• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Good News: BMW Finally offered a "BUY-BACK" of my 2005 r1200gs

Status
Not open for further replies.

espressoforyou

After 7 long years of going back and forth with BMW NA they finally offered a buy-back of my bike because of the ongoing engine output and counterbalance seal failures.

On Tuesday this week Anthony Cavanaugh(TEAM Leader of pre-litigation and vehicle buy-back with BMW NA) said the following:

"your bike is unrepairable and the only solution is to replace the engine which would cost over $9,000 and is more that the bike is worth".

Anthony then gave me the "generous" buy-back offer of $1,241.17 for my 2005 r1200gs with 42,321 miles on it.. I politely declined the offer.

I even offered to purchase a new f700gs from Bloodworth BMW on Tuesday if BMW NA would give me a reasonable trade assist on my bike. I had David Bloodworth talk to Anthony Cavanaugh, but BMW NA would not increase the buy-back offer.

The only way I was ever able to get in touch with BMW Corporate was by posting on the Motorrad Facebook page and by emailing all the top executives including Vice President of Motorrad NA Hans Blesse along with CEO Ludwig Willisch

I would appreciate my fellow forum members sending an email to CEO Ludwig Willisch at ludwig.willisch@bmwna.com along with Anthony Cavanaugh at anthony.cavanaugh@bmwna.com and Hans Blesse at Hans.Blesse@bmwna.com and commenting on my situation. If I can get 20 plus people to email Anthony, Ludwig and Hans it is possible that they will reconsider their "generous" offer of $1,241.17 for the buy-back of my bike and maybe come up with a reasonable offer.

Thanks for you help.

Randy

After 7 long years of going back and forth with BMW NA they finally offered a buy-back of my bike because of the ongoing engine output and counterbalance seal failures.

On Tuesday this week Anthony Cavanaugh(TEAM Leader of pre-litigation and vehicle buy-back with BMW NA) said the following:

"your bike is unrepairable and the only solution is to replace the engine which would cost over $9,000 and is more that the bike is worth".

Anthony then gave me the "generous" buy-back offer of $1,241.17 for my 2005 r1200gs with 42,321 miles on it.. I politely declined the offer.

I even offered to purchase a new f700gs from Bloodworth BMW on Tuesday if BMW NA would give me a reasonable trade assist on my bike. I had David Bloodworth talk to Anthony Cavanaugh, but BMW NA would not increase the buy-back offer.

The only way I was ever able to get in touch with BMW Corporate was by posting on the Motorrad Facebook page and by emailing all the top executives including Vice President of Motorrad NA Hans Blesse along with CEO Ludwig Willisch

I would appreciate my fellow forum members sending an email to CEO Ludwig Willisch at ludwig.willisch@bmwna.com along with Anthony Cavanaugh at anthony.cavanaugh@bmwna.com and Hans Blesse at Hans.Blesse@bmwna.com and commenting on my situation. If I can get 20 plus people to email Anthony, Ludwig and Hans it is possible that they will reconsider their "generous" offer of $1,241.17 for the buy-back of my bike and maybe come up with a reasonable offer.

Thanks for you help.

Randy

I love my BMW - I hate BMW NA. Why on earth do they insist on treating people like this? From knowingly selling defective merchandise (fuel strips) to intentionally screwing customers with non-repairs (or, failing to provide the repairing dealer with assistance when it is apparently needed) and your insulting scenario. Can anyone explain why this company treats people the way they do and have it make sense?

I will e-mail all parties for your sake. By the way here is book value on your bike:
As per NADA Thursday, June 6, 2013 - Retail value approximately $5,880 to $7,740
As per Kelley Blue Book, June 6, 2013 - Retail value approximately $9,210

I think given the circumstances you would be entitled to retail but good-luck with that. I will be providing the above numbers to all of the e-mail contacts as well.

Randy, please provide your last name and last 7 of the vin to all of us. BMW will need that for unit identification purposes. By the way, have they ever advised you that you are the one creating the on-going problems? Is that the reason for the low offer? Have they accepted responsibility?

I will e-mail all parties for your sake. By the way here is book value on your bike:
As per NADA Thursday, June 6, 2013 - Retail value approximately $5,880 to $7,740

Yea but not with a bad engine!

I will give you 1500 and pick it up at your house. :D

Sorry for your misfortune, is there some background to the story?

