• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Poll: Engine output seal and/ or counterbalance seal leaks on your r1200.

Have you had and at least one Counterbalance Seal or Engine Output Seal Fail?

• Total voters
No problem Martyhill, thanks for all you input

Hope to see you at one at the rally. I might be riding a Suzuki 650 Adventure.

Thanks again

Glad to hear marty

My best friend and riding buddy has a 2005 R1200gs red just like mine and never had any problems with it. No leaks at all. If yours has not leaked by now it probably never will leak.

Good for you and most of the other 2005 gs riders.

2005 GS bought new. No leaks so far 83k miles. No warranty work except for the 5 recalls.

Summary of problems with BMW NA and the MOA Forum

Several people asked why I waited 7 years to "demand" a new bike. The answer is that I did not wait. I have been asking for 5 years. It took three years to reach Anthony Cavanaugh. I spoke with the 1-800 customer service employees many times. They were nice but would not pass me up to the next level. I only received a call from Anthony after posting on the Motorrad facebook page asking for help.

The very first time that I had the bike repaired it was one month before the 3 year factory warranty expired. Most lemon laws state that you must have 3 or more repairs for the same problem during the warranty period. So it would have been difficult to win under the lemon law rules of TN.

If nothing else good comes out of this at least the members will know how to reach Anthony Cavanaugh(pre-litigation and vehicle buy-back manager). Anthony.cavanaugh@bmwna.com His direct line is 201-263-8215

Two weeks ago is the first time that BMW declared that "I have a unrepairable and defective bike and the only solution is a new engine". It took seven years for them to admit this and that is why I have started this email and social media campaign at this time.

You are right, $1,241.17 is an insulting amount of a buy-back offer and that is what got me all fired up and pissed off. If Anthony would have offered normal trade-in value I would have accepted it and bought a new bike and that would have been the end of the story

I agree that the MOA needs a more powerful voice to be able to influence BMW NA to take a second look at problems when they occur.

As an example: I talked to the MOA staff 5 years ago and the only solution they had was to put me in touch with the MOA liaison person. I think his name was Jim. Jim was very nice and was kind enough to make a few phone calls for me but Jim admitted that he does not have any power to get anything done.

So the MOA forum moderators had no clue how to contact BMW. There helpful information was to give me the customer service 1-800 number. Trust me, the customer service reps are very nice but are nothing but talking heads.

Being a moderator has to require a lot of time and I appreciate them being willing to donate it. The forum would not work without their help.

It nothing else good comes out of my saga I hope that the forum will demand that the MOA get some "balls" and find out how to make BMW pay attention.

All right, I am off my soap box and will not be posting any new threads on this subject.

Thanks for all the positive replies and suggestions. I hope you have a good summer.

Back