• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Silicone Valve Cover Gaskets?

... just don't "wet" them with a swipe of oil before you install them; they tend to squirm around and squish out if you do (both tetch-nikle terms).

I'm Not having much luck with my silicone pan gasket; still weeps a bit with an occasional drip left on the floor.

Here's my silicone gasket experience ...

The pan gasket is a better solution than OE paper but be sure to loctite the screws

Valve cover gaskets only useful if head surfaces are imperfect--otherwise they are a PITA compared to OE

Don't bother with silicone float bowl gaskets as first gasoline contact ruins them

The pan gasket is a better solution than OE paper but be sure to loctite the screws

Counter to my grain, but a few (?) of those holes are "through holes" and oil makes it's way past the threads ... I've been told. Maybe that's what's happening on my /5. Guess I'll bite the bullet and give it a try.

My pan OEM pan gasket never leaked until about a year ago. Careful inspection didn't show any surface damage on the pan or the block but I ordered the silicone gasket and my "leak" pretty much went away, although not completely (we're talking a drip or two every few days or so) :dunno

Back