• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How well are K1600's selling?

Exactly.
The changes on the GS signifcantly reduce maintenance and the cost of inevitable long term R&R like clutch jobs etc and eliminate a few sources of seal failures and worn parts. IF the changes are well executed, there will be plenty of benefits but the track record on new models in their first years isn't thrilling, lately. It is in fact a lot like Detroit used to do but with better warranty..

Don't pine for airheads, don't miss carbs, points or other ancient stuff but do like reliable. The current R bikes are extremely easy to service and there is promise of even better with the new one. Current Rs take less work than oilheads by a good margin...The 6 is designed for those who live near a dealer or don't mind carrying their bike to one.

It seems to be a trade off. I had a Kawasaki Nomad before the RT. The Nomad is a very reliable bike and any problems are easily fixed, like cam chain extenders and a stiffer clutch spring. That's it. Now, compared to the RT, the Nomad is somewhat unsophisticated and it isn't the balanced and well thought out machine the BMW is, but it works and doesn't require the care and feeding either. May be the Japanese, namely Honda or Kawasaki, should build BMW's motorcycles. :)

I've talked to two K16 owners this week. The first was local. He refused to travel far because he was waiting for his bike to fail (left or right handgrip?). Supposedly a known failure BMW won't fix until it fails, according to him.
Second was on the road from the RA rally. He was alone because his buddies didn't stop when his oil warning light told him to pull over. Nice guys! He had to stop to top up the oil because his uses oil when he runs at speed in hot weather.
I know two cases don't prove anything, but for me, they represent 100% of the K16 input I've received of late.

I don't think this kind of anectdotal talk really proves a thing. People with problems tend to speak up. I know at least three of us from Michigan went to the RA Rally on K1600's, riding in rain, heat in the 90's, etc. and none of us had any problems. And that doesn't prove anything, either.

I don't think this kind of anectdotal talk really proves a thing. .

It does prove that there are a lot of people out there, who do not want to buy a K16 for a variety of reasons. And they try to justify that position to themselves and others by telling stories about the problems the bikes have.
I am one of the guys who bought one and, so far, had absolutely, no problems with it.

OK, I figure Bob's has over $600,000 in K1600 inventory, Max has perhaps $1.6M chainwide...can we safely agree that there seems to be a glut of GT/GTL's?

I'm not bashing your bikes folks. I think they are way cool. I'm just curious why the dealerships have rafts of a super-premium product. There can't be that many people lining up for $25,000-$28,000 motorcycles.

Thanks, Tom

Really....mine was at Hermy's for 1 day....he was waiting like weeks to get them in....smaller shop for sure but...

What's the big deal about 25k ? can't take it with u!

Take one for a ride....maybe its not for some....I know its for me...and that is all I care....in plan to ride the **** out it...and buy a new one in 3 years

Long beach has two in the showroom one a demo. I have had mine for a year now, bought as a demo bike with 2000 miles on it. Changed the tires out that day to PR3's. 6000 miles later just put another set of same tires on, my bad riding style. Only issue at one year service was rear brakes, luckily caught before damaging rotor. Yes it costs more to operate, remember it has six cylinders, not two or four, my bike is overly maintained, as are my cars and beloved T6texan. Like previous posters have said the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and most people who have had problems will readily share them, as I would also
If your having issues and live in or riding through Southern California check out long beach bmw. Service department is #1 in my book, same goes for sales
FYI. I have no connection with LBBMW just a very happy customer

OK, I figure Bob's has over $600,000 in K1600 inventory, Max has perhaps $1.6M chainwide...can we safely agree that there seems to be a glut of GT/GTL's?

I'm not bashing your bikes folks. I think they are way cool. I'm just curious why the dealerships have rafts of a super-premium product. There can't be that many people lining up for $25,000-$28,000 motorcycles.

Thanks, Tom

So Tom, how are Bob and Max doing with their K16 inventory? Is the glut real or a misconception? How many units a month are they moving?

K1600GTL Reliability

It does prove that there are a lot of people out there, who do not want to buy a K16 for a variety of reasons. And they try to justify that position to themselves and others by telling stories about the problems the bikes have.
I am one of the guys who bought one and, so far, had absolutely, no problems with it.

