Thread: Riding from Boston to Charleston SC

dperault

Riding from Boston to Charleston SC

At the end of the month, my wife and I are planning a ride from Melrose, Ma to Charleston SC. Looking for suggested routes, non-slab. I'm thinking at some point I would like to end up on Rt 17 & 12.
    Don

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum Don. Since this is something we generally post up in the Ride Report area- I'll move it over for you. You could also try the Yankee Beemers site- http://kenspring.com/ybforum/forum.php (this is the temp location) for some of the members that may have made the trip.
    Ride Safe. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by dperault731 View Post
    At the end of the month, my wife and I are planning a ride from Melrose, Ma to Charleston SC. Looking for suggested routes, non-slab. I'm thinking at some point I would like to end up on Rt 17 & 12.
    Don,

I would suggest avoiding the major metropolitan areas. For example, I don't mind doing some extra miles to avoid Washington, D.C. and it's traffic jams. In general, instead of a more direct route, you could head west and then south to avoid the big cities. Starting out, Mass 2 is a nice road with some nice twisties in the Berkshires. I'd also avoid the Hampton/Norfolk VA area which has some bad traffic. I rode the Delmarva one time which had a lot of traffic-light stops and wasn't much fun in hot weather. Traffic was also heavy on a Friday.

Harry
    1986 K75C - traded in for:
    2003 R1150RT - Sold to make way for:
    2015 R1200GS Alpine White