• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is This Normal For A C3??

sickticket

I have a new Schuberth C3 and noticed that after a few rides that the sun shade had a haze on the flip shade. It was very evident when riding into the sun. I took some Plexis and it cleaned right up.

About three rides later the haze is back but it seems to be only on the inside. I will clean it today.

Is this normal?

Peter

I have a new Schuberth C3 and noticed that after a few rides that the sun shade had a haze on the flip shade. It was very evident when riding into the sun. I took some Plexis and it cleaned right up.

About three rides later the haze is back but it seems to be only on the inside. I will clean it today.

Is this normal?

Peter

Better read the owners manual on how to clean it.

Hi Peter

My c3 did the same thing. I read somewhere they coat the lens with something during manufacturing. It happened to me several times. I poped it off and washed with a light detergent - dish soap and the issue was solved. IMO a great option on a great helmet.

Ride safe.

My wife's C3 had rested in its storage bag for a couple months, ie she hadn't used it since purchasing it. Tinted visor had same issue, micro fiber cloth and cold water cleaned it right up

I just went through this same issue and initially thought it was my polarized glasses that were the problem. I contacted Schuberth and they assured me it was not the polarized glasses. They also told me to pop the visor off and wash it in tepid water with baby shampoo and rub with my fingers. Rinse it off and pat excess water with a paper towel, then let air dry and then buff lightly with a microfiber cloth.

I did all this and just got back from a ride and it is clear as a bell, even with my polarized glasses. The guy said over time it collects "stuff" from the air and gets cloudy looking.

I wear my C3 for at least 200 miles a week, year round, often in the rain, and all surfaces of the helmet - inside and outside - collect grime and grease from the air and water spray in which we ride. If I go a couple of months without giving my helmet a Plexus bath, I'm revolted by the amount of dirt, grime, and grease that has accumulated on my helmet. This applies to the outside of the helmet and to both sides of the face shield and the sun visor. Fortunately, the visor and the face shield are easy to remove and clean.

I advise against using a paper towel. Paper towels - and Kleenex and toilet paper - can scratch plastic lenses. I only use a microfiber cloth to wipe the Plexus off my sun visor and face shield. In a pinch, I'll use a cotton towel, but I'll never touch my plastic shields and lenses with paper products.

From Schuberth's website:

Q: How do I care for my visor's anti-fog coating?
A: The active anti-fog coating is subject to an aging process which varies in speed depending on the frequency of use, storage and various environmental influences. Visor care also plays a role here. The inside of the visor may only be cleaned with a soft and, if required, slightly moistened microfibre cloth. To protect the anti-fog coating, avoid rubbing it vigorously. In the periods when it is not in use the visor may not be closed fully, otherwise the moisture contained on the inside cannot escape completely and is then absorbed in greater quantities by the anti-fog coating. It is certainly possible that this coating will become less effective, and it can also become detached.
Please never clean the visor in running water and avoid soaking it in water.

Q: How do I care for my Pinlock Visor?
A: Use a soft cloth and mild soapy water to remove dirt from the outer surface of the visor. Use a lint-free cloth to dry the visor.
Please never clean the visor in running water and avoid soaking it in water.
Inside of the visor
The inside of the visor may only be cleaned with a soft and, if required, slightly moistened (recommendation: microfibre cloth). Do not use any cleaning agents. Ensure you avoid rubbing it vigorously.

Q: How do I care for my sun visor?
A: Please clean your sun visor as follows: Take a drop of commonly available washing-up liquid and then hold the sun visor in running water which is no warmer than 20? C FOR AT MOST TWO minutes and clean it carefully with a very soft cloth or your fingertip. To protect your anti-fog coating avoid rubbing it vigorously.
Let the sun visor dry for 48 hours at room temperature. The anti-fog coating needs this time to become active again.
Store the helmet in a dry room ? ideally at room temperature ? with the visor opened in the city position and the sun visor sticking out.

Q: How do I care for the suspension?
A: Depending on the helmet model, you can take out the head and cheek pads to wash them. Make sure you use mild soapy water and that the water temperature does not exceed 30? C. Please only wash the suspension by hand. The parts of the suspension dry at room temperature.
The helmet's suspension consists of wearing parts which are subject to natural wear and tear depending on operational demands, care and storage conditions. The warranty period for the suspensions is 2 years vis-?-vis your dealer.

Q: How long can I use my Schuberth helmet?
A: Depending on operational demands and care you should change your helmet after 5-7 years. The outer shell is basically suitable for a longer service life, but because of signs of material fatigue and wear and tear of other components, the overall effectiveness of the helmet and unknown general conditions while it is used we recommend in the interests of your own safety that you replace your helmet after the above-mentioned period of time.

Finally, here is a VERY HELPFUL video from Schuberth showing how to configure the helmet lining - and clean the air vents - on Schuberth C3 helmets - to achieve maximum airflow/venting (or restrict airflow/venting): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M9OEE7OtIM

I advise against using a paper towel.

I agree with this and should have been more specific in my post. The Schuberth rep response was very clear to only use the paper towel to "blot up" the excess water before air drying, and not to rub or wipe it at all with the paper towel.

Back