I've read through all these reliability posts and wanted to add my positive one. I bought a 2000 K1200LT without ever hearing about the drive shaft issues and with 90k miles on it and still going strong with never any major repair, including any drive shaft problems, I can't say enough good about it. I have a 2013 K1600GTL now and have had no issue with this bike either (10k miles). I expect it to be as reliable as the K1200. I wouldn't think twice about driving it or the 1200 across the country or wherever. If it breaks (like almost ALL mechanical things will do), I'll just get it fixed. Both bikes are, in their own respects, the nicest bikes I have ever owned. Thanks!

. I have a 2013 K1600GTL now and have had no issue with this bike either (10k miles). !

So! You and I are the only two guys who don't have a problem. Not a single one. No waterpump problem. No left switchgear problem. No burned out pistons. No regrets. But I am very happy for all those who do not want to buy a K16 and rather keep their or buy another R1200RT.:wave

2 Cents Worth

I had an 02 Goldwing that I put 90k miles on. It had issues at first as does most new models that are a major design change. I bought it used in 03 for half price, because of low confidence in the machine. 90k trouble free miles later it was time for a change. I suspect BMW is experiencing some of the same. I got my GTL in April with free GPS and engine guards. An incentive at the beginning of the riding year on a new machine tells me that sales are below company expectations. That being said there wasn't a 13 GLT to be had in northern California. and only 1 "12' around, the one I took on a test ride on and sold me on the bike. I've put a little over 6K on it so far with no problems.

I've heard complaints on the price of the bike. Go price out a Harley Electra Glide or a fully equipped Goldwing.

So why did I buy a GTL instead of another Wing? All the comfort of the Wing with better performance and agility. People ask me why change. I tell them, "as you ride your bike speaks to you. I could take the Wing around a 30mph corner at 50 and it could do it, but it complained, I'm a big girl and I don't like it. The GTL around the same corner would say, come on lets go what are you waiting for".

I'm also trailer trash. I pull a trailer a lot. Grocery shopping or anything longer then a weekend. The GTL pulls it as well as the Wing did.

Here it is at the paint shop after repainting it to match the GTL. It was Goldwing yellow.
IMG_0053 small.jpgIMG_0054 small.jpg

It looks like the 6 is selling OK for a premium price bike but I expect dealers may have more than they need. Local one has a bunch on the floor, says the F700GS is their best selling bike.
SO went to test ride the new F800GT so I rode it also. I can guarantee to you that if you ride twisties solo it will be a heck of a lot more fun the heavy 6 cyl. The Michigan State Police recently tested all of the cop bikes (they had a euro cop bike version on loan) and it was the fastest around their test track by a useful margin- faster than the RT and so much faster than any cruiser type it might as well have materialized from a different dimension. It is better handling by a bunch than the RT, also. I suspect sales of it will pick up when the word gets out more- it is a nice ride though not without its own design flaws (the biggest of which are the exposed oil filter and the failure to get the pegs low enough, still). But farkles exist to fix or adjust everything as needed.

Of course, there are bikes that handle better around the twisties solo than the K16. I have a couple of them.
I doubt that anybody who bought a K16 bought it just for it's handling capabilities on a track. The fact that it handles a lot better than other similarly heavy bikes does speak for it, though.
I find it strange how people continue to compare the K16 to other BMWs and try to find its weak spots in that comparison. I ask that question again: Was that ever done for the K1200LT?
To me, it is obvious that BMW Marketing does not intend to offer the K16 as an alternative to another BMW but as an alternative to buyers of other full tourer bikes, like the GL and the HD Dresser.
Is there seriously anybody out there, who is torn between buying a K1600GTL or a F800GT????

So! You and I are the only two guys who don't have a problem. Not a single one. No waterpump problem. No left switchgear problem. No burned out pistons. No regrets. But I am very happy for all those who do not want to buy a K16 and rather keep their or buy another R1200RT.:wave

People who have had no problems go out and ride. People with problems go to forums to see if others have the same problems and to find out the solutions.

ps. I know you are kidding.

Out Riding

People who have had no problems go out and ride. People with problems go to forums to see if others have the same problems and to find out the solutions.

ps. I know you are kidding.

You just may be right! I've not been on the forum much since I ride just about every day, but I don't do a lot of other things I should be doing either! Have a great day riding!

So Far

So far it appears that way! I have noticed through life that folks don't praise a good thing nearly as much as they complain about bad things. I try to compliment whenever possible and complain as little as necessary. I do see value in all these forum posts IF someone is looking for SOLUTIONS and not just to air negative perspectives. Have a great day riding everyone!

Back