• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Weekend getaway (just rambling)

Justscootin

Jeff Wilson life member
As mentioned in an earlier post (squeaky seat) I mentioned I went to my first rally in about 12 years.

Packing the scooter, tent, sleeping bag, thermarest and a few odds and ends under the seat. My cooler and personal goods in the top box. Simple nothing on the outside of the scooter. The truth is you do not need a lot of stuff.

Getting there, if I rode the highway it would have been 2.5 hours and that is not what I bought the scooter for. I set my gps for motorcycle and to avoid highways and toll roads. The total distance only 40 miles more but the time frame 2 hours more for a total of 4.5 hours. That is what I am looking for. Where I am there are very few twisties, an okay number of sweepers and a lot of farmland. Not my favorite riding but much better than the slab.

The seat, need I say more. Actually the seat is very comfortable for the first 2.5 hours then the hotspots start. You want to find more room so you can move your butt around, the backrest is as far back it goes.

When I started going to rallies in 1987 through to 2000 then sold my last k75. I grew up with a lot of the same riders as we all met at the same rallies.

At the rally I had the only scooter and very few had ever seen one and only a few had interest in it.
As for the rally 12 years later, the people there were the exact same people that were there 12 years earlier. There were very few younger people and less older people. The overall population was down. Is this common.
People are still buying bmw bikes.

When I had my k75 in the 80's and 90's I had a Russell daylong saddle I did a lot of long days as I was a rally rat as some people would say. I had 200,000 miles on the daylong. I just can't justify $900 as I saw in another post. If I decided to rally 10-12 times a year, yes then

Last edited:
As for the rally 12 years later, the people there were the exact same people that were there 12 years earlier. There were very few younger people and less older people. The overall population was down. Is this common.
People are still buying bmw bikes.........

The motorcycling population has aged considerably through the decades. I don't think anyone really knows how to reverse it. The interest just isn't there for younger folks like it was in the past.

Back