• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Insurance for long distance riders

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
I've had Progressive for years and have been overall pretty happy with them, though I suspect a sizable chunk of my premiums are going to Flo. Clean record (my only moving violation was in California in 1982 for speeding in a school zone on a bicycle!) and my only claim ever was a couple years ago while driving my truck on an icy road when a deer ran out in front of me. Given a choice of hitting the deer or hitting a large maple, I hit the deer in a very low speed slide. Damage was only $150 over my deductible. So I'm the sort of driver and rider insurance companies love.

But none of the companies I've called offer more than 50 miles towing. I take good care of my bikes, but sometimes stuff happens. Sometimes stuff that can only be handled by a BMW dealer. And if it happens in the lonely corridor from Nebraska/Wyoming/Montana that dealer might be several hundred miles away.

How do others manage that risk?

Pete

I've looked at several threads (including that one started in 2004), but very few shared experiences dealt with long distance towing in the middle of nowhere and most of them took place years ago. Since I tend to avoid metropolitan centers, my question centers on the unexpected far, far from home. Something a bit more current would be appreciated.

Allstate RV tows to the "nearest qualified repair facility". For a tire or battery that might be close. For a shredded transmission that would be a BMW dealership. You might have to "explain" that a Yamaha or Harley dealership isn't qualified, but generally they understand that different brands need different shops. There are no stipulated mileage limits. You can sometime hook up with Allstate RV throuh a reduced price membership benefit with either KOA or Good Sam clubs.

Some folks have had good luck with towing coverage on their main insurance policies. I have never been interested because of their mileage limitations. Where I live 50 miles won't even get me to town.

Progressive Towing

Progressive is also 15 miles or nearest repair facility.

I lost a back tire outside of Gila Bend AZ on old US 80 a couple year back. It was originally towed to Ride Now motorsports, but they could not handle the bike, so it was later towed to GoAZ in Scottsdale, basically 80 miles and it was covered.

Be careful with Progressive. Their roadside is BS. The say you get 15 miles, but they count the miles it takes the tow to get to you. Mine was 24 miles away plus towed me another 30 miles and I had to pay $280. Worthless. AAA's top plan covers motorcycles now. I have that and AMA roadside. Between those two I think you'd be good.

Another plug for Allstate RV Club. Costs about $100 per year. No mileage limit. Good for any vehicle you are in (even a friend's vehicle). Offers discounts and deals in other areas. The KOA discount alone can pay for the Allstate service in a summer's worth of camping. You do not need to insure with Allstate to join the RV club... or own an RV either.

Last edited:
I've had Progressive
I strongly suggest you take a long look at the restrictions on your Progressive policy - based on your thread title.

Unless something has changed, Progressive limits distance traveled to 500 miles per day. I have Allstate insurance on the bikes - USAA on cars. Several years back, I decided to do some comparison shopping. USAA does not insure bikes, they sub out to Progressive.

Progressive was less expensive but I had heard they had a mileage limitation on motorcycles and asked about it. The agent I spoke with checked it out, called me back and confirmed there was not only a limitation on mileage, they had a clause against endurance riding and competitive events. She couldn't tell me what they considered a "competitive event" but knew about the Iron Butt Association. She said she "thought" any riding event like an Iron Butt Rally would be considered a "competitive event".

As to your direct question. I have AllstateRV Road Service. I haven't needed it but a friend did use it when hit RT folded a U-joint outside Jal, NM. They had his bike towed to Albuquerque with no issues.

MY first call:)

I am not relying on any tow truck, etc to get my bike anywhere! I have used UHaul twice to get my BMWs off the road and home or to shop. Sometimes leaving the bike to come back to it, if need be. Rental trucks are almost everywhere nowadays and certainly closer than most tow services and cheaper too. I've never left my bike unsecure, as its always been able to get me to a rental truck:). FD Failure on KLT1200 was last one. 280$ got me home 800+ miles, via UHaul. BMW Roadside payed the entire BILL, I had to ask politely...They accepted the answers I gave:). Randy

I am not relying on any tow truck, etc to get my bike anywhere! I have used UHaul twice to get my BMWs off the road and home or to shop. Sometimes leaving the bike to come back to it, if need be. Rental trucks are almost everywhere nowadays and certainly closer than most tow services and cheaper too. I've never left my bike unsecure, as its always been able to get me to a rental truck:). FD Failure on KLT1200 was last one. 280$ got me home 800+ miles, via UHaul. BMW Roadside payed the entire BILL, I had to ask politely...They accepted the answers I gave:). Randy

How do you tie down the bike in the truck? None of the U-Haul trucks I've ever rented had any attachment points that I'd trust to hold the bike. At best, there was small rail about four feet off the floor.

Just another viable alternative:

Several years ago, I was crossing a very empty part of Nebraska with a couple of Harley-riding friends, when one of them ate an exhaust valve. The ONLY thing around was miles and miles of nothing but farms...
He located a local newspaper and found the cheapest effing pickup truck he could - a real clunker junker, but we loaded up his bike and it got him home to Pennsylvania.

How do you tie down the bike in the truck? None of the U-Haul trucks I've ever rented had any attachment points that I'd trust to hold the bike. At best, there was small rail about four feet off the floor.

I don't do insane mile days but always have several tie down straps and handlebar straps in my top box or saddlebag. If I don't need them, someone else will. Cheap insurance.

I've looked at several threads (including that one started in 2004), but very few shared experiences dealt with long distance towing in the middle of nowhere and most of them took place years ago. Since I tend to avoid metropolitan centers, my question centers on the unexpected far, far from home. Something a bit more current would be appreciated.

My advice is usually, "ride a Harley" Seems like every community in America has a guy who can wrench on a Harley.

BTW, I don't follow that advice myself, but I carry a cell phone and a credit card for my insurance. Oh yeah, and I pray a lot. Your results might vary.

Back