• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Posting Photo Problem

Darryl Cainey

Sir Darby
Since the new upgrade I can't seem to post any pictures.

Never had that problem before!

I click on the upload icon and it just sits there, nothing happens?

A empty box appears and it won't go away till you leave the page.

What I have noticed is that the photos will up-load....but it takes much longer than it used to. (I take it you are looking to "attach" a photo from your computer?....using the "paperclip"....browse, select, etc?)
Gary

Darryl -

As Gary says, it seems to take a long time even for small pictures. Note that the original picture should be small to begin with...the attachments table says how big they can be. I've found that they can be bigger than that, and the forum software will work behind the scenes to reduce the size...that might be part of the reason it takes a long time. If the picture is just too big, it won't load at all.

Not sure what you mean by white space. I looked at the carb pix which I believe is what you were uploading. You type what you want in the usual message area (you must type something...it can't be blank) and then go to the manage attachments to upload the picture. If you need to, go back to the message are and update it. Whatever you type will always be above the pictures you upload.

I was able to load the picture but an empty box covers the area where you want to type.

The cursor is in this box and you can't get out of it or type anything in it after the picture is uploaded.

Sample upload. I just upload this....once the upload completed, I closed the window (for the upload) and could then go back to the text area. I had no problems at all. :dunno

Attachments

• R25_2 Avatar.jpg
    R25_2 Avatar.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 54
What I don't get, is that before everything was fixed, photos uploaded just fine big or not. we"re talkin about computers, that's these super intelligent devices that should be able to figure out how many kigabits or megabits are coming through the system and make the simple appropriate adjustments. this isn't nineteen eighty four and it's apple ones we're working with. Not much to look at these days, just the usual stuff, how to adjust review mirrors etc.

898 -

There has always been a restriction on size...IMO it wasn't working 5-6 months ago. I remember one post that was probably 4Mb...you had to scroll left and right as well as up and down. It also took a ridiculously long time to load that particular page every time you went to view it. It was stupid.

Not sure why it takes so long now, but there's software working in the background and depending on the size of pipe they have open, it will take a while. Also remember that on your own computer, downloads are fast while uploads are typically 1/4 to 1/6 slower. Generally people are downloading web pages, so they put the speed in that. Just the nature of the beast.

Don't remember the size of my file pictures, but they uploaded after a short time. Now it says "upload did not work" or some such message. Not complaining, just communicating. Tank's done, you'll have to see it on the road.

I uploaded something this morning...no problems. I've received the "upload failure" message, too, but it was because I started with something like 1Mb. Probably something like 200-300Kb at a maximum should work.

OK, just finished a series of uploads in the testing section. I tried various JPGs I have that ranged from 47Kb to 2.94Mb. Typically, loading time was around 40-45 seconds per image. The 47Kb loaded in 25 seconds.

I stepped up slowly from 47Kb to like 100Kb and then went up roughly 100Kb for quite a bit. Again, most load times were around 40 seconds. I tried one at 2.24Mb...got upload fail after 86 seconds. I tried a smaller one at 1.99Mb and it loaded in 55 seconds. I tried another big one, 2.94Mb, but it failed to load after only 26 seconds.

So there might appear to be a limit of around 2Mb for the original size. But I think that's variable because I'm sure what's going on is the software is using some JPG compression tools. If the original picture is quite dense or complicated, it won't compress as much...whereas if it contained a lot of sky or clouds, that compresses more easily and a bigger picture might actually work.

As the attachment key screen indicates, if the image can't be compressed to 153Kb, 800 pixels wide, or 1000 pixels high, then likely the upload will fail.

That's the best that I can figure out. Basically, do some of your own compression before you try and upload...you'll be happier!!

Kurt, I think there is still some kind of a weird glitch, or maybe we just need to see "The New Picture-Attaching Instructions"... I've had pix in a few of my recent posts, and it's always taken at least two attempts for the pic to upload. Also, mine post with a gray border and the paper-clip "Attached Image", where other guys' sometimes don't. Edumacate us agin pleeze?

Last edited:
Paul -

There really are two ways to show an image in a post. One is through a "hot link" to a web hosting site, such as flickr. In those case, the image should not have the gray border around it. The other way is through the forum software upload feature, which seems to have the gray border and paperclip icon on it. This feature can be invoked two ways - through the little paperclip icon above the area where you enter the text, or by scrolling down below the text area and see "Manage Attachments". Turns out selecting the paperclip icon gets you to the same "Manage Attachments" area. From there, it should be easy to proceed. You browse to find the image on your computer, select upload, and when successful, close the window. Finally, save your post.

You're not supposed to be able to upload the same image more than once...it appears the software checks the name and doesn't let the second attempt complete...you get no really notification of that...it just doesn't upload. I've documented in the Settings description where you can see all the attachments that you have uploaded...you can delete them there, but of course, that deletes them from the original post. But you can link to them if necessary without needing to upload them again.

There has been a recent incident where one person uploaded the same image in the same post...weird. You can check on the source of the picture by right clicking on it and go to Properties. It will be obvious if it was uploaded or if it is a hot link to a web hosting site.

I'm not sure about the difficulty you've been having. I've shown that it does take a long time to upload, and if it fails, usually there's no error message other than "failed to load". The next time you have this issue, PM me and we can work together to see what is going on. I can try it on my end to understand what you're seeing.

Thanks again, Kurt. I wasn't actually having a "problem", but having to do it twice was a little annoying... The border with the paperclip seems to be normal, so that's OK too.

Just as an FYI for everybody - If you want to post the same picture again, you can copy the original over to your desktop (or anywhere else that's convenient for you), alter the picture in any minor way (crop, color, etc.), and re-title it ... then you can post it.

Paul -

I'm still wondering about the "twice"...I don't understand why you would have to do that. The next time you have to do one twice, let me know and maybe we can work something out where I can get your original and try it myself. Just trying to get to the bottom of it.

Back