact that BMW's stubbornness caused them at least two recent bike sales.

I would have thought that the main purpose of this forum is for the members to have free flowing conversation and to try and help each other out. If I am wrong please let me know.

What exactly did ponch do that was inappropriate?

Thanks for you help in understanding the issue.

On BMW's FB page, where your post is, I made references to hitler, goebbels and the method the germans used to kill a lot of people vis a vis BMW. None of it was factually incorrect, but the moderator here thought I was over the top on BMW's FB page, so I needed to be censored here.

I for one would like to see this post. Please repost and let the membership make the decision as to the appropriateness. Thank you.

+1, Gunny; Having spent six years in US Army Artillery 1968-74 as a DAGBY (dumb ass gun bunny!) and 39 years in Construction Trades as a Pipefitter and with a million motorcycle miles under my butt, I do think with my now going on age 65 I'm fully able to handle that post without freaking out!

Thanks Kurt for getting back so quick.

Being the forum administrator or moderator is not an easy job I am sure. But after BMW's facebook team basically said "shut up and do not get others stirred up" has hit the nerve of censorship with other forum members.

They only way I was every able to reach anyone at BMW Corporate was because of a facebook post on the Motorrad page 6 years ago. I tried the 1-800 customer service number and they were very polite but had no power and would not connect me the corporate people such as Anthony Cavanaugh. I tried going through the MOA liaison reps and he was very nice and tried to help but does not have any authority or pull with BMW.

So the only way I was able to reach BMW corporate was through a polite posting on the Motorrad facebook page asking for help. Within 24 hours of that posting I received a call from BMW Corporate.

I have tried for 7 years to get BMW to admit that I have a defective bike. Last week Anthony Cavanaugh TEAM LEADER at BMW in charge of pre-litigation and vehicle buy-back stated the following to me:

"your bike is unrepairable and the only solution is to put in a new engine which would cost over $9,000 which is more than the bike is worth"

So BMW waited until the mileage on my bike reached over 44,000 miles before they admitted that I have a factory defective bike. Now they "generously" want to offer a $1,241.17 to buyback my bike.

I bet someone on the BMW facebook teams gets their butt chewed off for sending out that response. But then maybe not, that is just the German attitude, them being "the superior race and all".

Let's keep that loving and caring response alive on social media.

BMW Motorrad: Hi Randy, thanks for your opinion on the situation. We have provided what we feel is a reasonable solution and you have declined to accept it. We ask you to refrain from encouraging other fans to email members of the BMW staff because it may limit the response time for your fellow Motorrad community members who may have a problem or concern that needs solving. You are free to post on the main BMW Motorrad page however in future, if you continue to promote your situation on other BMW Motorrad users posts, we will have to delete them.

All the best

Is this the veiled threat? Not only could it be interpreted as a veiled threat but they fail to provide you with a reason as to why you should take such a huge financial hit on their problem motor. If it is indeed a threat that pretty poor on their part.

I will e-mail them daily until they give you a better deal. Assuming your story is correct they have forced you into a bad position even if they do continue to honor the 2-year parts warranty. Let me know if they up the ante.

Is this the veiled threat? Not only could it be interpreted as a veiled threat but they fail to provide you with a reason as to why you should take such a huge financial hit on their problem motor. If it is indeed a threat that pretty poor on their part.

I will e-mail them daily until they give you a better deal. Assuming your story is correct they have forced you into a bad position even if they do continue to honor the 2-year parts warranty. Let me know if they up the ante.

https://www.facebook.com/bmw.motorcycle Hey Guys, is the Facebook page you folks are referring to? I couldn't find either Randy or Ponch's posts!

Thanks Billy, I will email you my receipts showing all the "repairs"

I would appreciate any help you can give me regarding my r1200gs and an ongoing problem with leaking engine and transmission seals.

R1200GS Vin # WB10317A55ZL77208
Randy Holdford 1504 Franklin Dale Cove Collierville TN 38017 901-409-7409
07-14-2007 Miles: 12,555 First reported oil leak. Service writer said to monitor leak
_____________________________________________________________________________________
04-09-2008 Miles: 15,444 Little Rock BMW Warranty 0004995-134
Defect Code: 1111584800 Shaft sealing ring
Output shaft
Clutch end leaking, installed new clutch
Clutch Plate BMW 21217697737, Shaft Seal BMW 23127683995, Drive Shaft Seal BMW23127656019
Compensating Shaft Seal BMW 11117685005
_____________________________________________________________________________________
10-22-2008 Miles: 3,847??? Little Rock BMW Warranty 0006037-1083
Defect Code: 2312004800 Sealing ring
Input shaft, front leaking
Transmission Input seal BMW 23127705086
____________________________________________________________________________________
02-04-2010 Miles: 27,538 Little Rock BMW Warranty 0008199-3346
Defect Code: 2312004800 Sealing ring
Input shaft, front leaking
Transmission Input seal BMW 23127705086, Compensating shaft seal BMW 1117685005
____________________________________________________________________________________
07-28-2010 Miles: 30,606 Bloodworth Motorcycles Warranty
Defect Code: 1127064800 Shaft sealing ring, Compensating Shaft
Compensating Shaft Seal BMW 11117685005
_______________________________________________________________________________________
05-20-2011 Miles: 36,438 Bloodworth Motorcycles Warranty
Output rear/ cylinder clutch
Output Cylinder clutch BMW 21527724542, Seal, Clutch M/C 23127705085
________________________________________________________________________________________
Page 2
09-25-2012 41,183 miles Put bike in the shop on 06-04-2012 and picked it up 16 weeks later on 09-25-2012
Compensating Shaft Seal BMW 11117685005 Compensating shaft seal
Input Shaft seal BMW 23127705086 Transmission Input seal

