• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which Tire? R12GSA, 8k Trip to Pacific NW

WooDmEn

R1200GSA, I'll prolly do about 8k miles Georgia to Pacific NW for the Rally and back, one-up, lightly loaded. Which tire (both, or just rear)?

Heidi K60 or Heidi K76?

I want something mildly off-road capable; a Tourance would prolly do it but mebbe not. 8k is about the outside limit for me and Tourances, especially on freeways in hot weather bucking a headwind. I hear good things about Heidenaus; the K60 has much deeper tread than a K76, and a solid center section. The K76 is more of an 80/20 tire but seems to have tread only about 2/3 as deep as a K60 Scout. Which gets better pavement miles?

I will not buy Michelin motorcycles, ever. Been screwed four time by them.

Mefo doesn't make a fitment for the big GS.

I don't want to be looking for a back tire while on the trip.

What, oh wise ones, is the collective wisdom?

R1200GSA, I'll prolly do about 8k miles Georgia to Pacific NW for the Rally and back, one-up, lightly loaded.

Can't help you with the tire selection as I ride an RT, but I would be interested in your itinerary as I too am planning on a solo trip to rally and back from NE Georgia. Would like to at least hook up at the rally and compare notes, return plans, etc.....

Rally Trip

Can't help you with the tire selection as I ride an RT, but I would be interested in your itinerary as I too am planning on a solo trip to rally and back from NE Georgia. Would like to at least hook up at the rally and compare notes, return plans, etc.....

Hi! I used to do MSF RiderCourses in Clarksville. Small world. I really don't have an itinerary as such. I have to claim my wife at the Portland airport on Tuesday before the rally, and my health is on and off, so I'm planning on prolly 9 days on the road to get out there, build in some time margin if I don't feel up to par and have to take a day off or something. Want to see Flaming Gorge, passed by it several times never had a change to see it. Other than that, just wander out. Prolly go the peninsula in NW Washington, never been there, if there is time before going to the airport.

You can reach me at: roger@rogerwiles.com 706.897.8266

This Seattle-area 2012 GSA owner suggests the Tourances for all those highway miles. 8000 miles should come pretty close to using up the tires. You'd need a couple of sets of knobbies to go 8000 miles. Off-road stuff in the PNW is mostly gravel and compact dirt. The mud bogs and swamps will have dried out by July. Knobbies are nice for the loose stuff, but it looks like 99% of your riding will be on pavement - so I'd recommend sticking with the Tourances.

Before this thread gets too deep... R1200GSA questions belong in the hexheads forum.

Travel questions are probably best answered in the Just Ridin forum.

You usually get better info that way.

Before this thread gets too deep... R1200GSA questions belong in the hexheads forum.

Travel questions are probably best answered in the Just Ridin forum.

You usually get better info that way.

Agree with moving to Hexheads, but this thread is about tire recommendations, not trip planning.

Back