• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Favorite Hot Weather Jacket, "To mesh or not to mesh"?

pmcharman

I'm searching for the perfect hot weather (>90 degrees f )jacket and would love to hear from MOA members about their experiences.

Thanks,

PMC

I just replaced a Joe Rocket summer jacket that had zippered vents with an Olympia Switchback, which is a summer vented jacket. I haven't had it long, but would say I prefer the vented jacket over my other jacket. I used it today in 94 degree temps, and was as comfortable as one can be in those temps. As long as you're moving there's lots of airflow, which I didn't have before. In the hottest weather I wear a camelback and am not sure if this will reduce air flow. I suspect I'll have to drink more fluids and will need the liner on cool mornings, but am happy with the change.

I'm searching for the perfect hot weather (>90 degrees f )jacket and would love to hear from MOA members about their experiences.

Thanks,

PMC
Welcome to the forum! I'm running a mesh jacket from Vanson and it has worked out great....protection and airflow. Gary

I use a mesh BMW Airshell up to about 95 degrees and am as comfortable as you can be. Above 95 degrees I add an LDComfort shirt soaked in water under the Airshell. LDComfort recommends using a textile jacket with most vents closed to extend the evaporative time.

My commute home is about 1 hour and with the Airshell and LDComfort shirt and headband I'm very comfortable. Riding over and hour in temps of 115 (last year) would have been difficult b/c the shirt begins to dry out after 1 hour with a mesh jacket.

I plan to try the textile recommendation this summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Summer equals MESH:)

I like my year round jackets best for all the protection and material around me, BUT. Summer heat gets those off me into mesh riding jackets. My First Gear Jacket is about 10 years old, showing fade, but still nice in heat. 114 riding in Kansas last Summer as I crossed the USA. About killed me, even in mesh! I carry underneath garments for cooler climes with mesh only jacket far from home, because the USA has such variable temp ranges as you hit the mountains and coasts. A waterproof liner is also needed at times, under the mesh, but these pack small. Unless you live in the far North, mesh is required in about the lower 40 or so states. Randy

Another point!

My hottest day on a bike was 116 in Phoenix and I could hardly breathe, get out of there. Needed to be there for a new tire that couldn't wait, so I suffered. I can hardly believe all over the USA what I see riders wearing on HDs to many others on any brand bike. Many go almost bare while riding in heat and it must be a education barrier here going on? Ever see a bare Arab in the desert. Wonder why! They know covering up is a benefit from sun and our Mesh is our best solution and cool vests, BUT how many riders don't get it??? I think the best educated riders and most are BMW owners get it and show it. Be proud of your gear in heat, as you pull up to a bunch of sleeveless whatevers out there:). You'll live longer. Randy

That is a great link posted by GarthW from the IBA.

Here's my personal experience: If I'm going to do a distance ride, I wear a textile jacket with LDComfort undergarments. Once I become uncomfortably warm, take a 1 liitre water bottle and pour water down your sleeves, and wet the front & back of your shirt simply by pouring the water down your collar. This requires about 1/2 litre. Though it sounds counter-intuitive, close all the vents on your jacket, and zip it all the way up to your neck. Leave your sleeves unzipped to allow air to "run" up your arms. You have just created an evaporative cooler inside your jacket.
It will fill your jacket with cool air, and you can regulate the amount of cooling by unzipping the front of your jacket at the neck about an inch to allow more air to escape. This however allows your shirt to dry faster. With my jacket zipped tightly around my neck, I can stay cool for 30-45 minutes then use the other half of the litre water bottle to wet myself down again.

I ride an RS so my sleeves are out in the wind all the time. On an RT you will need to hold your sleeve out into the wind for 30 seconds to get some air flow up your sleeves.
It's like having A/C on a motorcycle. One word of caution however, be careful and do not wet yourself down close to sunset. If you do, you will freeze-literally! I did this coming across Kansas
last august, and had the shivers so bad I had to stop.

Also great at rallys when it's super hot. Soak down your shirt and be cool all day long!

Ken

I've had great luck in the high 100's with an LD-COMFORT shirt soaked in water & a closed up jacket like a Darien. Basically, open the sleeves & let the air conditioning in. Worked better for me than mesh. Though, when I don't want to be wet, I wear mesh.

That is a great link posted by GarthW from the IBA.

Here's my personal experience: If I'm going to do a distance ride, I wear a textile jacket with LDComfort undergarments. Once I become uncomfortably warm, take a 1 liitre water bottle and pour water down your sleeves, and wet the front & back of your shirt simply by pouring the water down your collar. This requires about 1/2 litre. Though it sounds counter-intuitive, close all the vents on your jacket, and zip it all the way up to your neck. Leave your sleeves unzipped to allow air to "run" up your arms. You have just created an evaporative cooler inside your jacket.
It will fill your jacket with cool air, and you can regulate the amount of cooling by unzipping the front of your jacket at the neck about an inch to allow more air to escape. This however allows your shirt to dry faster. With my jacket zipped tightly around my neck, I can stay cool for 30-45 minutes then use the other half of the litre water bottle to wet myself down again.