This gives me pause in my consideration of a new BMW. Perhaps I'll give more thought to the other short list suspects again. I will email your list of names later and tell them my pending purchase has become a pending sale of another brand due to this story as well.

Good luck;

The F700GS is new in our family here at only 4 months old. YOU'LL like it a lot, if you get one of these:). Really fast 75HP and handle really well. I do not understand their value of your bike process at all? I would accept trade in value at minimum. What's the dealer say about giving you fair trade in value towards F700GS, or they know history of engine too? Let dealer handle BMWNA when they own the bike, they have more ammo to deal with BMWNA, keeping dealers happy. Best case would be crate bike, ship it to BMWNA, care of CEO or R/D Dept., just give it back and advertise your story in BMW'ON and other large publications. Here is good too, but I feel the audience is very small on the forum:(. Your worst thing is you rode it for 7 years and they want to dig you for it, even with all your past records. Keep those records handy, keep using them as your ammo. A lawyer would (probably)eat them alive, but its money out of your pocket. BMW knows this well! A good consumer advocate on your team is pricey, but likely gets BMW to next stage to pay up, imo. Do your homework some more, Consumer News and the like sometimes step up too:). Sometimes what sells magazines is dirt on big Corp. America??? You have your share of dirt piling up here! Best to ya from a very long time BMW buyer here and in your support. In summary, the F700GS we love so far and you go after it, if ya still need a BMW. I think the m/c world of mfg'ers are probably equal same on the other side of the fence, brand X and its just a shame when things go WAY wrong, so few ever step up anymore!!! Its this generation of folks today in my minds eye, as less than able to admit fail when it happens. Lawyers too, run Corp.America and a huge part of admitting guilt is in their ballpark of influence and they most probably see these cases like your failed BMWGS and just fiddle the issue to death, no pay. WHEN we fight back with larger ammo, they perk up, but its a very high cost to consumer to do so, they know it and use it!!! Randy

Thanks Billy Walker, name is Randy Holdford vin# is WB10317A55ZL77208

Thanks for your post and for emailing the executives. My name is Randy Holdford and the vin# is WB10317A55ZL77208.
It is amazing how just it only takes a few emails and social media post to get a corporations attention. I appreciate your help.

LBD, thanks for your post and for emailing the executives.

Send out an email for a couple of weeks to the executives if you would not mind. I think a two week campaign would get some attention. Please pass the word on to other rider of BMW and other brands. Thanks.

Thanks for your comment Polarbear

I rode the f700gs on Tuesday and liked it very much. I did feel a buzz or vibration around 5,500 rpms. I am probably just use to the vibration on my r1200gs and to not notice it anymore.

The 700gs is a very nice bike. I rode a fiends Suzuki 650 adventure last week and it is a nice bike also. It is about $2,000 less and come with nice panniers.

Do me a favor and email and send a few emails to CEO Ludwig Willisch at ludwig.willisch@bmwna.com along with Anthony Cavanaugh at anthony.cavanaugh@bmwna.com and Hans Blesse at Hans.Blesse@bmwna.com and commenting on my situation. If I can get 20 plus people to email Anthony, Ludwig and Hans it is possible that they will reconsider their "generous" offer of $1,241.17 for the buy-back of my bike and maybe come up with a reasonable offer.

pffog, thanks for the offer.

Yea, short version background. Bike broken in half 7 times to replace 15 plus engine output and counterbalance seals, plus several transmission input and output seals along with the clutch, clutch slave cylinder, counterbalance, and counterbalance bearing. And it is leaking again.

Bloodworth offered me $4,000 for trade-in which is not a bad offer considering they know the repair history. BMW NA just needs to step up and make up for the difference in value.

Thanks and please email the following: Please send an email to CEO Ludwig Willisch at ludwig.willisch@bmwna.com along with Anthony Cavanaugh at anthony.cavanaugh@bmwna.com and Hans Blesse at Hans.Blesse@bmwna.com and commenting on my situation. If I can get 20 plus people to email Anthony, Ludwig and Hans it is possible that they will reconsider their "generous" offer of $1,241.17 for the buy-back of my bike and maybe come up with a reasonable offer.

Good response lkchris

Trust me I am tired of posting but don't plan on giving up. I would be glad and help you out of a difficult situation if you asked for my help. Thanks for reading and replying to my postings.

Have a good day

That is good news if it means we can stop reading about it in this forum.

