• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Need fellow members help in emailing BMW executives about my defective bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

espressoforyou

Good News: BMW Finally offered a "BUY-BACK" of my 2005 r1200gs
After 7 long years of going back and forth with BMW NA they finally offered a buy-back of my bike because of the ongoing engine output and counterbalance seal failures.

On Tuesday this week Anthony Cavanaugh(TEAM Leader of pre-litigation and vehicle buy-back with BMW NA) said the following:

"your bike is unrepairable and the only solution is to replace the engine which would cost over $9,000 and is more that the bike is worth".

Anthony then gave me the "generous" buy-back offer of $1,241.17 for my 2005 r1200gs with 42,321 miles on it.. I politely declined the offer.

I even offered to purchase a new f700gs from Bloodworth BMW on Tuesday if BMW NA would give me a reasonable trade assist on my bike. I had David Bloodworth talk to Anthony Cavanaugh, but BMW NA would not increase the buy-back offer.

The only way I was ever able to get in touch with BMW Corporate was by posting on the Motorrad Facebook page and by emailing all the top executives including Vice President of Motorrad NA Hans Blesse along with CEO Ludwig Willisch

I would appreciate my fellow forum members sending an email to CEO Ludwig Willisch at ludwig.willisch@bmwna.com along with Anthony Cavanaugh at anthony.cavanaugh@bmwna.com and Hans Blesse at Hans.Blesse@bmwna.com and commenting on my situation. If I can get 20 plus people to email Anthony, Ludwig and Hans it is possible that they will reconsider their "generous" offer of $1,241.17 for the buy-back of my bike and maybe come up with a reasonable offer.

Thanks for you help.

I'd be glad to help you out. There offer seems way too low to me. Is the only thing wrong with it the ongoing engine output and counterbalance seal failures? If so, I believe they should pay you what the bike would be worth without these unrepairable problems. A wrecked bike would possibly be worth their offer. What would you consider a reasonable offer?

Good News: BMW Finally offered a "BUY-BACK" of my 2005 r1200gs
After 7 long years of going back and forth with BMW NA they finally offered a buy-back of my bike because of the ongoing engine output and counterbalance seal failures.

On Tuesday this week Anthony Cavanaugh(TEAM Leader of pre-litigation and vehicle buy-back with BMW NA) said the following:

"your bike is unrepairable and the only solution is to replace the engine which would cost over $9,000 and is more that the bike is worth".

Anthony then gave me the "generous" buy-back offer of $1,241.17 for my 2005 r1200gs with 42,321 miles on it.. I politely declined the offer.

I even offered to purchase a new f700gs from Bloodworth BMW on Tuesday if BMW NA would give me a reasonable trade assist on my bike. I had David Bloodworth talk to Anthony Cavanaugh, but BMW NA would not increase the buy-back offer.

The only way I was ever able to get in touch with BMW Corporate was by posting on the Motorrad Facebook page and by emailing all the top executives including Vice President of Motorrad NA Hans Blesse along with CEO Ludwig Willisch

I would appreciate my fellow forum members sending an email to CEO Ludwig Willisch at ludwig.willisch@bmwna.com along with Anthony Cavanaugh at anthony.cavanaugh@bmwna.com and Hans Blesse at Hans.Blesse@bmwna.com and commenting on my situation. If I can get 20 plus people to email Anthony, Ludwig and Hans it is possible that they will reconsider their "generous" offer of $1,241.17 for the buy-back of my bike and maybe come up with a reasonable offer.

Thanks for you help.

Good question kioolt

I would think that considering all the crap I have had to deal with that the average for sale by owner price of $6,000 to $8,000 would be reasonable.

Bloodworth BMW offered $4,000 and they said that they will just wholesale it out.

Thanks for you help.

Randy

Take the $4k and move on. From the looks of things, you've invested too much time in this already.

+1, Gunny; Mr. Anthony Cavanaugh is a definitely Good Gentleman and really helped me finally get the repair parts for my deer strike damaged K1600GT after BMW AG Germany had sat on their worthless butts doing absolutely nothing for five straight months, Brother Randy $1,241 is probably all BMW NA will allow AC to go up to in this matter and the $4,000 from Bloodworth BMW strikes me as a very equitable fair offer.

Good point BC1100S, but it is the principle of the matter that matters to me now.

If everyone just said screw it and let's spend the extra time and effort and make the manufacture do the right thing then the threshold will be lower and lower the next time for the manufacture. Kind of like when you have your 15 year old son wash his mothers car 3 times until he does a good job. It would have been easier for me to just finish it myself or just be satisfied with a car wash only half done. I am trying to teach my son to do it right the first time. Same way with BMW, just own up to the defect and make it right, have a satisfied customer and sell me additional bikes.

If everyone just said screw it and let's spend the extra time and effort and make the manufacture do the right thing then the threshold will be lower and lower the next time for the manufacture. Kind of like when you have your 15 year old son wash his mothers car 3 times until he does a good job. It would have been easier for me to just finish it myself or just be satisfied with a car wash only half done. I am trying to teach my son to do it right the first time. Same way with BMW, just own up to the defect and make it right, have a satisfied customer and sell me additional bikes.

