• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

greaseninja

Has anyone had any experience with a greaseninja for lubing their chain?
I haven't had a chain drive bike since 1981 and with the F700Gs I now do.
There is so much confusion about lubing the chain: how often, what product, how much to put on. Everyone, including chain manufacturers says something different. What do I believe? I feel a little forsaken by BMW by putting a chain drive on an otherwise wonderful bike.

Mike

I don't know what that is. Modern O-Ring chains don't need a lot of maintenance and they are "sealed". I use Chain Wax brand chain lube every now and then after a ride, when the chain is "warmed up". Some time there is a little bit of build-up on the sides so I put it on the center-stand and smooge (technical term) it off. I'm OK with a chain......chains and belts made it possible for the industrial revolution. OM

I tried it on my wife's honda rebel this weekend and wasn't real impressed. I think it might have hope for my klr. YMMv

I clean and lube my chain a lot. I like the the Grease Ninja.

i-ZKHZ3kp-L.jpg

I'll take a drive shaft over a chain any day...

I find it interesting that they assume I would mask the bike when using spray lube without their device. Not so. If getting a little grease on your rear wheel is a bother to you then just maybe you're riding the wrong kind of bike.

Have not used the Grease Ninja but we have tried the Scott Oiler and one other brand of oiler. Ulimately, they became big pains in the butt. They became clogged, misaligned, over-oiled or unde-oiled. Fixing them on the road was a big mess. This device is cheap enough that it might be worth a try, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Last edited:
update on greaseninja

Well folks, I got a greaseninja. It works as advertised. Gets a good spread of the chain lube on the chain without everything else getting overspray. Still a messy operation though. I still feel betrayed by BMW for not putting a shaft drive on an otherwise exceptional bike.

Well folks, I got a greaseninja. It works as advertised. Gets a good spread of the chain lube on the chain without everything else getting overspray. Still a messy operation though. I still feel betrayed by BMW for not putting a shaft drive on an otherwise exceptional bike.

Go back to the dealer and have them supply the BMW branded Scottoiler.

We have them on an F700GS and an F650GS, works great.

We just returned from a trip to Asheville for the RA rally at Biltmore, almost 3,000Km and no need to do anything other than add oil to the resevoir once..........Rod.

After trying several spray on lubes, I like the Teflon stuff that comes in little plastic bottles. It does not have to drench the whole chain so it becomes a dust/dirt magnet. Cheap, easy to apply and easy to carry in your bags.

On O ring chains they are factory lubed so all you really have to do is keep the O rings them selves healthy...ie clean and lightly lubed. The roller sprocket contact area is really secondary as the roller rolls with the sprocket so as long as the roller spins (O ring again) there is little wear on the sprocket.

I personally thing drip chain oilers are a bad idea on O ring chains as all the excess oil just becomes a dirt magnet. The were a good idea before O rings chain available.

My first chain lasted 30K miles...and evan than only one link was badly worn/ stretched...when the O ring failed. Both sprockets are just fine.

I've spent a good deal of time on the net researching chain maintenance procedures. Very confusing as there are literally hundreds of different opinions and no consensus. Both on methods and products. Someone really in the know (can't tell you who as it could jeopardize his position) advised me to use WD40. Which is what I'm doing. We will see about chain longevity, but for now, I haven't experienced any chain stretch, accumulation of dirt, or dry chain. I'm sticking with that for the time being.

We also rode to Asheville, nowhere near as far as Rod, but 2 up. The F700GS is most impressive. I thought the 2 up might be a bit uncomfortable, coming off a K1100LT, but with the addition of a Russell seat, we found it even more comfortable than the LT. Go figure.

Thanks for all your responses. This forum is fun, informative, and sometimes scary.

Mike

Back