Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Tool Kit 2012 R1200RT

I started with the Cruz tool it, then took a few things out and added a few. I have tools for changing tires on the road, small slime air compressor, Genuine Innovations 45 gram co2 cartridges to seal newly mounted tires, GI tire plugging kit, Motion Pro Bead Pro tire breaker set, BMW spark plug puller tool, and oil filter wrench. I also have a fuel transfer syphon hose, GS911.

Your right, this stuff adds a lot of weight. And it is held in the left pannier all the time. For an RT, not sure you need all this stuff. Especially if your not traveling in the states, as help is usually just a phone call away. Oh, and don't forget your MOA book.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Ed Kilner #176066

Gear on big trip - 1 year ago

1 year ago today I started on my 9,000 km trip west through the US and back to the Toronto area via Canada. First big trip, no camping, and I took too much. Too much in terms of tools, and too much other gear.

Did a blog entry on it - http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/2...1_archive.html
    With pictures too!

Funny how we would hop into a car and take the same trip without much of a thought about tools and such. Our modern bikes are very reliable and our time is limited, so most of us don't go huge distances for months at a time. For those that do, their experience guides them well, and they take a larger complement of tools, likely.

I'm not likely to take anywhere near the amount of tools or personal stuff on my next trip. Especially if I also have to take camping equipment...not enough room!
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

On The Road Again

Lightbulb

On a new R bike I carry; Tire kit with air compressor, Jumper cables, Fuel transfer hose, 3/8 drive Front axel tool, 45 and 50 Torx bits, and the tool kit that came with the bike. My thinking is that I have a few things that will get me going and the tools that a bike shop may need to change a tire. There is one special tool, a short piece of wood dowel with tubing over one end to fit on the headlight connector, to help put a new bulb in place on the RT.

Quote Originally Posted by 30300 View Post
    On a new R bike I carry; Tire kit with air compressor, Jumper cables, Fuel transfer hose, 3/8 drive Front axel tool, 45 and 50 Torx bits, and the tool kit that came with the bike. My thinking is that I have a few things that will get me going and the tools that a bike shop may need to change a tire. There is one special tool, a short piece of wood dowel with tubing over one end to fit on the headlight connector, to help put a new bulb in place on the RT.
    Do you have a pic to show the headlight tool you referenced?

On The Road Again
    Not much to look at, but those of you that have a RT know the hassle of replacing the headlight bulb. Slide the plastic tubing over one of the spade lugs, and now you have a "handle" to help put the bulb into its holder. Still a pain, but this does help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have several times thought that I carry too many tools. I even carry spare headlamps. This stuff not only weighs a lot, it takes up a lot of room in the panniers. But with getting ready to head for the Arctic, I think I will take all this stuff with me.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Not much to look at, but those of you that have a RT know the hassle of replacing the headlight bulb. Slide the plastic tubing over one of the spade lugs, and now you have a "handle" to help put the bulb into its holder. Still a pain, but this does help.
    What size dowel and is that standard fuel tubing. If not, what is the ID of it?

Thanks.

Scot

zip ties and tape???

What kind of repairs are many of you guys making with zip ties and tape?
    Looks like almost everyone that adds to their kit adds them

Quote Originally Posted by trw1956@mac.com View Post
    I was behind a lady who wrecked (didn't know her from Adam - initial exam by a passing EMT seemed to indicate she was ok). We were out in the sticks and no cell phone reception. She had side cases and one was tore loose. A big electrical zip tie secured busted mount in about 30 seconds.

Vice grips make great improvised shifter levers and even created an improvised rear brake pedal out of one. Duct tape will secure a broken headlight bucket, fix a hole you mistakenly burned in your cheap gander mountain rain gear, etc. . One guy I know used duct tape on a rear tire where the steel belts mysteriously appeared and it vulcanized itself as he rode (I wouldn't ever advise doing it. . .but he did and it got him home)

Don't carry a whole roll, just 6"-8" folded back on itself 5-6 times takes up almost zero space.

I carry a large amount of tools; they take-up most of the space in a set of Aerostich tank panniers. I almost always ride with my wife and she carries no tools, so I carry tools for two models of bikes. One item I carry that I don't think has been mentioned is a set of jumper cables. The main reason I carry so many tools is that if I have trouble on the road, someone just may come along that knows how to use them.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Slide the plastic tubing over one of the spade lugs, and now you have a "handle" to help put the bulb into its holder.
    Find any McDonalds and grab a straw. Works fine and easy to find.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trw1956@mac.com View Post
    I carry large zip ties (think 24-36"), have seldom needed them myself, but riding friends have needed them. One went to shore up a leaking final drive boot on an 1150GS, another went to secure a dangling license plate that almost came off on the Thruway in NY. They'd be good for broken luggage, etc.

I think gaffers (duct) tape is next to useless on a bike, would rather carry a roll of 33+ or 88 3M tape -- and yes, I carry a whole roll in the tank bag, works on most anything.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

You don't even want to know.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Still dragging that spare final drive around Paul?
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Speaking of uses for tie-wraps -
    Not long ago, we stopped at a gas station in Gorman (CA Interstate 5) to take a break & refuel.
    There was a young lady in a new small - and pardon the expression, but it's accurate and I don't recall the exact model - El Cheapo Plastic Japanese car. The body panel immediately behind the rear door, ahead of the tire, was literally hanging by one plastic snap-in plug thingie, similar to what is used to attach interior plastic trim pieces. Most of us carry assorted tie-wraps in our kits, so it was pretty easy to use the original mounting holes to string the body section back up so she could safely get it home.
    Knights to the rescue!

re Duct tape - Look specifically for the "Nashua" brand, very strong stuff, and sticks to 'most anything (and yes I carry that too).

Other stuff I aways have: Swiss Army knife (a "Real" one, thank you Linda!), sections of wire (some with lugs already attached), penlight, extra C02 & tire cement, small ratchet, complete set of Torx bits, fair set of sockets + wrenches, lighter, fuses (if it blows "again" STOP because there IS a problem), nylon rope (been on both ends of it!), alcohol wipes (cuts, stings, general cleanup)... And then there's the long-distance kit...

By the way, you can sometimes get that DVM at Harbor Freight as a freebie if you have their coupon.