• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

carbon fiber helmet

2slow

Looking to get a new helmet anybody have a carbon fiber helmet what kind and are the worth the price? looking mostly for the lightness factor thanks

The real deal - to get light- isn't cheap due to manufacturing methods required. Many CF items are really just look-alikes; other stuff with a surface finish meant to look like real CF- and they get no lightness benefit.

After 2 cervical spine surgeries I wanted a light well fitting helmet. I have a Nexx XR1R carbon. I tried it on at the NY IMS 2 years ago, it fit well and I have been very happy with the helmet. It is very light and well balanced on my head. I am also curious about the Lazer Falcon CF, mainly because I would like to try a photochromic pinlock visor.

Both my kids hav'em:)

ICON Variants for on/off roading has semi Carbon Fibre helmets, which are indeed lighter. VERY nice looking too. 500$ at BMW Dealer gets this one. I am not sure what the percentages are of carbon fibre used, maybe most of it???? They sure wear comfy and nice. The CF is just under clear coat and clearly visable through most of one of the lids:). Just got it a few months ago, nothing not to like:). We have three family riders wearing these helmets now by ICON. My last was Arai on/off road, so I know good helmets:). Randy

I have a Joe rocket (HJC shell with better interior), not a bad helmet. It is light and fit well, I have a fat head, so it is hard for me to find a helmet that fits comfortably. I like it, but have replaced it in day to day use with a Shoei. It was a little noisy and didn't vent as well as my previous Arais and the Shoei.

To be honest the weight difference is barely noticeable when wearing it, and with neck problems, I would think aerodynamics, and a premium suspension would be more help than a 8 once lighter helmet.

I went from a R1100S with Ohlins F&R , which rode very well, to a F800GS this year, with Ohlins front and rear and although both were properly sprung and set up, the F8GS, just soaks up the roughest roads and pot holes like a magic carpet. A poor suspension transfers a lot of force into your spine and neck.

Same;

My GSA1200 with Ohlins has same effect, soft if set right. My head is also size 3X and most helmet companies do not make this. ICON does, HJC does too:). I wear the ICON today with equal to Arai performance. Carbon Fibre is in these, the 500$ model Variant. Its a dirt oriented helmet, with nice bubble visor and duck bill. 350$ to 600$ prices on Variant ICONs. Randy

Back