• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brown or Farley Sidestand for R60/5

kentuvman

The side stand on my R60/5 really sucks - it works but the bike leans over more than 45 degrees - not real re-assuring.

I've read good review of the Brown - are there any advantages between Brown & Farley? I've also read Motobins sells one called a sure foot but from what I saw on their website, they only ship with a trade in and within the UK.

I have (had) Browns on both of my R100 airheads. They worked very well for me. The Browns do not have a flat surface foot, so you'll still need to carry something in your pocket for the sidestand to land on, but no big deal. When I mounted mine on my R100RS, I did not use the exhaust clamp as suggested. Instead, I purchased a "P" clamp that would fit on the frame and mounted the sidestand a little further forward than is usually done. This kept the sidestand separate from the exhaust and more firmly mounted to the frame. Because of location, I also had to do a little "machining", meaning I had to cut away a crescent shaped slice to allow for proper gear **** operation.

As I recall, I got mine from Bob's BMW.

If you go with the Brown, I can swing by on my R100 and show you what I did.

I bought a Farley a couple of years ago. Browns and Farleys are kind of a "class-B" fit on the mono-shock bikes, but I still like it and wish I'd bought one much sooner. With the Farley, the forward part of the mounting bar is set up to attach to the frame (instead of the exhaust) by default and the mounting bar already has a cresent milled out of it for the gear shift. Just like the Brown, the Farley is made from round bar stock, so the foot can sink in soft ground. The Farley also includes a 'long' rear motor mount (bar? stud?) just in case your bike has one that is too short to mount the stand - I did not need that for my 85 R80RT.

You can buy Brown stands from any number of BMW shops and the Farley can be had by calling up the man who makes them. If I recall, he even offered to ship before getting paid. I just gave him a credit card number over the phone and had the stand in a few days.

I think Snowbum has an article comparing Browns and Farleys.

Just got off the phone with Mr. Farley in Michigan, 616 896-8469 - $135 includes shipping "put it on your bike, if you like it, send me a check." Refreshing approach - 80% of the vendors we deal with in our business only care about one thing before they'll process an order - GTM (get the money).

Decided on the Farley side stand versus the Brown because it's a bolt-on assembly - read the Brown's have to be modified - thought, "why should I have do modifications when I'm paying north of $100 for a side stand.

As always, thanks for your feedback.

Just got off the phone with Mr. Farley in Michigan, 616 896-8469 - $135 includes shipping "put it on your bike, if you like it, send me a check." Refreshing approach - 80% of the vendors we deal with in our business only care about one thing before they'll process an order - GTM (get the money).

Decided on the Farley side stand versus the Brown because it's a bolt-on assembly - read the Brown's have to be modified - thought, "why should I have do modifications when I'm paying north of $100 for a side stand.

As always, thanks for your feedback.

Hope Mr. Farley is still in business. Plan on calling tomorrow to buy one for my 77r100s.

Back