You know something Kent... why don't you direct your annoyance at BMW for messing with this guy for so many years? I think people on this forum need to stick together and fight BMW when things are obviously wrong. I love my BMW but man that company just does so many wrong things to people. We need to stick together as a group when it is appropriate to do so. After all we also tell a lot of folks how great a bike BMW makes. How about telling BMW when they mess up? Seems fair to me.

Thanks Billy for your positive response.

Trust me I can understand Kent's point of view. I am tired of messing with this, but hate to see BMW get away with putting out a defective bike, that they admit cannot be repaired and then offering $1,241.17 as a buy-back.

Defective productive happen, but it is what the manufacture does about the defective product that is important.

This gives me pause in my consideration of a new BMW. Perhaps I'll give more thought to the other short list suspects again. I will email your list of names later and tell them my pending purchase has become a pending sale of another brand due to this story as well.

Now that's really funny!

Polarbear, I have a question about the 700gs

Thanks for your post about my "generous" buy-back offer.

I rode the 700gs on Tuesday and it had plenty of power, handled very well, had good brakes, was plenty fast and fun to ride. My only concern is that around 5,000-7,000 rpm's I felt a pretty strong buzz or vibration. Have you noticed it? Several of my riding buddies have bought the Suzuki 650 Adventure as a second bike to their Harley's. I rode one of theirs on Saturday and was very impressed with it. Rode very smooth, not quite as much power but cost $2,000 less than the 700gs and comes with nice panniers and crash bars. Did you test ride the Suzuki?

Thanks for your input.

Thanks for your post and for emailing the executives. My name is Randy Holdford and the vin# is WB10317A55ZL77208.
It is amazing how just it only takes a few emails and social media post to get a corporations attention. I appreciate your help.

Randy, the following has been sent to everyone involved:

Mr. Holdford has explained his unit's issues to those of us in the BMW MOA a number of times. I must say I feel the buy-back offer of $1,241.17 is inappropriate assuming Mr. Holdford's story is accurate.

As of today's date: Thursday, June 06, 2013 the retail value of his unit appears to far exceed BMW's buy-back offer as per both NADA and Kelley Blue Book. I am well aware there are many sources to arrive at supposed retail value of any given vehicle but at the same time your offer appears to be substantially low. These are numbers that I arrived at today:

Assuming Mr. Holdford's story is an accurate one I feel the gentleman is entitled to a far more realistic offer of buy-back. Put yourselves into this gentleman's shoes and what he has gone through. Is this really the BMW way of handling issues for what appears to be a poorly manufactured product? I personally know of another gentleman (name can be provided upon request) that went through repeated seal failures as well on a R1200RT.

I assume it is not BMW's intent to sell defective product. When issues arise that appear to be the fault of the unit's production it would be appropriate to handle the issue in a moral and ethical manner. If a normal warranty repair doesn't do the job perhaps BMW needs to investigate and do what is right. After all if BMW NA/BMW AG feels it is inappropriate to expense out such a repair can you image what the customer feels like?

In closing, if this gentleman is telling the truth I feel it is the correct thing to do in order to reimburse him a market-justified refund. It is my sincere hope that you will come to the conclusion that handling this issue in a respectable manner is something that is morally and ethically the correct thing to do.

Thank you for your consideration.

Billy Walker

Randy, I wish you the best but fear the worst. If you are able to get market value for the motorcycle you are THE man!! Best of luck!

That is good news if it means we can stop reading about it in this forum.

Although I think Mr. Christensen's comment here is uncalled for maybe we can make an effort to please him. Perhaps the MOA membership can put some type of arbitration board together that would be willing to work with BMW NA (I know... will BMW NA reciprocate). People have stated that I am very much pro-dealer and nothing could be further from the truth. I am pro-morally ethical in decision making and resolution on both sides of the fence. Both BMW and the customer need to be fair to each other.

I have stated many times if you have a dealer who fails to resolve an issue you need to make the dealer aware of it. If the dealer and/or BMW NA cannot resolve an issue after 3 to 5 attempts I feel it is fair to go beyond the norm for the customer and do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. Dealers can, do and will always make mistakes from time to time. Same goes for BMW NA. Same goes for a customer. The parties need to be honest with one another and fix the problem. Customers need to nip the problem in the bud and get those problem units back to the dealer as quickly as possible in an attempt to get them repaired quickly. I feel 3 attempts is more than fair but I'm trying to accommodate the OEM as well as sometimes things can head in unwanted directions. Hopefully everyone involved in the process would agree that 5 attempts to repair is more than fair.

