• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

June ON

lmo1131

First of all, I have to say .... WOW! I got mine yesterday, May 30th

In "To Trailer or Not To Trailer" (pg. 78) it is stated,

A lot of engineering goes into achieving optimum braking, and BMW has certainly led in this regard over the years with the introduction of disc brakes, ABS, linked brakes, floating rotors and now radial-mounted calipers.

I was under the impression that HONDA, not BMW, introduced the disc brake to motorcycling with the first CB750 in January 1969. My BMW R75/5 was the top of the line in 1973, and it had drum brakes on both ends.

Have you ever been questioned by your insurer if you pull a trailer with your motorcycle? Likely not. Consider if you do have an accident the insurer will likely have an escape hatch on paying damages because you never declared the fact to them ... You may have coverage, you may not. Should you ask them the question at the outset? Or carry on and hope all to be well?

With regard to insurance and motorcycles towing trailers, I don't think hoping for the best is much of an option. The resident AAA of Southern California insurance agent of 32 years that I am married to says that [the] " LIABILITY flows with the towing vehicle ", which is to say, if your motorcycle is insured your trailer is covered for any damages it causes. But, neither the TRAILER , nor it's contents, are covered; coverage may be purchased separately. She also commented that she was reasonably sure that this was a common industry practice.

Suzanne's disclaimer: Contact your insurance carrier for specific information about your policy BEFORE you expect them to pay any claims.
My disclaimer: Yes, I have an affiliation with the AAA of Southern California - we were married 30 years ago on Memorial Day.

Last edited:
A pretty good article that has some good information. But I am a little suspect of the thoroughness of his research and/or expertise when he states, "I have yet to see a hitch on the market designed for the potential stresses of motorcycle use..." and then goes on to say how the trailer is limited to 15 degrees rotation and he describes the problems that can ensue. I'm pretty sure that Bushtec, one of the leaders in the motorcycle trailer industry, has a hitch coupler that addresses this concern.

Also, while he says he was part of a committee to revise legislation (page 78, paragraph 2) he admits at the end (Page 81, Summary), "I have no personal experience pulling one."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was under the impression that HONDA, not BMW, introduced the disc brake to motorcycling with the first CB750 in January 1969. My BMW R75/5 was the top of the line in 1973, and it had drum brakes on both ends.

I think that statement was intended to refer to the introduction of these features to BMW bikes, not to the market in general.
BTW, in 1973, the world outside the U.S. already had the R90S with dual front disk brakes

Thanks Mike, I keep forgeting that the R90S actually was introduced in '73.

But being the literal kind of guy I am, when the author wrote " ... BMW has certainly led in this regard over the years with the introduction of disc brakes, ABS, linked brakes, floating ..." I tend to take it at face value.

I think you missed or he missed with his explanation about the insurance. True, the towing vehicle's insurance will cover you to a degree while you tow a trailer, but I believe his reference to an insurance company's escape clause was meant to apply where you exceed the towing vehicle's design limitations or use it for a use definitely not recommended by the manufacturer.

I would think that if you are pulling a trailer with a motorcycle then no matter what happens, you are at risk for having no insurance. The reason I say that is because no manufacture of motorcycles recommends or supports pulling a trailer with a motorcycle. I know my current bike has a sticker right on the air cleaner, Do not pull a trailer.

Seems pretty clear to me that any insurance company would have a way out of a claim.

Worthless

I read the article right until I got to the part where the author confessed he had never towed a trailer with a motorcycle. Then, I went back to read his credentials. He is a retired bureaucrat with the Canadian government. I knew all I needed to know at that point.

Gouldner, 1970, wrote that when reading the research of anyone we should be cognizant of their background and domain assumptions. This article drives that point home very well.

Would you take motocross lessons from someone who had never ridden the track?

If I need trailer I am taking too much stuff or the wrong vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well...in order to improve the stability of the bike when towing a trailer, you could always add a sidecar to the unit...and then trade it in for a Mazda Miata.....