Randy if you can get the BMW Corporation to do things "the right way" then you are a much better man than all of the rest of us Gunga Din, I have ridden BMW continuously since March of 1969 and I have never seen BMW AG or BMW NA put the customer first - NEVER/EVER!

Trying to teach the BMW Corporation to do the right thing is exactly the same thing as trying to teach a pig how to sing: It is a complete and total waste of your time, plus it annoys the living hell out of the pig! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Last edited:
beemerdons, I agree that Anthony is a good guy in a difficult position.

Anthony Cavanaugh has been a pleasure to work with and always follows up promptly with my inquiries. Even if I don't agree with his decisions I think he is an asset to Motorrad USA.

All Anthony has to do is say that he will match the $4,000 trade-in offer as part of a goodwill offering and I would probably do the deal. All I am asking BMW to do is to solve the leaking seal problems for good or replace the engine or make up the difference in the trade-in offered from Bloodworth and what a non-defective bike is worth.

Anthony says that "I have an unrepairable bike and the only solution is to replace the motor". It is not my fault the the bike came defective from the factory and I should not be penalized for their mistake.

Defects happen, no big deal. It is how you own up to the defect that reveals what kind of company you are.

Beemerdons, I think you hit the pig on the head and I am the one squealing.

Good point and I will keep you posted. But I would still appreciate you taking 3 minutes and sending an email to the following BMW executives. Thanks

I know how big corporation operate. It doesn't take but a few emails to the top dog(pig) until the chief passes the problem down to a subordinate and says why didn't you take care of this. I have seen the process happen over and over again.

It just takes a little grease to make the pig move off it's position.

And I find it a challenge and fun.

Bmw

If you want to stick to your principles, that's your prerogative. I applaude you. However I believe you will be :banghead

I am now 53, been around the block a few times, and have dealt with BMW North America, and BMW Canada before. I had a brand-new BMW 323, ordered direct from the factory. At the same time I bought my wife a BMW 323 with a slightly different configuration.

Her car ran perfectly.

My car ran really well, the only problem it had was that intermittently, when I took my foot off the gas ,it would not de-accelerate.

The pause in non de-acceleration was about 1 to 2 seconds, then it would de-accelerate.

This was at best annoying, and at worst dangerous, especially when trying to stop for pedestrians or quickly for another car.

After fourteen months, many times in the shop, many times out with the BMW rep, they finally gave me $2000 to shut up and go away. I accepted their offer. They were not going to do anything else, and personally I like driving BMWs.

I lived with the issue for three years, then traded my car in for a 5 series.

Sometimes, you get a lemon. BMW still makes, in my opinion, some the best driving vehicles and motorcycles in the industry.

I personally will stick with them, even though they will not do, what I consider, to be the absolute right thing to do.

So, do what you think is right, but don't expect them to offer you more money. For them, it is precedent-setting. Your choice will be whether you stick with BMW or not.

For them, it is one customer. It's cheaper to lose that one customer, then set a precedent that would cost them a lot more in the long run.

Because no matter how you feel, there are many more in line that will continue to buy BMWs.

BTW, that 5 series was the best driving car ever!!

Last edited:
cowboyatheart. You hit the the nail on the head.

I agree with everything you said. I I really do like my GS and don't know of any other bike I would rather have.

So far all the repairs have been paid for under the factory warranty or now by the 2 year parts and labor warranty. So I take me bike in every 6 months and they replace the seals at a cost of $1,500 to BMW and the 2 year warranty starts all over again. I might just try and set a record for the most money every paid out to "repair" a bike under the 2 year parts and labor warranty. So far it is over $13,000. I have additional bike so I always have one to ride even when one is in the shop.

Have you contacted the BMW MOA Consumer Liaison yet? They were also involved in my dilemma with the BMW Corporation, they investigated the total lack of BMW AG/BMWNA factory support and assisted in solving my K1600GT situation. From our MOA Handbooks:

Consumer Support
Our members spend millions buying, maintaining
and enjoying their BMW motorcycles. If a member
has a problem with a company providing a product
or service they can get useful information to resolve
the conflict by contacting our Consumer Liaison.

beemerdons, yes I spoke with the liaison person last year.

Very nice gentleman. He contacted BMW and Bloodworth BMW for me. Nice guy but does not have any authority. I appreciate him trying to help. I can not think of his name. Thanks for the suggestion.

...And I find it a challenge and fun...

I applaud you standing up for your principles. I don't believe that you will have success in moving this mountain, though. BMW seems to have taken the position of warrantying this particular issue for as long as you own this bike. If you choose to tolerate the pain that may cause you, that's up to you. Perhaps you might find a more pragmatic approach of more personal benefit in the long run.

Best of luck on whichever path you choose to travel.

Thanks BC1100s, I appreciate you reply

As long as the seals fail within 2 years then the parts and labor warranty will cover the repairs. The seals go bad around 3,000 miles and I ride around 9,000 miles per year. Also if I do sell the bike to an individual the 2 year parts and warranty goes with the bike. So the seals are covered for as long as they fail within two years for 10 plus years. That 2 years parts and labor warranty is a great program.

