• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R60/5 Headlight Bucket Help!!!

kentuvman

Hi Gang,

I am in the process of taking my time replacing the handlebar switches. At a tech rally, we'd discovered this bike's wiring has been buggered up over the years. I'm posting a couple pictures - I purchased a new wiring block because you can see something got hot and melted the end of it. On the black wire on the headlight switch, there is a green wire spliced in - wondering if that green wire belongs on the end of the wiring block. Finally, there were 3 wires taped up - I removed the tape and as you can see, the wires are just "there."

I do have a Clymer & Haynes book and am "fair" at reading the schematics. I do know Lew posted a nice color image of the /5 unfused and a B&W of the fused version - mine is fused - the black & white version is tougher to read.

While I'm at it, The Gen light is orange? and the oil pressure light is red?

Thanks much! Oh, the horn wasn't working when I picked up the bike - on the starter button side, the turn signal wire had been soldered a couple times and we saw the wire hanging with a big glob of solder - decided to invest in new switch/harnesses.

Attachments

• Spliced Green Wire to Black Headlight Side Wire.jpg
    Spliced Green Wire to Black Headlight Side Wire.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 67
The Rest of the Nest

Here's the melted wiring block and (3) stray wires!

Attachments

• Burned Wire Block.jpg
    Burned Wire Block.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 68
Making Progress

The Zen flowed into Ken today but not sure yet of positive or negative energy just yet . . .

All wiring connected - studied the schematic from Haynes so I should be close . . .

In post #1 the picture shows a green wire spliced to the black wire, part of the horn circuit, or so says the schematic. From what I could figure out, the green wire spliced with the blue connector provides power but not sure from where and to. Not being incredibly savvy at wiring, everything worked when I first got the bike so my lazy reasoning says it should be okay but I know it didn't arrive from Germany in 1973 with a blue connector splice!

If any commentary on above, lay it on me.

A couple more questions: What caused the wiring block to melt at the end? the wires I discovered were the horn wire and another wire going to the fuse, both black/green. Would hate to have a repeat performance.

Next - okay to test everything w/out connecting the headlight?

p.s. should have rotated the picture - wiring in headlight bucket a LOT more manageable than before - reminds me of trying to unravel fishing line when two fishermen's lines get crossed and the wind is blowing.

Attachments

• nest.JPG
    nest.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 52
My suggestion as to why the wiring block melted is a dirty, high resistance connection somewhere at he board. Did a screw loosen in 40 years? Maybe. Also, lots of improper connections in those pics, and although they seem OK so far, probably should get rid of the splices. Or at least make them soldered, and cover with heat shrink. Or if you have it, use an aviation type crimper with aviation terminals. The crimper is leveraged and the terminals have a lot more contact area. They also specs for a oull strength and will not fail or heat if done right.
Check your wiring colors. There is a convention that BMW uses, and it might not be what we are otherwise used to. Green is 12V from the switch. Green black is fused and switched. Usually a parent color (like green) that has stripes means it goes through a switch or fuse. Brown is ground. Once you understand this system it is a lot easier. If you have the Haynes, as it sound you do, this will jump out at you after two cups of coffee.
I did this with a /6 lately and although there a lot more wires, knowing the convention for colors helps a lot.
Of course, some newer replacements have 'close' colors, so be cautious.
Tom

Rat nest

I'm looking at your photos, and see a lot of non-BMW wiring spliced in. I'd guess that at some time, there was a fairing installed with the usual need or splicing the fairing wired into the bike wiring.
So the first thing I'd do is remove all that excess wiring and all the splices. There have been many references to wiring schematics as well as the posted diagrams providied by Lou. Just check them out to see where your wiring is going and fix what isn't correct. And be thankfull that you don't have a /6 or later harness.

Success!!!

Thanks, Guys - as always!

Lew Morris suggested taking my time and not being in a hurry. In this event, patience paid off with nice dividends.

Connected battery and all lights were working except neutral light - it was a bad connection at the neutral switch - now resolved.

Turn signals & horn working!

Will now remove the blue crimp and solder-splice it into the black wire and use heat shrink tubing.

Moving forward!:clap

p.s. what threw me for a loop besides the melted wiring block were the three wires posted above that surrounded in electrical tape - the colors didn't match up on the schematic - like previous poster says, there is some non BMW wiring for sure.

So the first thing I'd do is remove all that excess wiring and all the splices.

I would still do this Ken. They're future points of failure.

Having things function the way they're supposed to is positive reinforcement for having delved into the head light bucket. Now it isn't a mystery.

Taking my time, Lew - thanks

Does the motor need to be running for the instrument illumination lights to work? I'm getting power to the lights but they don't come on with just the battery - also the high beam is working but the high beam light is not working. Here's a picture of where it's connected to - can't figure this out. The (3) stray wires in post #2 are now covered with a plastic wire nut and I made sure no wire at the ends is present.

Tested the headlight and low and high beam works - just the bright light socket isn't powering on.

Here's a picture of where the wires go on the headlight bulb receptacle - (3) white wires going into one terminal - seems a bit crowded.

Attachments

• headlight wiring.JPG
    headlight wiring.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 36
Figured out instrument illumination lights - intuition kicked in - they're in metal casings so . . . I grounded them to the headlight bucket and voila - they work.

The German engineering is mind boggling!

Just left with the bright light indicator being in-op.

Hi-Beam indicator light is energized by the White wire on the head light socket (56a). It's the simplest, shortest, wire run on the bike.

Bad bulb?

Not grounded? Pull the bulb holder and swipe it with a scotch-brite pad, steel wool, etc. See if you can swipe in inside of the instrument cluster as well.

62148081724.jpg

Back