• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'87 K75s - what a machine!

kentuvman

Still can't believe how much satisfaction I get riding my K75s

Just returned from a quick 750 mile r/t to Omaha - such a pleasure to ride & so smooth. Latter part of the trip was through heavy rain - heated grips were an asset & she really handled herself well at higher speeds - what else can I say?

I own airheads but prefer the K for longer runs - she's just so rewarding to ride.

Just returned from a quick 750 mile r/t to Omaha - such a pleasure to ride & so smooth. Latter part of the trip was through heavy rain - heated grips were an asset & she really handled herself well at higher speeds - what else can I say?

I own airheads but prefer the K for longer runs - she's just so rewarding to ride.

I have over 220K on my 1987 K75. Even though my R1150GS has become my primary ride, I still love the K75 most. :dance

I've owned five. Every time I think I own too many bikes and sell one, I miss it. So I buy another.

Can't tell you how many people have asked me if this was the NEW BMW. Not bad for a well ridden 23 year old bike!

Voni
sMiling

'87 K75S - what a machine!

That's exactly what the motoring press said when the S was introduced.

The November '86 Cycle magazine called it "the best-handling BMW by a good margin".

It was also selected as the "Sport Touring bike of the year" for two years running.

Admittedly, that was over 25 years ago, but there are still few bikes today that can rival the smoothness of a K75 and there are few BMWs that are as flickable through the twisties as an S. We won't even go into all the bikes that don't have the Ks features like self canceling turn indicators, EFI, clocks, gear indicators, tool kits and storage, hard lockable saddlebags (with full face helmet storage in the 3rd generation ones), heated grips, available ABS, unbelievable mileage potential (300k+), ease of maintenance, maintenance accessability, etc, etc.

The S fairing strikes a very good compromise between the buffeting, lack of protection, and poor aerodynamics of a naked bike and the hot dead air behind the barndoor of the RT/LT fairings. Cycle said "The S wears the most carefully sculpted fairing ever seen from Germany, a masterpiece of integrated finish and aerodynamic function". The aero fairing is the reason that the S is quicker and faster by many miles per hour than the identical engined and geared C,T, RT, and standard.

Yeah, I kinda like 'em too!

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
I recently bought an '88 K75S because it was the best thing I could find in my budget. I've put a few hundred mies on it, and, not ever having owned a BMW before, have concluded I made a good choice and found a good example at a good price. In July I am hoping to make a 1200 mile loop down into Florida to see a couple of friends.

Lee, I was able to get a System 2 helmet in my 1st generation K bike saddlebags. I never felt the next gen (don't know if I had 2nd or 3rd) had any more room than the first ones.

185,000 miles, with fresh shock and tires it runs better than new. Even after 27 years I can't imagine a more practical, reliable, likable machine.

As you well know, Ken, I love K75s. Old Smokey had 370K miles when it was run over by a minivan, still running strong with the engine, transmission, and final drive never opened up for any repair. This summer I left my R1150 at home and am riding the K75 standard low seat bike. I just prefer the no-drama ride.

Timely thread. I logged on because I was going to post the same thing!

I've been riding my '90 K75S every day for the last few days after a Hall Sensor problem waylaid me for almost a month.

It's been raining like a b@st@rd here all week and it's still been a dream come true. What a great bike.:dance

I am very happy that I did not go through with a plan to sell mine a few years ago and that I can afford to keep more than 1 bike around. Even though the higher horsepower bikes give me thrills, it is nice to just get on the K75s and take a relaxing ride. And I will continue to use it for long distance trips. I expect it will outlive me.

I should know the tank capacity - last gas stop she took 4 gallons @ 145 miles - speedo was acting up & was inop for around 10-15 miles/minutes - seems I can only go 150 between gas stops - its not that I don't want to stop - its that I aim for certain towns that I know & often fall short before the reserve light comes on - short of carrying a gas can which would NOT look good on a K75 (a GS - yes) don't want to push my luck when riding solo & getting stuck.

Removed & cleaned speedo sensor this evening - she should be ok now.

Getting back to the machine - the motor is as reliable as any Toyota I've ever owned - just a lot more cool sounding & feeling. Just saying . . .

I should know the tank capacity - last gas stop she took 4 gallons @ 145 miles - speedo was acting up & was inop for around 10-15 miles/minutes - seems I can only go 150 between gas stops - its not that I don't want to stop - its that I aim for certain towns that I know & often fall short before the reserve light comes on - short of carrying a gas can which would NOT look good on a K75 (a GS - yes) don't want to push my luck when riding solo & getting stuck.

Removed & cleaned speedo sensor this evening - she should be ok now.

Getting back to the machine - the motor is as reliable as any Toyota I've ever owned - just a lot more cool sounding & feeling. Just saying . . .

Usable to fumes should be 5.2 gallons. I adjust (bend) the float arm so the light comes on with one gallon left, taking 4.2 gallons when the light just comes on.

Four gallons @145 miles, that works out to about 36 mpg. You should get much better mileage. I keep reading claims of 42 mpg from other K75 owners. If you believe what BMW claims, You should be getting 56 mpg riding at 60 miles per hour. Any idea why yours is so low?

Four gallons @145 miles, that works out to about 36 mpg. You should get much better mileage. I keep reading claims of 42 mpg from other K75 owners. If you believe what BMW claims, You should be getting 56 mpg riding at 60 miles per hour. Any idea why yours is so low?

Since this is a K75S we are talking about that seems low. Model does make a difference. I ride a standard with the International Shield and stuff generally sticking in the wind in sedveral places including a Pelican case topbox. Voni rides a K75S. I get 42 to 45 mpg. She gets 45 to 50. Riding together.

It depends if you are riding trying to get MILES per gallon or SMILES per gallon!

When you're riding second gear twisties with a lot of topend 3rd and 4th gear sweepers all day and very rarely see below 5 grand then mid 30s sounds about right, but if you are just "traveling" within the speed limits, you should get closer to mid 40s (I've actually done that a couple of times, but prefer not to).

:dance:dance:dance

I believe my mpg is in the 40's - the variables are headwinds & speed - the highway I rode was posted at 70 - I was running @ 75 or so.

I've never managed to get better than 40 mpg - 37 is my average.

I almost exclusively commute with mine though - half city/half highway. On those occasions when I do "tour" i am usually on the throttle through bendy roads.

I like the idea of bending the float arm (although I wish I would thought of that/heard this advice when I was changing my fuel level device last week).

As it stands now the light comes on with only 116 miles on the odo....which is about 8 litres left in my tank. That's enough fuel to last me more than 2 days of commuting.

Anyway - great bikes. I wonder why I ever even think of changing.

Back