• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Recovering Jap bike rider...saw the light!

Another thing you can do is to check with Beemer Boneyard for a spare wheel, and / or manual. It's a good outfit.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/

Beemer Boneyard had only rear rims for the last month, I found one rim at Woody's Wheel Works for $249 but after calling them three times and speaking to three different women who each promised to email me some detail pictures(the website only had a thumbnail pic) and then never did...I've written them off!

I worked out a deal with Bergen BMW, I'm dropping the bike with them this Monday for a head to toe maintenance..sort of a 12/18/24k service combined, while they are working on the bike I'm giving them a pre-tagged box to ship the tire/wheel to "Wills Rim Repair" in S.C. I read a lot of kudos for "Wills" and his price of $65 can't be beat! If all goes well the restored wheel should be back on the bike by the following Monday or Tuesday and hopefully my R1100R will be running at it's best and I'll have a baseline to start learning it.

Have Bergen check the wheel for run out, etc. before they re-install it. BMW has a specification on what's allowed. My tech had to send my Snowflake wheels back to the wheel shop twice, before they were acceptable. Good luck.

I see there are a number of wheel shops in the Manhatten area. Do none of them take motorcycle wheels, or are they too expensive?

I see there are a number of wheel shops in the Manhatten area. Do none of them take motorcycle wheels, or are they too expensive?

Who does motorcycle wheels in the Manhattan area? Please let me know today so I can call them first thing in the morning. I'm scheduled to deliver the bike to Bergen BMW tomorrow morning and they are going to ship the wheel for me, it would be great if I can do it local.

Thanks for the runout tip!

Once you ride the bike through a few tanks you'll have a VERY clear idea on the mileage for next fill-up. I always use the trip odometer and my K has a fuel gauge. I know it is scary at first to find those limits but bikes seem to run out at near identical mileage counts based on your individual riding style. I always get 165 miles before my light comes on.

Welcome to the fold

You have now joined a fraternity of some of the most interesting (and sick) people you will ever meet. Some things you may expect:

1. You will begin to ride more and become adept at making up excuses to ride; (like the time I told my wife I needed to head to Cape May NJ in late March in 43 degree weather-I believe I told her that was to improve my mental health-FAT CHANCE!!!)
2. You will begin to become more interested in your particular motorcycle
3. You will begin to think about riding to distant places
4. You will begin to take your riding gear more seriously
5. You will begin to think about going to rallys"
6. Your significant other will not believe you when you tell them that you are only going to the BMW dealer to "windowshop"; Whenever I tell my wife I'm going to Hermy's her question is always "are you going to buy another motorcycle?"
7. You will take your riding skills development more seriously
8. You may be adopted by a cranky old fart who will teach you the Tao of BMW motorcycles and freely share their opinions whether you want to hear them or not
9. You will meet some truly obnoxious people who think a $3000 riding suit means that they are in some way superior to you
10. You will meet some of the best riders/wrenches and friends you will ever know.

Go to rallys, learn about your bike, improve your riding skills, improve your riding gear and just plain get to know "the folk"

If you happen to be in the Scranton, Pa. area, you always have a place to stay

One last thing......
Remember when you get a bunch of us together that the first liar doesn't stand a chance

Will 70125 19 year member

Do oilheads really vibrate this much at 75+mph?

You have now joined a fraternity of some of the most interesting (and sick) people you will ever meet. Some things you may expect:
Will 70125 19 year member

Thanks Will...I'm already there for most of the list...waiting for the "old fart mentor" part.

Just got the bike back from Bergen BMW where I left behind a grand having them fix, tune, replace every fluid, filter and part that could wear out...hopefully I'll have a couple of trouble free seasons ahead of me now.

The one question I have is ..and it's mostly aimed at fellow oil heads...is noticeable vibration at 75+ mph normal for this bike? My last bike was an '84 Honda V45 Sabre that was smooth as butter at high speed. I have no reference points where Beemers or boxers are concerned.

...is noticeable vibration at 75+ mph normal for this bike?

Suggest you get someone with a lot of boxer time to take your bike for an extended ride. They do buzz at certain rpms. My 1150 was smoothest between 4,000 and 5,000 rpm.

But it's pretty hard to beat the smoothness of a V4, and the 90 degree configuration of the engine gives it perfect primary balance.

On a boxer twin, the primary and secondary forces theoretically cancel out. But, as Kevin Cameron writes, that doesn't mean that they're not there.

Suggest you get someone with a lot of boxer time to take your bike for an extended ride. They do buzz at certain rpms. My 1150 was smoothest between 4,000 and 5,000 rpm.

But it's pretty hard to beat the smoothness of a V4, and the 90 degree configuration of the engine gives it perfect primary balance.

On a boxer twin, the primary and secondary forces theoretically cancel out. But, as Kevin Cameron writes, that doesn't mean that they're not there.

Hi Rinty, I joined the Citibeemers club and hope to catch up to them one Sunday morning for their rides, I figure I can get one of the group to swap bikes for a short distance just to give me a reality check.

