• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Buying an '06 K1200S - issues and recalls I should know about?

rummy63

Hello, I am buying an '06 K1200S with 24K kilometers or 15K miles on the odometer. I have been without a ride since I sold my beloved '07 K1200 GT. My hope was to buy an '09 model because some of the issues that plagued the pre-'09 bikes were sorted out by redesign in the '09's, but my wife is limiting my funds so I can either wait 3 years until I can afford an '09 and be without a ride or buy a '06 now and at least have something to ride.
The bike looks like it is on showroom condition. The current owner has not had the bike in for service since October 2009. Because he does his own oil/filter changes, he had not taken the bike in for the 20K service. He was aware of the rear suspension lever recall and I made him aware of the cam chain tensioner recall. From scouring different forums, I am aware of the Bucking Bronco Syndrome (BBS) but the owner claims his bike does not have that issue. I have heard there is an airbox/software update but I don't know what that is about. i think it is a correction for those that have the BBS. I know about the Final Drive issue but the mechanic said it is too involved to check it. I have heard about an Immobilizer Ring but I don't know what that means. I remember hearing about some riders being stranded when their bike would not start, so maybe that's what it is. I have heard of the ball joints issue when the bike becomes unstable while cornering. Heard about the bad/warped rotors that will be replaced if I ask. Have heard about the weak rear brake. And the last I know about is the judder/noise in the clutch. I know these issues happened for a small number of owners and most owners don't have these problems. However, I would like to be as informed as possible before I buy the bike. If there is anything else I am missing for recalls or issues, please let me know.
Also, if you have not had any issues and love your K1200S, I would enjoy hearing from you, too. It would be reassuring.
Oh, and for those riders who have rode both the GT and the S, what can I expect? Will the S be that much sportier?
And, in case you're wondering, it is the wasp yellow/black/silver color combo.
Thank-for your time and help. If all goes well, I should be attending the Sportbike Northwest Rally on an '06 K1200S.

I had a K1200S, and am now on a K1200GT. Yes, the S is quite a bit more sporty, weighs less, different geometry/ergonomics, so seemed to corner much easier, as well as slightly different HP rating and gearing. Fuel mileage is a little better on the GT, but only a couple MPG. I miss the cornering and flat out pull of the S, but enjoy the wind protection and upright seating position of the GT. I have 3 bulging discs in my neck that the GT riding position helps with somewhat, otherwise I would go back to the S. I had the chain tensioner stuff done, replaced the airbox to fix the BBS, then added the BoosterPlug to help with low RPM throttle responce. Clutch noise was never a problem on my S like it is on the GT. I like the full size hard bags of the GT, other than that, miss the S.

Good luck, either one can be a great bike. Too bad BMW never really fixed their issues for so many owners, just wrote off the bikes. My next bike will either be a F800GS or another brand. Don't like the weight of the new GT/GTL, and don't trust the new K bike engines to last. Should have kept my 2000 K1200RS in Mandarine/Graphite Checker paint scheme. Oh well, too late to go back now.

I had a K1200S, and am now on a K1200GT. Yes, the S is quite a bit more sporty, weighs less, different geometry/ergonomics, so seemed to corner much easier, as well as slightly different HP rating and gearing. Fuel mileage is a little better on the GT, but only a couple MPG. I miss the cornering and flat out pull of the S, but enjoy the wind protection and upright seating position of the GT. I have 3 bulging discs in my neck that the GT riding position helps with somewhat, otherwise I would go back to the S. I had the chain tensioner stuff done, replaced the airbox to fix the BBS, then added the BoosterPlug to help with low RPM throttle responce. Clutch noise was never a problem on my S like it is on the GT. I like the full size hard bags of the GT, other than that, miss the S.

Good luck, either one can be a great bike. Too bad BMW never really fixed their issues for so many owners, just wrote off the bikes. My next bike will either be a F800GS or another brand. Don't like the weight of the new GT/GTL, and don't trust the new K bike engines to last. Should have kept my 2000 K1200RS in Mandarine/Graphite Checker paint scheme. Oh well, too late to go back now.

John1691:
I really appreciate you replying, especially because you have owned both bike models. Is the Booster plug expensive and what precisely does it fix? Again, thank-you for replying.

John1691:
What brand/model of tires did you prefer on the K1200s? I have Metzlers on the K1200S but had Michelin Road Pilot 2/3 on the GT. really liked the Road Pilots.

The BoosterPlug richens the mixture, from what I understand, to soften throttle responce. It made some difference, not as much as I would have liked, but certainly made riding through town easier, as I used to have to feather the clutch to keep the bike from surging.

On the "S" I had tried Bridgestone BT016's, Conti Road Attack, Dunlop Roadsmarts and Metzler M5's (which I got 5800 miles out of). I think the M5's handled best, but for the price and mileage, the Bridgestones were pretty close at 5000 miles. I have never tried the Road Pilot's, though a friend who also has a K1200GT loves the set he recently installed. I just "cheaped out" and bought a pair of Shinkos to try on the GT (since I tend not to push it as hard as I did the S), but have not mounted them yet, so have no feedback at this point.

I just turned 42,500 miles on the GT, just waiting for the final drive to implode. The "S" had around 30k miles when sold. No issues with it prior to selling, other the the airbox, stepper motor, CAM tensioner, jump guard, wishbone recall, oil fill cap recall....

If I hung out on the Honda forums, I'm sure I see they have issues as well........

The BoosterPlug richens the mixture, from what I understand, to soften throttle responce. It made some difference, not as much as I would have liked, but certainly made riding through town easier, as I used to have to feather the clutch to keep the bike from surging.

I have a '02 RT AND a '06 K12s and bought the Booster Plug to help mitigate surging. IMHO it was the biggest waste of $150 EVER. I'll leave it at that.

On the "S" I had tried Bridgestone BT016's, Conti Road Attack, Dunlop Roadsmarts and Metzler M5's (which I got 5800 miles out of). I think the M5's handled best, but for the price and mileage, the Bridgestones were pretty close at 5000 miles. I have never tried the Road Pilot's, though a friend who also has a K1200GT loves the set he recently installed. I just "cheaped out" and bought a pair of Shinkos to try on the GT (since I tend not to push it as hard as I did the S), but have not mounted them yet, so have no feedback at this point.

I'm running PRIII's on my K12s and can't wait to put a set on the RT. Incredible tire that's showing phenomenal performance and mileage characteristics. I'm very, very impressed with this tire.

I just turned 42,500 miles on the GT, just waiting for the final drive to implode. The "S" had around 30k miles when sold. No issues with it prior to selling, other the the airbox, stepper motor, CAM tensioner, jump guard, wishbone recall, oil fill cap recall....

I've had all the mapping updates done plus the oil fill cap, an entirely new cam chain assembly (post-warranty $$ assist from BMWNA), jump guard, wishbone recall. I love this bike <insert evil grin here>!!

Good luck to the OP with the decision.

Bought to K1200S and couldn't be happier

I am very happy with the K1200S I picked up on June 15th. It feels quicker than the GT and corners as well or better. Love the bumble bee paint scheme. Thank-you to everyone who replied.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 117
I would do the cam chain guard and the tensioner. The antenna ring was not an issue in '06. Most of the other stuff you mentioned was not an issue on my '06.

Back