Mistakes and the inability to perform proper repair and/or monetary reimbursement is one thing. However, when an OEM knowingly passes off defective product (example: fuel strips) there needs to be legal repercussions such as jail time for the decision maker. And, for people under that individual's command as well. The only way a corporation gets away with this type of scenario is because employees carried it out for management. It astounds me that a company such as BMW gets away with this type of action. Does the majority of the customer base actually think distributing defective product is an acceptable way to run a business?

It's a shame that something like this has to be even mentioned. You would hope a major corporation would simply do what is right in order to take care of their customer base. It is so incredibly easy to ignore the people that need help.

Once the arbitration board is in place we could make it a rule where all the belly aching is brought to a halt on the forum. Complaints need to be run through the arbitration board. The end result would hopefully appease Mr. Christensen.

Although I think Mr. Christensen's comment here is uncalled for maybe we can make an effort to please him. Perhaps the MOA membership can put some type of arbitration board together that would be willing to work with BMW NA (I know... will BMW NA reciprocate). People have stated that I am very much pro-dealer and nothing could be further from the truth. I am pro-morally ethical in decision making and resolution on both sides of the fence. Both BMW and the customer need to be fair to each other.

I have stated many times if you have a dealer who fails to resolve an issue you need to make the dealer aware of it. If the dealer and/or BMW NA cannot resolve an issue after 3 to 5 attempts I feel it is fair to go beyond the norm for the customer and do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. Dealers can, do and will always make mistakes from time to time. Same goes for BMW NA. Same goes for a customer. The parties need to be honest with one another and fix the problem. Customers need to nip the problem in the bud and get those problem units back to the dealer as quickly as possible in an attempt to get them repaired quickly. I feel 3 attempts is more than fair but I'm trying to accommodate the OEM as well as sometimes things can head in unwanted directions. Hopefully everyone involved in the process would agree that 5 attempts to repair is more than fair.

Mistakes and the inability to perform proper repair and/or monetary reimbursement is one thing. However, when an OEM knowingly passes off defective product (example: fuel strips) there needs to be legal repercussions such as jail time for the decision maker. And, for people under that individual's command as well. The only way a corporation gets away with this type of scenario is because employees carried it out for management. It astounds me that a company such as BMW gets away with this type of action. Does the majority of the customer base actually think distributing defective product is an acceptable way to run a business?

It's a shame that something like this has to be even mentioned. You would hope a major corporation would simply do what is right in order to take care of their customer base. It is so incredibly easy to ignore the people that need help.

Once the arbitration board is in place we could make it a rule where all the belly aching is brought to a halt on the forum. Complaints need to be run through the arbitration board. The end result would hopefully appease Mr. Christensen.

+1, Gunny; very well spoken billy walker, the best of luck to you Randy and yes I did send out my letters of support for you on your behalf!

F700GS answer;

Ours is at 3000m now and I only rode it when much newer with only 500m on it. MY Daughters bike at age 26, she loves it. I think it gets smoother with miles added, all I hear. I did not get to ride it above 4-5000 rpm's as it was brand new engine when I got on it. Dana came home yesterday and said she rev'd the engine to 7000 on the road and it was spooky with HP FAST. She was impressed. Said nothing of buzz. The Suzuki VStrom, if that's what you speak of, IS a very fine best seller for Suzuki, well made. They are everywhere and I hear nothing bad about them. They also make it in 1000cc, VStrom or used to. My Son in Laws new F800GS, same miles as the F700GS here, bought same time, says his engine has improved vastly since new. Much smoother on his 800 at 3500m now. I did notice it on his, as I have ridden it more and a vast improvement with breakin miles added on the 800GS, smoother indeed. The 1200s by BMW are still the leaders in this field of CC's, as I see it, but the little GS's are indeed getting very interesting to me too. Randy

Btw$$$

Our newest bikes ran a LOT$. F700GS begins at 11500$, with all the options from BMW already on bike. A higher end one, built at factory. With all the addons aftermarket bags and all, it got to over 15000$, out the door. The F800GS got to 19000$+. A LOT of nice acces. were added including 900$ BMWGPS. Extended warranty too was added to both bikes to 5 years, included in above numbers$. It alone ran about a grand per bike I think, not sure? Anyhow, by the time you get one out the door, it adds up!!! California sales tax too is stupid HIGH, all in the above prices I mentioned for the bikes. Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back