Thanks Will...I'm already there for most of the list...waiting for the "old fart mentor" part.

Just got the bike back from Bergen BMW where I left behind a grand having them fix, tune, replace every fluid, filter and part that could wear out...hopefully I'll have a couple of trouble free seasons ahead of me now.

The one question I have is ..and it's mostly aimed at fellow oil heads...is noticeable vibration at 75+ mph normal for this bike? My last bike was an '84 Honda V45 Sabre that was smooth as butter at high speed. I have no reference points where Beemers or boxers are concerned.

I have a 1999 R1100R with almost 90k on the clock and yes vibration is normal at that indicated speed. Now here is something you may not know: BMW speedometers typically read fast by approximately 5 to 10 mph. BMW actually released a bulletin many years ago discussing this. My speedometer reads fast by 7 mph at pretty much anything from maybe 30'ish and higher. Therefore indicated 80 to 90 actually works well for both vibration and the law.

Of course, you may not be able to run those speeds on the GSP, the PIP or Route 17 but it is what it is. Enjoy the bike!!

I have a 1999 R1100R with almost 90k on the clock and yes vibration is normal at that indicated speed. Now here is something you may not know: BMW speedometers typically read fast by approximately 5 to 10 mph. BMW actually released a bulletin many years ago discussing this. My speedometer reads fast by 7 mph at pretty much anything from maybe 30'ish and higher. Therefore indicated 80 to 90 actually works well for both vibration and the law.

Of course, you may not be able to run those speeds on the GSP, the PIP or Route 17 but it is what it is. Enjoy the bike!!

Hi Billy, I had read about the speedo issue when I was shopping for the bike, when i said vibration at 75+mph the speedo was registering 80mph and I adjusted. I'm shopping for an iPhone mount and plan to clock the bike on my TomTom app which gives extremely accurate speed readings using combined GPS/cellular signals and hope to get a precise idea of how much the speedo is off. I suppose the fact that the speedo is over optimistic will keep me out of trouble, but it's annoying none the less. They weren't joking when they called the R1100R a naked bike...I'm guessing on both speed and gas tank fill.

BTW: I want to re-upholster the seat...any suggestions for a good shop?

Hi Billy, I had read about the speedo issue when I was shopping for the bike, when i said vibration at 75+mph the speedo was registering 80mph and I adjusted. I'm shopping for an iPhone mount and plan to clock the bike on my TomTom app which gives extremely accurate speed readings using combined GPS/cellular signals and hope to get a precise idea of how much the speedo is off. I suppose the fact that the speedo is over optimistic will keep me out of trouble, but it's annoying none the less. They weren't joking when they called the R1100R a naked bike...I'm guessing on both speed and gas tank fill.

BTW: I want to re-upholster the seat...any suggestions for a good shop?

If you're going to re-upholster I would work with someone local. I imagine Bergen might be able to provide some recommendations.

What you may want to do however is replace the seat. Doing this will give you FAR MORE comfort than the OEM seat. There are a few well known seat companies but my personal suggestion would be to look into the following:

Russell Day Long
http://www.day-long.com/

or

Sargent Seats
http://www.sargentcycle.com/

My personal preference would be Russell Day Long. Having said that both of these companies make excellent seats and both are known for comfort and quality. You're never going to know which one you like best unless you buy both anyway so do a bit of research and read other opinions. Then pull the trigger and buy. You won't be sorry!

How's the TZ doing these days? Still scary in the right-lane while riding a motorcycle given your seat might be higher than the guard rail? Or, do you do the George? Actually it appears you live west of the Hudson now rather then Scarsdale?

If you're going to re-upholster I would work with someone local. I imagine Bergen might be able to provide some recommendations.

What you may want to do however is replace the seat. Doing this will give you FAR MORE comfort than the OEM seat. There are a few well known seat companies but my personal suggestion would be to look into the following:

Russell Day Long
http://www.day-long.com/

or

Sargent Seats
http://www.sargentcycle.com/

My personal preference would be Russell Day Long. Having said that both of these companies make excellent seats and both are known for comfort and quality. You're never going to know which one you like best unless you buy both anyway so do a bit of research and read other opinions. Then pull the trigger and buy. You won't be sorry!

How's the TZ doing these days? Still scary in the right-lane while riding a motorcycle given your seat might be higher than the guard rail? Or, do you do the George? Actually it appears you live west of the Hudson now rather then Scarsdale?

I'm holding off investing in a custom seat until I've put some good miles on the bike and I'm positive I want to keep it for years. That's why I don't mind spending up to $200 now. I use both the TZB and GWB depending traffic...the TZB usually has less traffic and is much cheaper but takes me out of the way when going to Manhattan. I'll check out the Day Long seats tonight...thanks!

Somehow I had a feeling that would be the response from this group ;-)

LOL........Welcome to the addiction.........Err I mean club.

Last Sunday I rode to the vintage breakfast and there was a lone BMW in the lot when I got there, yes it was raining.

Once mine was parked there it became 2..............Rod.

Back