Sorry, my "smileys" don't seem to work from this computer! So you have to assume I am serious...

The side car rig with a trailer has more seating and storage capacity than the Miata, not to mention the cool factor, though the Miata will most likely have a higher top speed. Not sure which way I'd go.......

Probably just pack lighter!

The side car rig with a trailer has more seating and storage capacity than the Miata, not to mention the cool factor, though the Miata will most likely have a higher top speed. Not sure which way I'd go.......

Driving the Miata requires less storage capacity. You don't need room for the raingear and second set of jackets and pants for different weather.....and no helmets needed either

I'd rather have a Mustang GT convertible or an AC Cobra replica. Second thought, the Mustang is more practical and it's more likely I'd fit in it.

At least with the Miata you could put the top up when you meet up with a thunderstorm. Not to mention you could still drive it when it's snowing.

First of all, I have to say .... WOW! I got mine yesterday, May 30th

In "To Trailer or Not To Trailer" (pg. 78) it is stated,

Lambretta introduced disc brakes on its TV175 Series 3 in 1962. There were a couple of British prototypes that Mr Honda not doubt saw on his European excursion through Europe in the fifties. There is the whole scooter thing, but then I am not certain they were first. That BMW has been a leader in development of disc brakes and ABS systems seems reasonable to me, they may not be first in each area of but reasonable. No idea about insurance or trailer hitch research.

I think you missed or he missed with his explanation about the insurance. True, the towing vehicle's insurance will cover you to a degree while you tow a trailer, but I believe his reference to an insurance company's escape clause was meant to apply where you exceed the towing vehicle's design limitations or use it for a use definitely not recommended by the manufacturer.

Insurance departments do not generally allow many escape clauses or denials of liability coverage because it is not in the "public interest". Liability insurance generally covers any accident caused by the "ownership, maintenance or use of the insured vehicle". It is generally very difficult to deny coverage to anyone using the insured vehicle as long as it is the owner or is with the owner's permission. I spent 31+ years as an insurance adjuster trying to find loopholes and other ways to avoid paying claims. If it was a close call, we provided coverage because of the millions of dollar exposure for "bad faith" claims and hugh fines imposed by state insurance departments.

Driving the Miata requires less storage capacity. You don't need room for the raingear and second set of jackets and pants for different weather.....and no helmets needed either

If you are wearing your gear, no need to store it, and I have never carried extra jackets. I like the Mustang idea, though.

Well...in order to improve the stability of the bike when towing a trailer, you could always add a sidecar to the unit...and then trade it in for a Mazda Miata.....

Or two...:whistle

Now if I could add a sidecar to a Miata :ha

I read the article right until I got to the part where the author confessed he had never towed a trailer with a motorcycle. Then, I went back to read his credentials. He is a retired bureaucrat with the Canadian government. I knew all I needed to know at that point.

Gouldner, 1970, wrote that when reading the research of anyone we should be cognizant of their background and domain assumptions. This article drives that point home very well.

Would you take motocross lessons from someone who had never ridden the track?

This article was not research but simple opinion. While I have no desire to pull a trailer with my RT i struggled to make it through the article. I understand the magazine is mostly written by volunteers. In a case like the trailer article, the title should have been changed to "why you shouldn't tow a trailer." And it should be placed in an editorial section.

Joel

Article authors

This article was not research but simple opinion. While I have no desire to pull a trailer with my RT i struggled to make it through the article. I understand the magazine is mostly written by volunteers. In a case like the trailer article, the title should have been changed to "why you shouldn't tow a trailer." And it should be placed in an editorial section.

Joel

I have been reading ON for quite a few years and one of the things that attract me to the writings is that they are written by riders with EXPERIENCE in the subject. This was some retired bureaucrat from Canada playing nanny state with no real knowledge to back up his line of BS.

Would you take an article on riding water crossings seriously if it was written by someone who had never done a water crossing?

Back