• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS Mounting on K1200GT

dunc723

Peter D
Any suggestions for mounting a Garmin when you don't have round handlebars, like on a 2004 K1200 GT? Are there specific aftermarket clamps available? (Please don't suggest a farkle bar.)

Another option is a Ram ball that mounts on top of your clutch or brake reservoir.

RAM-MNT-015_is

Thanks, several great suggestions in a variety of styles! Thanks also to Darrell P for his offline help. I liked all the concepts; it just comes down to where you want it located, how flexible you want to be, and budget, all yet to be decided.

I used a bar from Hornig that mounts to the two uprights and then recesses enough to fit back under the windshield. I really like the location as it puts things much more just below my line of sight and makes the speedo on the screen far easier to catch of view of than the bikes speedo. In my setup it only blocks the top half of the top most marks on the instrument faces.

I found some cheaper and in a similar design that just ran from one upright to the the other. I liked the recessed quality of this one. The mounting bracket is a very versatile one as well

It was pricy but each time I think of this and how well it works, price per month of great functionality hasn't been that much

IMG_20130113_155818-X2.jpg

Copy%20of%20gps%20mount-L.jpg

I have an ram mount on the clutch cover that is for a camera mount. It works great but having a gps over to the side like that, imho, would result in a bit more of the eyes from the road to consult it.

Here you see both positional

dscf6072h.jpg

A close up of the ram mount from the front. The ram products are also well thought out and functional. I have a ball mount on my other bike and transfer the upright portion and camera mount super easy with just a few twists of the tightening mechanism to undo it and attach it to the other ball mount

dscf6130o.jpg

Hope this helps in your considerations

NCS

RAM B367U can replace an M8 bolt and provide a ball for a mounting arm.

I replaced a handlebar bolt on my RT. it works fine, and cost around $10. Had to source a longer bolt, that actually was the hard part - due to bar risers, plus the original RAM bolts were aluminum.

RAM B367U can replace an M8 bolt and provide a ball for a mounting arm.

I really like the looks of this - very compact. Strange, though, when searching RAM's site for my specific bike, this does not come up as an option, only the brake/clutch reservoir mount.

Do you see any reason why it could not be used with a smaller bolt and a washer (assuming the stem will go where it needs to)?

Might be a sloppy fit with a smaller bolt - but there are variants if you look at the nearby range of part numbers.

Yes, it is a bit hard to find on their site using the wizard...silly of them, but do look around.

BMR Products

BMR Procucts http://bmrproducts.com/products.php?cat=40 makes a good shelf for all the BMW models including your K1200 that will position your GPS in a perfect spot allowing you to keep your eyes on the road at all times. Problem with handle bar mounts is the GPS moves when you're turning, plus you have to glance down.

Another nice thing about the BMR shelf is you can add other items such as a radar detector. Another advantage with a shelf is it shades your panel making it easier to see in bright sunlight. Goes on in minutes, great quality with little vibration.

Photo makes the GPS appear high up, but actually along the lower part of your vision. Really helps to see your speed while viewing the road.

Attachments

• shelf_4.jpg
    shelf_4.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 3,131
What I ended up with...

I went with the RAM ball mount and attached it at one of the fairing attachment points. It took a M5 x 50 bolt and a washer, and I put a #10 x 5/16" x 3/4" long spacer through the barrel of the mount to keep the bolt snug. I can see why RAM did not suggest this mount for the bike - there really are no handlebar bolts where it can be mounted.

IMG_0154 Small.JPG

IMG_0153 Small.JPG

IMG_0152 Small.JPG

I have to say the hardest part of this installation was running the wiring harness. Garmin complicates it by including separate microphone, headphone, and antenna connections in the harness, but the splitter is halfway down the harness, which is now somewhere between the side panel and the fuel tank. If you actually wanted to use them, I don't know where you would leave the ends to make them convenient. I just bundled them all up with tape and covered the ends.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions!

Back