I ride an RS so my sleeves are out in the wind all the time. On an RT you will need to hold your sleeve out into the wind for 30 seconds to get some air flow up your sleeves.
It's like having A/C on a motorcycle. One word of caution however, be careful and do not wet yourself down within an hour of sunset. If you do, you will freeze-literally! I did this coming across Kansas last august, and had the shivers so bad I had to stop.

Also great at rallys when it's super hot. Soak down your shirt and be cool all day long!

Ken

I've had BMW Airflow 2 and 3 and now 4 (not labeled that in USA). I am becoming convinced that the black version does indeed reflect heat as promoted (Cool Black technology). I'm still learning as regards undergarmets but am sold on LD Comfort shorts and will likely try their shirts shortly. (A fun pair of words!) In the meantime, Cycle Gear had Bilt Heat-Out shirts on sale recently and now have a couple but not tested yet. My expectation is that more expensive (LDComfort) will be better than cheap.

An interesting product described here: http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.ns...cool-but-your-body-cooler-on-a-motorcycle.htm

I like my Olympia mesh jacket, has a rain liner that does not feel like a trash bag, a good percentage of mesh, but ballistic material at impact zones. Much better quality than my previous Joe Rocket.

Didn't read where the OP lived. Think all the responses so far are for the "dry heat" in the West. My cheap $2 "cooling vest" came from a thrift store. It WAS a heavy long sleeve cotton pullover that zips up the neck. I amputated the sleeves and also the body at navel level so my pants don't get wet. When it is over 90 F., I soak that baby in a river or gas station sink, wring it out slightly and have several pounds of water available for evaporative cooling. The high thick neck is especially great. With a mesh jacket it kept me at a reasonably comfortable temperature for three hours in +90. Last year used that same soaked shirt for a couple hours, same high temp, but under a Rev'It jacket with front and rear vents open. That also worked well. Sorry, haven't conducted a comparison test.

If you are dealing with east coast "humid heat," I don't know if ANYTHING works. Maybe some riders from the east (Florida?) can tell us how you survive your summers.

Thanks,

PMC

I remember traveling through the town of Libby, MT on the way to the Spokane rally and the heat was next to unbearable. I was fully dressed in leather, cooking myself to death, when sitting at a stoplight another BMW rider pulled up next to me and asked how it was going. I mentioned I was hot, and he said "ditch the leathers" as he pulled away. He was fully dressed in clothing that I found out later was mesh, but I had yet to learn of mesh in my little world.

In Spokane, I did some quick learning and then shopping. I traveled home in 99 degree heat with a Mesh Tex mesh jacket on and thought I had died and gone to heaven. Like someone mentioned above, it was like having AC on a motorcycle. That was several years ago, and I have yet to wear the leather again. Why I keep it is beyond me. I have since purchased cold weather riding gear also.

Proper clothing. It's everything in the motorcycle world. Get some and you will never look back.

That IBA article should be required reading for anyone who does hot weather riding- if one wants to understand the science behind possible gear choices.

Evap cooling works fine in many places, especially in drier western states, but as one approaches saturated humidity, it works less well.

There is another choice which I prefer when doing full days in near saturated conditions- it is the Veskimo. The motorcycle adaptation of a racing cagers ice cooled suit. Needs to be used under clothing that blocks wind, not full open mesh....Has to be filled twice during a long day but ice is no problem- cheap at any gas station..Like A/C for your bike- except your head will still get hot unless you do something about that also.

West is Best:)

No doubt living in the far West has advantages to evap cooloing. I rode across WVa. a couple years ago and being from California, jusr rode thru a few storms as I may do in my home part of the country. WHAT a mistake! I got soaked and stayed that way all day in that humid clime. Never dried. I grew up in Virginia but forgot! Its takes about mid Kansas West, up and down the USA to make the evap cooling thing work best. The very thin garments today as in Under Armor and the like are the ticket to cool, or even cool vests. Some of the black apparel today ARE cool black tech and reflect the sun heat. I have a couple just bought made by UA, nice. Expensive T's, but nice. I grit my teeth buying these, but found I will go back for more. Randy

Motoport Air Mesh

I wear the MP Air Mesh Jacket & Pants....LONG sleeve LD comfort shirt, or wicking fiber shirt + camelback with ice+water in 100 F temps on long rides......

I wear the MP Air Mesh Jacket & Pants....LONG sleeve LD comfort shirt, or wicking fiber shirt + camelback with ice+water in 100 F temps on long rides......

me too, plus wetting down the shirt, the helmet liner and a dickie.

The Motoport has lots of armour, so even though it is mesh, it seems to allow just the right amount of air flow. :thumb

Tour master air intake mesh

I like a 3/4 length jacket for most riding, but if I know it is likely to Be very warm I take my Air Intake jacket - mesh, with goretex and insulated layers if needed. Feels quite protective and is very breezy.

John

Back