Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Day-to-day life with the wethead

thanks Ian!
    Ride Well

Cruse control - a near-perfect Godsend

Not being overly familiar with other BMW cruise control (I did have one on my 04 K12RS), cruise control adds a great deal to the GS's pavement pounding capabilities.

The throttle lock on my 1150 is convenient for those every-so-often itch-and-scratch moments, but one really needs all the functions, such as accel/decel and speed control on roads that are not level. The only glitch in an otherwise perfect solution is the ability to smoothly transition from cruise to manual throttle.

There are four ways to do this:

1. Apply front or rear brakes
    2. Roll off throttle
    3. Pull in clutch
    4. Switch off the system

... and most of them result in a "bwwwuuuuuhhhhhhhhh" sound from the motor as compression braking occurs because the throttle doesn't pick up. If you have a passenger, their helmet clunks yours (not actually tested yet, but I bet).

Of all your options, snapping in the clutch and switching the system off provide the smoothest transitions. Careful throttle management helps. Clearly this will take some practice. (Of course you can click back the set speed lever and decelerate smoothly...)

But I ain't complaining! For years the GS has needed cruise control to complement its great highway capabilities, and it really helps when you need to knock out those 8-900 mile or more days.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

Sand and other soft stuff

Comments here are for sand, haven't gotten a chance to test in mud yet, but with the tires on this bike, I can assure you it will be mud-challenged. Watch this space for a test of the new Metzeler Karoo 3 at the rally in July.

In sand, while knobbies definitely help, you can make effective progress even with street-biased tires.

The wider tire widths of the bike make a noticeable effect. The front wheel still plows, but not quite so quickly, and if you're comfortable with using throttle to drift the front wheel, it will regain its direction without much drama.

This is also a good time to talk about the Enduro setting on the stability control system. It allows for a fair amount of rear wheel slippage before adjusting power output, and the ABS has become a great rider aid in braking downhill on sand or loose rocks. It still helps to balance the use of both front and rear brakes.

There is an Enduro Pro mode available, it's enabled via an electronic jumper (no, not that kind of jumping) but I have to go to the dealer so they can show me how actuate it. fwiw, I prefer the clutch for controlling rear tire traction, and I would imagine the Enduro Pro mode supports that.

The bike should be very interesting to ride with a set of enduro tires and the Enduro Pro mode. What I've seen of the ESA in off-pavement riding tells me that performance should be significantly superior compared to previous models.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Not being overly familiar with other BMW cruise control (I did have one on my 04 K12RS), cruise control adds a great deal to the GS's pavement pounding capabilities.

The throttle lock on my 1150 is convenient for those every-so-often itch-and-scratch moments, but one really needs all the functions, such as accel/decel and speed control on roads that are not level. The only glitch in an otherwise perfect solution is the ability to smoothly transition from cruise to manual throttle.

There are four ways to do this:

1. Apply front or rear brakes
    2. Roll off throttle
    3. Pull in clutch
    4. Switch off the system

... and most of them result in a "bwwwuuuuuhhhhhhhhh" sound from the motor as compression braking occurs because the throttle doesn't pick up. If you have a passenger, their helmet clunks yours (not actually tested yet, but I bet).

Of all your options, snapping in the clutch and switching the system off provide the smoothest transitions. Careful throttle management helps. Clearly this will take some practice. (Of course you can click back the set speed lever and decelerate smoothly...)

But I ain't complaining! For years the GS has needed cruise control to complement its great highway capabilities, and it really helps when you need to knock out those 8-900 mile or more days.
    I just tap the clutch lever. No need to pull it in.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    I just tap the clutch lever. No need to pull it in.
    I discovered this somewhere in Louisiana, but it only works about 2 times out of 5 for me, ... so, this no doubt takes some practice.

I discovered this somewhere in Louisiana, but it only works about 2 times out of 5 for me, ... so, this no doubt takes some practice.
    May be I tap harder.
    My Motorrad

The tap is certainly not like the whisper you do on the brakes in a car...

What I was experiencing was tapping not quite hard enough... again a little harder... again a little harder and bwuhhhhhhhh.... too hard.

So I started rolling the throttle the most teeniest of bits while tapping the lever and that seems to work, about 2 out of five times. Need practice!

Mind you that I am looking for a near seamless transition.

The tap is certainly not like the whisper you do on the brakes in a car...

What I was experiencing was tapping not quite hard enough... again a little harder... again a little harder and bwuhhhhhhhh.... too hard.

So I started rolling the throttle the most teeniest of bits while tapping the lever and that seems to work, about 2 out of five times. Need practice!

Mind you that I am looking for a near seamless transition.
    I guess the RT is different or may be it's just me.
    My Motorrad

It would be interesting to try side-by-side. I don't know if it's the throttle-by-wire or me. Most likely me.

With cruise control engaged roll the throttle on until you feel some resistance or you feel a slight increase in throttle, that is where the throttle resolver is set at. Pull the clutch lever in slowly until you find where the clutch switch disengages the cruise control, walla, smooth transition. Now that you have learned how much movement it takes for the clutch lever you can move it quicker the next time.

Thanks for this, Ian. Riding a new BMW on the Angeles Crest would be my definition of having a good time.

Had my LC for about 6 weeks now...Hooykaas
    And you immediately had me Googling. Ah: "liquid cooled".
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by hungstart View Post
    With cruise control engaged roll the throttle on until you feel some resistance or you feel a slight increase in throttle, that is where the throttle resolver is set at. Pull the clutch lever in slowly until you find where the clutch switch disengages the cruise control, walla, smooth transition. Now that you have learned how much movement it takes for the clutch lever you can move it quicker the next time.
    The GS is throttle by wire. There is no resistance to feel. At least there wasn't on the test bike I rode. It was nothing at all like the cruise control on the K11LT which was my only other experience with BMW cruise control.

As for the enduro pro plug... Page 58 of the riders manual (available here) makes it look like this is a simple thing for the user to install. Remove it from its "holder" under the saddle and plug it it.

I just got the manual from the press people... I did find what was clearly a jumper under the seat, and I'll bet the manual shows you where to connect it. Gotta run now, working with some Asheville BMW Riders on day rides for the Adventure RAid.

If you look under the seat where the jumper is...right under where the jumper is on the seat my bike has the receptacle with a cover over it in a clip.

kencc
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Come on BMW, deliver the bike I ordered two months ago.
    I ordered mine 2 months ago also . Just got word it is going on the boat June 4 arriving the 17 in NJ.Hopefully get it soon after.