I might be pissing against the wind but do me a favor and email the 3 executive below. Thanks

Anthony Cavanaugh is TEAM Leader in charge of pre-litigation and vehicle buy-back. His email is Anthony.cavanaugh@bmwna.com His direct line is 201-263-8215
CEO Ludwig Willisch at ludwig.willisch@bmwna.com
Vice President Hans Blesse at Hans.Blesse@bmwna.com

Thanks Randy

May buy Moto Guzzi instead. That was the subject line of my email to the three addresses. The text of the emails is:

My plans are to buy a new bike this year. I'm really drawn to the F800GT. I'd just about decided to finalize my decision when I read in the MOA forum about an ongoing issue on a 2005 R1200GS with an ongoing problem with seal failures. The bike has had numerous ongoing failures of the exact same nature. The owner has been told the only solution is to replace the engine or replace the bike. The amount offered in compensation is far far below the value of the bike and frankly insulting. My resolve to buy my new BMW has significantly weakened out of concern over the support I can expect to receive or perhaps more accurately not receive should I have a problem. The Moto Guzzi on my suspect list has strengthened it's position. I hope to soon hear of a positive resolution in this case so that I and all other potential buyers can feel secure in our choices.

Hope that helps some. Good luck.

I applaud you standing up for your principles. I don't believe that you will have success in moving this mountain, though. BMW seems to have taken the position of warrantying this particular issue for as long as you own this bike. If you choose to tolerate the pain that may cause you, that's up to you. Perhaps you might find a more pragmatic approach of more personal benefit in the long run.

Best of luck on whichever path you choose to travel.

+1, Gunny; I sent out the letters, best of luck to you Randy!

Thanks LBD and Beemerdons for sending out emails

Billy Walker sent the following which is a very well written letter.

Randy, the following has been sent to everyone involved:

Mr. Holdford has explained his unit's issues to those of us in the BMW MOA a number of times. I must say I feel the buy-back offer of $1,241.17 is inappropriate assuming Mr. Holdford's story is accurate.

As of today's date: Thursday, June 06, 2013 the retail value of his unit appears to far exceed BMW's buy-back offer as per both NADA and Kelley Blue Book. I am well aware there are many sources to arrive at supposed retail value of any given vehicle but at the same time your offer appears to be substantially low. These are numbers that I arrived at today:

As per NADA Thursday, June 6, 2013 - Retail value approximately $5,880 to $7,740
As per Kelley Blue Book, June 6, 2013 - Retail value approximately $9,210

Assuming Mr. Holdford's story is an accurate one I feel the gentleman is entitled to a far more realistic offer of buy-back. Put yourselves into this gentleman's shoes and what he has gone through. Is this really the BMW way of handling issues for what appears to be a poorly manufactured product? I personally know of another gentleman (name can be provided upon request) that went through repeated seal failures as well on a R1200RT.

I assume it is not BMW's intent to sell defective product. When issues arise that appear to be the fault of the unit's production it would be appropriate to handle the issue in a moral and ethical manner. If a normal warranty repair doesn't do the job perhaps BMW needs to investigate and do what is right. After all if BMW NA/BMW AG feels it is inappropriate to expense out such a repair can you image what the customer feels like?

In closing, if this gentleman is telling the truth I feel it is the correct thing to do in order to reimburse him a market-justified refund. It is my sincere hope that you will come to the conclusion that handling this issue in a respectable manner is something that is morally and ethically the correct thing to do.

Thank you for your consideration.

Billy Walker

Randy, I wish you the best but fear the worst. If you are able to get market value for the motorcycle you are THE man!! Best of luck!

Randy if you can get the BMW Corporation to do things "the right way" then you are a much better man than all of the rest of us Gunga Din, I have ridden BMW continuously since March of 1969 and I have never seen BMW AG or BMW NA put the customer first - NEVER/EVER!

Trying to teach the BMW Corporation to do the right thing is exactly the same thing as trying to teach a pig how to sing: It is a complete and total waste of your time, plus it annoys the living hell out of the pig! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Then why buy their products? After reading their response, which basically threatened those that emailed on his behalf that they wouldn't get their warranty claims processed, why should we reward their arrogance?

Then why buy their products? After reading their response, which basically threatened those that emailed on his behalf that they wouldn't get their warranty claims processed, why should we reward their arrogance?

Mi Amigo ponch1, the reason I keep buying BMW is due to my loyalty to BMW MOA and specifically to the hundreds - possibly thousands - of BMW Friends I have met through attending the Annual MOA International Rally almost every year since 1979, BMWRA Annual Rallies and regional MOA and RA rallies.

I no longer buy BMW for reliability or factory support (or lack of!), that is why there are two Yamaha FJR 1300's in my garage alongside my many Beemers: A 2003 with over 100K on the odo and my 2013 FJR, with Yamaha products you just change the oil/filter and keep racking up the miles; not with BMW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back