• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

OK, Lying in wait?

Polarbear

Polarbear
This RALLY in Salem is just down the road now and almost no chat about it here I see:(. I'm proding the fire, or starting so:). I'm GSGiant oriented, but find anybody on a Beemer or even another Xbike going to Salem my friend. Just seems we must be asleep at the switch or Summer Heat has y'all zoned out, or even those nasty Tornado's in the alley right recent. Hope anybody in the Middle USA has been safe, as I have watched the storms there on TV. Wow factor going on there. Clovis, CA here on my GSA1200 of 5 years now and getting excited about Salem and Oregon again. I have travelled to all the back East rallies too, so no excuses out there, y'all get them scooters, rigs fired up, polished and think'in rid'in West very soon. Canada, come on down, love your country too and have missed riding up there my last few years. Mexico too:). WE always get a few countries in the mix, riders from afar. Even Florida and Alaska are afar. Who's got that long distance trophy space made already? I got a Friend coming from NHampshire, GSA'ing Matt I met last year at the Arkansas GSGiant Camp. Some best friends from Columbia SC on their RT/Trailer rig too will be crossing to Salem. I look forward to meeting all these folks and more. Not ONE word from my California Brethren. I must be cut from different cloth, grew up in Virginia:). ANYHOW, lets not keep this a dead zone, forum page rusting, regarding Salem. I'm just speaking my mind here, y'all wake up, are ya still able to do this? This "Polarbear" will make an effort, usually do. Happy Trails, Randy....PS;HAYFORK,CA., GS Camp, July 14th for one night. (ALL welcome)ITS OUR South to North gathering of the GSGiants and guests, en route to Salem. This locale is a very pretty area of NCal and won't disappoint anybody from far or close. GSGiant Playbooks will come to many signed up and you can play hard at it, as you wish. See y'all, RandyGSA1200, red/white, looks like I travelled the all of NAmerica with stickers all about its panels. Can't miss me:).

I am planning on riding my RT to the rally from NE Georgia. First cross country for me at the ripe old age of 64. Bucket list type of thing. Planning on stopping in Calif. for a few days to visit wife's cousin, then head up the coast to Salem. Return will be more northerly track. Currently a solo ride. Maybe can hook up with others who will be on similar route.

I did a practice run down to Branson MO for a couple of days just past to test out my loading process and weather resistance of my bags. So, I went looking for rain.... (just see how many other bike riders intentionally look for rain). Learned a lot of things while out, like, making sure that I have my poncho inside the tent so that in the morning when it's raining, I can gear up for walking around the campsite before leaving the tent. Another item I learned is that weather resistant and water proof are miles apart when riding down the highway. So, I'm going to have to pop for a decent waterproof bag to place on top of my camping gear bag, so that everything doesn't go into the same bag. Also, since I don't have a trailer, nor intend to purchase one before the trip. And since the back seat on my K12RS is fairly small, I've found that the tent and chair, along with accompanying ground tarp and inflatable mattress need to be in a bag, and not just lashed to the paniers. By lashing to the paniers, it became a big job to get to my rain gear located in the right side, so, another lesson to keep the frog togs up in the top case on the back.... Bobr9, I'd suggest doing the same thing before leaving on your first cross country, as it will help you shake out a lot of loose ends.

So, even with 3 days of riding and camping in the rain, I learned a lot, and am on pins and needles to break camp at home (figuratively speaking) in early July, and hit the road west. I can certainly understand the bucket list reference, as I'm 62, and wanted to ride on a tour to the pacific coast every since my high school buddies went out that way for their senior trip, back in 69. Couldn't afford it back then, and then the war, so now it's time to complete this item from the list. Where my buddies just shake their heads on going for a month long camp-out, I just smile and wish them a long boring July.

Bobr, maybe we'll run across each other on the road west.......

Bobr, maybe we'll run across each other on the road west.......

10-4...we should email or pm our itineraries as we get closer to the rally. Also we should definitely plan on hooking up at the rally at a minimum to compare notes and return schedule.

Great:)

I'm at 61 now myself, so we are of something similar! I have dozens of NAmerican tours in me, so much time out there myself. I like reading your testing the rains, local riding for the BIG one West. Nice. Mark down the Hayfork,CAL locale, you're welcome. Its a basic GSGiant affair, but nobody is turned out as I see it and I am in like Flynn "Polarbear". Its a wonderful part of this state and very closeby to about ALL the touring HOT spots all come to see in N.California. Please look this spot up and camp out one night(HAYFORK), as you head North. We all are going to Salem:). Reads your BMW'ON, its all mentioned. Hope to see ya'll soon, happy trails crossing this great country. YOU KNOW the best thing about the Plains States and touring across what so many call boring country to ride in??? ITS THE FOLKS living there, man they are down to earth, loving people and will step up for the simple HI on the road, when its most needed and you feel the need. Crossing the USA dozens of times and I never fail to meet somebody new in Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and so on and on and they are not even bikers most of the time. A "great country", live it, don't just ride thru it! ....Randy

10-4...we should email or pm our itineraries as we get closer to the rally. Also we should definitely plan on hooking up at the rally at a minimum to compare notes and return schedule.

