• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Gerbing controller on older airhead

lubbent
Hi- I've posted this in the Gear section it might belong, upon reflection, in Airheads.
Essentially, I can't get one of the new Gerbing single controllers to work on a /6 or /7 electrical system, even though one of the new dual controllers works flawlessly.
It flashes red (overload) not red-green (low voltage, caused when you have it on while cranking). The only load on the controller is a single jacket liner, and I rarely have it past 50% or so, although the dual will regulate fine on 100% or any setting. The single will not regulate for any amount of time on any setting. It fails after anywhere from 20 seconds to 2 minutes, usually closer to 20 seconds. The first one was replaced by the dealer where I bought it. He said that the returned controller worked fine on a Honda 250. A single jacket liner is well within the specs of this controller.
This occurs on a R90/6 and a R75/7 system. Both have electronic VRs, one from Motorrad Elektric, one from Auto Zone. Both regulate 14.4 when fully charged. So does my Honda Accord and Toyota Corolla. Neither bike has any symptons of over-voltage, and the R90 has an S voltmeter.
Gerbing insists that the dual is just two singles wired to a common input, so there is no difference between the two. But there is, according to my experiences.
So, does anyone out there have experience with the new style Gerbing controllers (MP in serial number) on a similar electrical system?

Back