Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Worth it!

Darryl: I worked out your cost per mile to $.00129, so I think you did OK.
    Last edited by Rinty; 05-31-2013 at 02:49 AM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Hmmm....I actually rebuilt and sync'ed my own carbs on my '83 R80RT. I did not use the new alcohol kit. No ethanol in Michigan. I am getting around 48.5 mpg (US) over a period of about 6,000 miles. Some tanks I get 50+, some around 46 mpg. The problem I first had was getting over the fact that I am getting such good fuel economy and that I must have done something wrong. I rationalize it by thinking I may just have better airflow (lower pumping losses) with a K&N filter and a SITO exhaust. Plus I use NGK Iridium plugs. Plugs look very nice with just a touch of brown at the base and lightly browned 'trodes.

MY PO said he was getting 45 mpg but his plugs were dark and oily looking things.

Let me know what you think of this, but man, I gotta be a happy guy too.
    Helmut always wears a Helmet.

Here are my bikes statistics.

1977 R100RS with 517,000 total mileage
    at 110,000 miles I transplanted an engine from a 1984 100RS with 6,000 miles

Sito Exhaust, K&N Filter, flow through oil cooler extension oil pan.

Slightly more compression than stock, .040 milled off the heads.

Unleaded valve seats

Thunderchild Diode Board

Very happy with my bike & choices!
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Bing rebuild well worth it

I had my Bings rebuilt for my '77r100rs by Bing and couldn't be happier. For me, it was accepting my limitations. I can do valve adjustment, PRT seal replacement, etc., but too many small parts in the carbs, etc. After rebuild, I had my mechanic sync. I also have him "fine tune" the point gap and timing. He's been doing it for 30 years, so it's intuitive for him. I've been practicing law for 28 years, so that's intuitive for me. Air heads are simple by design, but when you are in the middle of nowhere motoring along at 80 mph, the last thing you want to be thinking about is a maintenance item you should have left to to a pro. BTW, my carb rebuild cost was $395 U.S.

hey Darryl, nice carbs, I am happy your bike is running great. I am curious what Bing might have done to increase your gas mileage. I recently rebuilt my Bings ( 1990 R 100 GSPD, 32 mm ), I had never done this before, but the bike seems to be running good. I figure I am getting about 40 mpg US, I go on reserve around 320. the carbs seemed pretty basic inside, I replaced the main jets ( 135 ) floats ( standard ) float needles , diaphragm, needle jets, and throttle cables, cleaned real good, and put it back together, I had a factory trained tech help me with the carb sync. I am running Heidanu K 60's, and I was getting 38 or so with Metzeler tourance's. ( before rebuild ) I had let my bike sit for some time, and although it ran ok, I knew it could be better, inside there were some gunky deposits. so I have seen a 1 or 2 mpg increase ( although I did go to a more aggressive tire ), was your increase more than that ? thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    don't know where I'm going, but I'm making good time. 1990 R 100 GSPD, 2005 R 1200 GS

accepting limitations

My only limitation is my shallow pockets. Cost vs Value does not play. I needed my bike re-built: if it was going to get done, I was going to do it. If I was still married my s.o. would make me sell it and take her out to dinner with the proceeds. When I went to school the most valuable lesson I learned is that I can learn to do anything I want. There is a point somewhere where I will pay, but usually I come away disappointed. The last thing I want 80 miles from anyplace is wondering If the old pro's apprentice followed instructions. I am all about hiring someone to do the job if it is in the budget, but I will save my dollars for the machine shop where the toys are more expensive. If it is in your budget, take it to a pro and you will be very happy if he did a good job. Don't spend dollars needlessly. An air-head is the ultimate home mechanics eternal project. You can do it if you take your time, be neat and organized. The parts are all unique and hard to mix-up. Do one side at a time. We have the internet to get advice and instruction, (Google Chris Harris on you tube for example) the only thing holding you back is your self imposed limitations. Because you are an expert in one field does not mean you are incapable in an other.

1982 R100T (in S trim) on the road again, 1992 R100RT on the bench (for my first go round with her internals.)

Quote Originally Posted by 128521 View Post
    hey Darryl, nice carbs, I am happy your bike is running great. I am curious what Bing might have done to increase your gas mileage. I recently rebuilt my Bings ( 1990 R 100 GSPD, 32 mm ), I had never done this before, but the bike seems to be running good. I figure I am getting about 40 mpg US, I go on reserve around 320. the carbs seemed pretty basic inside, I replaced the main jets ( 135 ) floats ( standard ) float needles , diaphragm, needle jets, and throttle cables, cleaned real good, and put it back together, I had a factory trained tech help me with the carb sync. I am running Heidanu K 60's, and I was getting 38 or so with Metzeler tourance's. ( before rebuild ) I had let my bike sit for some time, and although it ran ok, I knew it could be better, inside there were some gunky deposits. so I have seen a 1 or 2 mpg increase ( although I did go to a more aggressive tire ), was your increase more than that ? thanks
    The biggest difference was because of the Independent Float Kit.

Plus redone throttle shafts, and new slides.

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    Darryl: I worked out your cost per mile to $.00129, so I think you did OK.
    I didn't think of it that way, thanks for that, my money was well spend in my opinion.