Sounds like a good plan. I've got my destination routing completed in my head, but will put it down on paper in the next couple of weeks and pm it to you. If we miss paths on the road, I'll be working several evenings in the registration booth so be sure to ask for me when you check-in. I'm traveling solo but would sure like some company at camp in Salem..... Until then....be safe and don't forget to exercise the body as part of your trip preparations. It'll make the long days in the saddle easier to get accustomed to, not to mention the many nights sleeping on the ground.....:) Walt E.

ITS THE FOLKS living there, man they are down to earth, loving people and will step up for the simple HI on the road, when its most needed and you feel the need. Crossing the USA dozens of times and I never fail to meet somebody new in Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and so on and on and they are not even bikers most of the time. A "great country", live it, don't just ride thru it! ....Randy

Hey Randy, I feel you are spot on with this comment. The ride is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but the folks you meet across the country is the most important part of the trip. And something about a Beemer MC tends to provide a lot of openings for conversations. I especially like dropping in on the Micky D's or Hardie's crowds early in the morning and visiting with those folks who have a seasoned perspective on life. Your right about the "great country" we live in, and meeting folks who may agree or disagree with my perspective is always an important (in my opinion) of any trip. Otherwise, I could just ride around my local area, and turn on the travel channel to see the sights...:)

See you at the rally.....Walt E.

Add Spice:)

Ridden almost a million miles now and thanks for affirming my thoughts:). Nobody loves riding more than me, but when stopped and solo, its always very cool to have conversation with local folks. Just NEVER know who'll you'll meet and I have met some real fine people out and about on my Beemers. All walks of life, from the most wealthy to just average folks. Met a guy my age, a tad older perhaps, as I rode across Kansas a few years back at a McDonalds for breakfast. He was just fascinated by my KLT1200 I was on, driving his giant size SUV Diesel Excursion I think. It was huge and very nice rig he had. He made a point of coming up to me(wearing his brand new pressed overalls) and asking a dozen or so questions:). We chatted a while, turns out he OWNED about 500+ oil wells, as far as the eye could see around that area and always wanted a BMW Bike of his own, never been to see'em at a dealer and no dealers near where he lived. What a conversation we had:). Last year, ran into "Facebook" founder on a road trip in Texas, he was out of GAS, hahaha. NO REALLY, he was and I stopped to assist. New Suzuki VStrom he rode solo across country(to Austin) from SFran. We TOO had a great visit and lunch:). ....Just never know. SEE YA'LL in SALEM for certain. Randy

On a shake down ride on my new F800GT. Left home Wed May 22, wind blowing me all over the roads, made it to Ely Nv for 3 days. Brother and I headed north to West Yellowstone in the wind and rain. From W. Yellowstone to Rawilins Wy in the wind and rain. From Rawlins to Windsor Co in the wind, rain, and snow. UGH.

We drove to Custer SD for 2 days, returning Sunday. Departed this morning, met a friend in Castle Rock for breakfast and then back in the wind.

GT running fine, learned a couple of things about packing the bike with the fuel cell. 350-400 mile range is real nice. Expect to be home tomorrow.

Doing the Salem SS1000 from Kingman. Looking forward to the ride.

bob

Coming back from the RA Rally at Chippewa Falls a couple years ago I ducked onto Iowa backroads, then US 24/224 in the general direction of home. Met some really nice folks in the small towns we passed thru. Intended to do it again last summer on the way back from Sedalia, backroads all the way, but the heat was so brutal on Barley that we left at 3am and slabbed to Ohio where the temp dropped to a more reasonable 90F. I felt cheated by that, but LD Comfort doesn't yet make garments for dogs, so we made do.

This year I hope to see more of small town America on the way to and from Salem. :)

Real nice:)

Backroads America is where living on a bike begins, as I see it:). Yea, we've all had that hurry along the Interstates feeling too, as the world back home waits for nobody! Nice to get home. Just, IF ya got the little extra time, find the byways of yesteryear and enjoy what you find. You'll always be richer for it:). Randy

Thoughts to keep this ALIVE:)

Salem Rally chat is popular and NEAT hearing tales of bike/trip prep from various regions of NAmerica coming this way. I live in the West, so this year close to me at 750 miles to Salem. Chime in, lets hear more from every state coming to Salem. Canada, Province? Others too? MY GSA1200 pretty much stays afloat, trip ready. NEW Heidenau Tires added sure nice touch for my off road appeal(3000m on em already). Added extra gas tank I BUILT to fit right side passenger footpeg, holds an extra 1.5 gallons, for those way out of the way destinations I find myself. Alaska heavy on my mind, so North Shore maybe, as my GSA1200 holds 11.5 gallons:). I also wore this extra tank(GSA did) to Misourri last year, may have seen it. I'm a sucker for bigger gas capacity on a bike. Y'all may find the "Rotopax" a NEAT idea too, I see them more and more. Our smaller FGS bikes and KLR are outfitted with them:). IF you have a smaller gas capacity BMW, think on it as you ride the West. We have large gaps in real estate out here and many find this a challenge if not travelled this way before. Gas is available, BUT KNOW when to buy it before you leave "any town" for the next gas may be out of reach? Randy

