• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle Maintenace Costs versus Automobile

I'm going to weigh in and create a whole new dynamic to this thread. First, I live in a place where at the very best, I can ride for 6 months but more realistically, more like 4 months. I pay $2600.00/yr for insurance. I insure three bikes.

My belief that riding is a lifestyle is by sheer blind idealism. In reality, it's just a hobby.

I pay for my hobby because I can afford it.

If routine maintenance on the family ride chokes you up, there is always public transportation. If you compare the cost of owning a boat or an airplane to your motorcycle, the only difference is the scale to what you can afford as a hobby.

No one had said it yet, but a motorcycle is nothing at costing money compared to a nice bass boat. 2 to 4 mpg, top speed maybe 75. depreciation, insurance, and farkles, you MC guys are rank amateurs at farkles. Self steering trolling motors, GPS Fishfinder, electric anchor, power pole. Lures, oh my lures.... And rods and reels.

You want to talk expensive, I had the most beautiful piece of fish you have ever seen. At about $200 a fillet it better be.

Rod

Self steering trolling motors??? What ever happened to the 10-hp Evinrude on the 12-ft Lund?

A little off topic - waranty

Hi,
What about the 3 years warranty if you do your own maintenance? Is there any issues?
Thanks
Louis

Last edited:
As others have illustrated, cars have much longer maintenance intervals then motorcycles, particularly BMW's. So why is this so?
I believe its because the BMW maintenance schedule is determined and set by the finance and marketing departments.

R1200RTW: spark plug $21.44 - oil filter $19.56 - valve cover gasket $69.42 - air filter $35.23.

'16 Corvette: spark plug $6.99 - oil filter $8.50 - valve cover gasket $4.91 - air filter $57.10.

Same here. I have a Chevy Duramax 2500HD with an 8 ft. bed. My friends have no problem calling me to help haul things. Those same friends helped me put a metal roof on my house last year. It must be a Southern thing; we don't mind helping out friends.

No Jerry, it isn't a Southern thing, it's a "good people" thing, which you and your friends obviously are.

That's not too surprising, we generally choose friends with similar outlooks, the same self selection that makes MOA members mostly nice people as well......regards, Rod.

Back