• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Airhead noob????

pbrokaw

Guys and Gals:

If a guy was looking to pick up his first airhead. What would be a good model to start with??? I have a lot of oil-head experience,but none for airheads.

There is a R60/7 for sale,local to me for $2500

9xrsj-3786694348@sale.craigslist.org

I have seen the bike in person yet gone ...I may be too small for my "frame size" 6'2" 260#

Maybe a R80 or R100GS????

Any thoughts??

Perry

I haven't met many bikes I don't like and it sounds like a good deal for the price but that link isn't working for me, (looks like an email link)? Heck, go take a look and try for a test ride, you might love it or hate it, but I say go for it! :german

All Airheads are basically the same frame size. R65 is a little smaller. You would likely like R100GS best, but it will cost more.

My first BMW was an R60/6 with Luftmeister fairing. I found it to be a bit underpowered. Overtaking another vehicle required some planning. The Luftmeister was pushing a lot of air and was difficult in side winds. I would recommend any of the R100 bikes as a good airhead. Had a R100GS and while the engine was strong I found it handled much differently than a /6 or /7. My biggest complaint about the R100GS is the side stand. It's spring loaded with no way to defeat that design and once you get your leg kicked out you are committed and it can slip. I'm 6'1" and found that aggravating. Of course YMMV.

My first two BMWs (after several Hondas, HDs, Triumphs, etc.) were a '71 R75/5 and then a '73 R75/5. Very straight-forward to work on, fun to ride, and zero issues. Very satisfying bikes, tho as mentioned, somewhat underpowered (and under-braked) compared to what's out there now.
The Slash 7 has a beefier frame and a larger alternator. If it's really in decent shape (does the owner have the service records?), it could be a lot of fun.

I'm almost exactly the same size that your are. You won't be too big from an ergonomics standpoint, but if you're experienced wit oilheads, you may find the power a bit lacking.

I've never ridden an R60, but I suspect it would be a great bike for running around on, even if you find it a bit slower than you're used to. That price is OK so long as it doesn't need too much maintenance or repair.

Perry your link is an e-mail address.

There is an orange R60/7 in Mazomanie, if that's the bike it looks to be in pretty good shape. I wasn't too clear on what the seller was trying to describe with regard to the ignition switch.

-Ignition switch does not need a key. Factory location and hard to notice. No permanent modifications made.

If you don't have any two-up touring in mind I think the R60 would work out for you. The wheel base is the same as all other later BMWs so "fit" shouldn't be an issue. As mentioned, $2,500 is petty good price, barring any hidden mechanical issues; especially if it's close by (no shipping charges).

Lew...that's it...the email address matches! :thumb

Sounds like it was a European bike but imported to the US...speedo in KPH.

mmm mm m .... ya got me Kurt. I don't have Outlook up on my 'puter, how did you find the e-mail address? :dunno

I googled the town the OP was from, picked the nearest big town (Madison), brought up craigslist for Madison, and did a search for "R60/7". Bob's Your Uncle!! :whistle

You dog. I just "eBayed" it.
09.gif

hey Perry, I have a R 100 GSPD, and a 1974 R 60/6 caf?. I am 6' 225 34" inseam. both bikes fit me, however I wouldn't want to ride much more than 4 hours on the R 60. on the other hand I have done Iron butt days on the R 100, IMO it is hard to beat a GS as an all arounder.

Attachments

• DSC00179.JPG
    DSC00179.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC01595.jpg
    DSC01595.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 48
Back