Thread: Pelican Case Question

Hybrid View

Pelican Case Question

I've been looking at Pelican & SKB cases for pannier use. The Caribou web site has complete sets & you can also buy hardware kits to set up your own cases. I lean that way to save money as the cases are commonly discounted in both brands. Has anyone come up with a hardware solution to make the cases removable from the frames w/o buying their kit? Thanks!
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Rally Rat

Quote Originally Posted by timtyler View Post
    Nothing like the "right words" to do a proper search
    FWIW, The ADV vendors layout(circa 2005) from the Caribou Luggage people is even better than their own website in some pictorial ways.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Rally Rat
    I'm using the Touratech mounts to attach Happy Trails panniers to the Hepco-Becker racks on my K75. http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1...ts-one-pannier It took a few hours to carefully measure and drill the holes properly to attach the TT mounts, but I've got to say they are a smart design that's both sturdy and easy to adjust for pannier removal.

Happy Trails makes a mount kit too http://www.happy-trail.com/Happy-Tra...Mount-Kit.aspx

Either is probably a wise expenditure as you could easily re-purpose or resell the mounts in the future.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I've been looking at Pelican & SKB cases for pannier use. The Caribou web site has complete sets & you can also buy hardware kits to set up your own cases. I lean that way to save money as the cases are commonly discounted in both brands. Has anyone come up with a hardware solution to make the cases removable from the frames w/o buying their kit? Thanks!
    Pelican has a good name in the world of photography. Beyond that I'm sorry to say I have nothing to help you with.

When I had Happy Trail cases on a Dakar it appeared you could use their mounts to mount any case to a bike.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    If the Caribou racks are made by Caribou, they're top notch. Unfortunately for me, when they redesigned their case setup for the 2012 Vstrom 650, they used Hepco Becker racks, and they were just crap. I ended up throwing them away and buying a set of Jesse luggage.

The 35/36 litre Pelican 1550 cases are more durable than the SKB cases, but you can get the SKB cases in a 40 litre size. I've used both.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Caribou says they use the Hepco racks , stating that they are much better than the OEM racks & they show a picture comparison of both. There attachment system is centered on the Hepco.

You should call Caribou to see what the have. I have Caribou racks and Pelican bags on my KLR and the system is top notch. The mounts are very strong and fit great.

Pelican bags are the strongest you can get, much stronger than any of the aluminum bags.

CheJay53

Cool Pelican Bag/Caribou Strength

Quote Originally Posted by k12lts View Post
    You should call Caribou to see what the have. I have Caribou racks and Pelican bags on my KLR and the system is top notch. The mounts are very strong and fit great.

Pelican bags are the strongest you can get, much stronger than any of the aluminum bags.
    --> I live in Florida and the summer rains, no garage leave my 2007 Jesse Bags as more of a means to use as an aquarium than to carry my work computer in. I have been looking at the Pelican/Caribou line but my BMW shop says that the plastic snaps off too easily. While I would like to, I don't really go off-road on my 07' GS. Your comment about strength has me curious regarding what you mean or how you have tested them. They may not be the prettiest but Waterproof is what I desire.
    Jay

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Caribou says they use the Hepco racks , stating that they are much better than the OEM racks & they show a picture comparison of both. There attachment system is centered on the Hepco.
    The racks I had on my '07 Vstrom were made by Caribou -- top notch, box-steel struts, and TIG welded. Fantastic system, survived many a tipover with no damage other than scraped paint. Bullet-proof and highly recommended.

The racks I bought from Caribou for my 2012 bike were HB and wobbly as all getout, even with the "special clips" to replace the quick-disconnects. If you wiggled one SKB box, the one on the opposite side of the bike wiggled with it, not just a little, quite a bit. It was a $960 mistake to buy that system. The Jesse boxes and racks I bought to replace the Caribou setup don't budge, as Dog intended.

Maybe the HB racks are good on some bikes, but after my experience with the crapracks they make for the 2012 Vstrom, I definitely urge you to check out another bike, like yours, with racks and bags installed -- before you commit to buying.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)