• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Blown oil seal(s) on '08 RT?

bobframe

I discovered a couple of small oil pools on the floor beneath my '08 R1200RT (new to me 60 days ago). Upon further review, I could see ample evidence of oil having been sprayed all over the rear wheel, brake caliper, under the final drive and drive shaft and around the swing arm. In short, a mess.

The bike is now at the dealer and it will be a week before they can look at it...so I thought I'd begin torturing myself with "what-if's".

AKA, if anyone has any suggestions on what I should expect of the dealer's service department, I'd appreciate it.

What's my best case scenario? Worst case scenario?

Anything that I should ask for/insist on while they have the bike on the operating table?

Last edited:
...oil having been sprayed all over the rear wheel, brake caliper, under the final drive and drive shaft and around the swing arm. In short, a mess...

That is how I would have described the mess made when my rear shock seals blew on my '08 R1200GS. Not making a diagnosis, just comparing descriptions.

Since oil will blow backwards - where was the furthest forward spot you saw oil?
Good question and it was pretty far forward. Could have been from where the shock attaches to the swing arm. BTW, just noticed that my '06 1200GS is leaking a bit in the same area.

Last edited:
That is how I would have described the mess made when my rear shock seals blew on my '08 R1200GS. Not making a diagnosis, just comparing descriptions.

I'd say this is possible. What color is the shock oil? What I observed was typical "honey" colored oil dripping.

MY GSA did this;

Just last year my GSA1200 sprayed the same locations with rear shock oil. I immediately thought my FD was leaking, but found the leak genesis was bottom of shock. ALL the oil came out quick, from that rear shock. BMW replaced my FD bearing, after checking it, but it was shock oil indeed. 2200$ later, Ohlin's replaced my stock BMW shocks @ 74000miles on bike. Your engine should be very easy to see the leak origin with a little investigating. Start with shock look see. Your slave cylinder for clutch is in back of engine too and many have done this in past. Check your window level on reservoir at handlebar? Randy

Just wondering who did you buy it from and can that party shed any light on the issue?

Best regards,

Dave McDougall
2011 R1200GS

One more item, quick!

Don't know your experience level owning these? Sorry if out of bounds here! IF you have been adding oil, checking oil at wrong temps of engine and so on, over filling the engine is an issue? MANY have had this happen over the years, overfilling oil. An overfilled engine will eventually start seeping oil thru seals AND in many cases STOP doing so with proper amount of oil in there. ITS very easy to think the engine oil is low if checked at wrong engine temp...Always check it when at full operating temps, 5 minutes rule when stopped for gas or so on:). Randy

Don't know your experience level owning these? Sorry if out of bounds here! IF you have been adding oil, checking oil at wrong temps of engine and so on, over filling the engine is an issue? MANY have had this happen over the years, overfilling oil. An overfilled engine will eventually start seeping oil thru seals AND in many cases STOP doing so with proper amount of oil in there. ITS very easy to think the engine oil is low if checked at wrong engine temp...Always check it when at full operating temps, 5 minutes rule when stopped for gas or so on:). Randy
I've added nothing to this bike. Oil level at sight glass was about halfway last time I looked. I also have a GS and I'm a bit concerned that we may have overfilled its oil...but I digress.

Just last year my GSA1200 sprayed the same locations with rear shock oil. I immediately thought my FD was leaking, but found the leak genesis was bottom of shock. ALL the oil came out quick, from that rear shock. BMW replaced my FD bearing, after checking it, but it was shock oil indeed. 2200$ later, Ohlin's replaced my stock BMW shocks @ 74000miles on bike. Your engine should be very easy to see the leak origin with a little investigating. Start with shock look see. Your slave cylinder for clutch is in back of engine too and many have done this in past. Check your window level on reservoir at handlebar? Randy
This bike has 13,000 miles...is this a bit early for rear shock to take a crapper?

This bike has 13,000 miles...is this a bit early for rear shock to take a crapper?

My '08 R1200GS had 37,000 miles when the shock failed. It is easy to diagnose if the shock seals failed and lost all oil, how much dampening is there when you bounce on the rear of the bike? Mine bounced like a ball.

It was just after leaving from Memphis toward Central America when mine blew. I had the shock replaced at Baton Rouge BMW. When I got back to Wisconsin 3 months and 13,000 miles later, I mentioned this to Kent, Service Manager at Schlossmann's BMW in Milwaukee, he asked for a copy of the repair bill and then worked with BMW to get me a 70% refund of the out-of-warranty repair. Hat's off to Kent and Schlossmann's BMW!!!

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?65032-ESA-Rear-Shock-failed-08-R1200GS

Last edited:
Oil;

Overfilling is tough to get leaks happening from it, UNLESS a LOT was added when not needed. Most engines can handle the slight overfill syndrome. Say half a quart to a quart over is getting into trouble here, most probable. I think all the ones I have come across discussing this have added a half QT to an engine never needing it added, just read at wrong engine temp proceedures for such. Its such a common issue with BMWs thru so many years/decades now, its still something of a topic. Your issue may well be something entirely away from this overfill phenom, just beware it exists. My current GSA1200 gets 4 qts exactly with filter change and I don't even want to look at window anymore, except when engine is hot at gas fill'ups only. I think the glass window oil check on these twins has been such a confusing factor to this engine to its owners, it should be a serious consideration for BMW to change its design, eliminate it... I have NOT looked at the NEW water cooled boxer to see IF its a change or not? The computer diagnostics on board(BC) even tells the engine oil is OK. BC Probably does not recognize an overfill in its diagnose ability. Good luck with your leaker. Randy

I'd say this is possible. What color is the shock oil? What I observed was typical "honey" colored oil dripping.

The color and smell should be the give-away. Engine oil doesn't stay honey colored for too long, transmission and fd oil smell like sulfur, clutch oil loss at the rate you describe should be very noticeable in the reservoir. Shock oil is at least a plausible candidate from what you describe.

Seal(s) identified...

Service dept called with initial diagnosis..."Output Shaft Seal" is leaking for sure and the "Pinion Seal" may also be a problem. Thought the guy who'd done the work would have looked for and ID'd any rear brake issues...but none reported.

Back