Gas Tank

PolarBear.... I ride a k1200RS with only 5.8 gallons per tank full, and about 41mpg, less in the mountains so I thought I'd add an extra gallon in a small plastic gas tank that fits inside my side saddle bag, thus providing me with about 240-250 miles till dry.... Will I be finding distances longer than this between fill-ups in states like Idaho, Montana or Oregon? I was hoping that extra gallon would allow me to ride worry free about making the long walk to a station.....

gas

:) Unless you are riding off roads, I would not worry about running out of gas, as long as you are careful. Also, I doubt if you are going to take an RS off-road. However, if you want some peace of mind, I would recommend getting a ROTOPAX gas type can and carry it safely.

Heading up from Los Angeles- First Rally

I will be attending my first ever rally. Route is all planned and ready to download into my GPS. Leaving on Sunday, July 14 and heading up the coast on my 2011 R1200RT. This will be my first long trip on my new to me bike. Previous trips were only to the Bay area and Gold country or Sierras. Last big trip was way back in 1990 to the East Coast. I was younger back then and actually camped out. Left my wife for a month.
I am older now (65) and will not be gone a month. I also will be staying in motels. Yes, I am soft. Oh, and the wife will never let me go for a month again.
Looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing what this is all about.

Hey Cowchip....don't let your wife talk to mine, as this is the first time that I'll be gone for a month, since I left for service back in 1970. I've gotten away with a week at a time for snow skiing, cause she hates the cold, and coupled with, "Honey, this will be my father/soon bonding week" I've never had an issue, but I think she is doing some second thinking about this one..... :) I do have her flying out on the 21st to Seattle for 5 days of sightseeing (car rental) and then it's back to the airport. I'll be like the little kid in the comic strip with shoe prints all over the country before leading back to St. Louie....;):whistle:laugh

NICE and GAS:)

Way to go Don, WELCOME to the mix. You'll have a great time. I have done these Rallies for decades, since the 70s, loved them all. I too, my 60s now and trying to ride more than ever, Alaska after Salem. Look us up in the GSGiant Camp at Salem, chat it up more:). I am "Polarbear", easy to find. GASOLINE in the West is really not too big a thing to worry on. JUST some towns are 50-75miles apart and a few even more miles apart. Just before leaving any populated area, KNOW you have enough in tank to make it. I am a welder and made a rack to safely hold my 1.5 gallon extra tank on right side passenger footpeg, works great, even off road when rough going. I selected the footpeg area , because its low CG and an easy target to mount such. It still sits inside the outer limits of Jesse saddlebags, so if a fall occurs the gas tank gets into no danger of scrapes, direct hits. Inside your bag is, well maybe stinky if the can is not entirely sealed tight. I prefer my gas outside in the open. The ROTOPAX system lends itself to GS style bikes best and maybe your luggage rack on a street bike. Its a VERY POPULAR gas carrier, very secure the way they mount:). They start at one gallon size and run around 75-100 bucks with all the hardware to mount'em(one tank). You WILL see many at rally, folks buy these a lot. Google Rotopax, easy to find. Happy Trails, Randy

SALEM to Arctic Ocean?

Might start asking now, as my plans take me there after Salem:). Leaving Sunday from Rally for a month North, Haul Road to Pruedoe Bay and other Alaska sights. Made it to about half way point one year way back(Mid BC), now time to do it right all the way. I am camping as much as possible and weather permits. I have wet gear for camping, so mostly camping I hope. See how I hold up! My bike, GSA1200. We can share ideas at Salem and maybe even some road time up North. I am torn between riding the entire loop, Cassiar Hwy and so on and/or doing part of the Ferry to Vancouver Island maybe coming back or going North? Its a 13hour+(used to be around 350$) ferry ride. Port Hardy to Prince Rupert. Just my beginning thoughts. I will NOT take the entire inside water passage for my first Alaska trip, wanting to ride most of it. The ferry at Port Hardy is questionable without reserves and my time about the area, im not able to make reservations this early. Walk/ride ons for bikes, ANYBODY know at Port hardy(going North) or Prince Rupert coming South, no reservations? I know they make them, already called. Randy

I did call this AM(BC Ferries, 888#), got answers. The Port Hardy to Prince Rupert is a reservations full ferry, required. Very helpful folks, nice on phone:). Two days or so is all she figured one would have to call ahead to get onboard. 417$, one m/c, one rider is fare, one way. Trailers and sidecars more, two up also more. FYI. Randy

Back