09-26-2012 41,287 miles Drove the bike 1 hour and had to return it because of a bad bearing.
Compensating Shaft Seal BMW 1117685005 Compensating shaft seal(rear)
Compensating Shaft Seal BMW 11118528387 Compensating shaft seal(front)
Compensating Shaft front bearing 11147665326 Compensating shaft bearing(front)
Compensating Shaft front O-ring 11147665328 O-ring for front of engine for the shaft
Compensating Shaft Balance Weight 11277670337 Compensating Shaft balance weight

10-13-2012 41,701 miles
05-10-2013 with 44,321 miles and I am my seals are leaking again. The bike will have to be broken apart for the 8th time and the seals replaced. But based on past experience they will start leaking again in a few thousand miles.
I have been having electrical problems for the last year with my electrical system. The following is a summary of the problems I have been having.
Last year I started to have some electrical problems. My heated hand grips, both blinkers, trip meter, flashers, horn, and rear brake light(tail light worked fine) all stopped working. My brake failure light started flashing rapidly and the servos worked sometimes but not all the time. Some times my front servo worked but not my rear servo. This may or may not have any bearing on the problem but my high beam "out" indicator was the first thing I noticed acting up about two month prior. It would intermittently show the high beam not working.
The first thing I tried to correct the problems was to replace the battery, but that did not help. Then I removed the gas tank and check the computer connectors and did not see any corrosion when I removed the connectors. I replaced the front brake micro switch and now the rear brake light works fine all the time.
Several mechanics have stated that the electrical problems could have been caused by my bike being ?broken in half? seven times to replace defective engine output seals, counterbalance seals, clutch slave cylinders seals, transmission input and output seals and counterbalance shaft bearings along with the clutch. So far all of the above seals have been covered by factory warranty or the 2 year parts and labor warranty. See the list of repairs at the bottom of this email.
By the way, it looks like one of the seals has gone bad again and I will take the bike back to Bloodworth BMW this fall to have the repairs done for the 8th time. I am thankful that all the seal repairs have been covered under warranty but it is costing BMW $1,500 plus every time this bike is broken in half. I figure that the total warranty repair costs are somewhere between $10,000 to $13,000 and the leaking seal issue has not been corrected yet.
Bloodworth BMW does not know what is causing the electrical problems. They suggested replacing the wiring harness which would cost over $1,500 but said that the wiring harness might not be the problem and would probably have to replace other parts until they found the problem. I understand that electrical problems can be hard to diagnosis but I don?t want to have to pay several thousand of dollars while the dealer guess?s which parts to replace next.
Update: after riding for several months with the above mentioned electrical problems some of my electrical issues ?solved? themselves. The heated handgrips, blinkers, flashers, trip meter and horn all work correctly now. Every now and then they might stop working for a short while but then will work fine for several months. The ?Brake Failure? light always flashes and the ABS and servos do not work 95% of the time. But every once in a while as I am riding the bike the ?brake Failure? light goes out and the ABS and servos work fine until I turn the bike off. When I restarted the bike all the brake problems are back.
I rode this weekend and after 20 miles the ABS and servos started working and worked fine until I turn the bike off. When I restart the bike the ABS/servos to not work but started working again after about 30 minutes.
I would appreciate any ?goodwill? assistance the BMW could help me with considering my bike has been broken in half 7 times which probably damaged the wiring at some point. I would be like removing and replacing the entire motor and transmission in a car 7 times, something is bound to be damaged in the process. Thanks for your help.
Randy Holdford 1504 Franklin Dale Cove, Collierville TN 38017 901-409-7409

+1, Gunny; Having spent six years in US Army Artillery 1968-74 as a DAGBY (dumb ass gun bunny!) and 39 years in Construction Trades as a Pipefitter and with a million motorcycle miles under my butt, I do think with my now going on age 65 I'm fully able to handle that post without freaking out!

Didn't an Elvis Costello song have a line that went: "I used to be disgusted, now I am just amused." Something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back