Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53

Thread: Those damn deer!

  1. #31
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    Have you ever bow hunted???????

    I've shot deer with a bow that literally died standing on their feet after my broadhead passed completely thru their heart and lung.

    Ethical bow hunters would not take a shot they didn't believe would result in a quick and clean kill. And the hundreds of thousands of deer that are harvested by bow hunters annually mean that many less on the road which reduces deer/motorcycle collisions.

    We need more hunters.
    Bud,

    Seriously, people don't have time for it. What we know of hunting is something that occurred after the conservation movement and the great depression. People had the time to hunt (the first week of deer season was a typical vacation period awarded based on seniority in many factories) and the game populations were maintained by the state agencies. Today, paid vacation is a disappearing commodity and the amount is ~10-days per year. In the 70's, the typical employee had 20~25-days of paid vacation after 25-yrs of service.

    So, unless you're really hardcore or can live without an income, hunting is a major consumer of the precious available free time for most employees and, therefore, the number of participants has dwindled. Of course, then there is the land use issues and access and lease fees.....that some hunters advocate to maintain their hunting territory. Just try being a land owner near a group of avid hunters........everything is fine as long as you only let them hunt on your property. Let anyone hunt on your property and you'll have all sorts of fun come hunting season. I've never had an angry phone call from a Bambi lover, but I can count on at least 5 per deer season from angry hunters complaining about other hunters or making silly propositions ranging from asking to plant deer feed on my property (i.e., bait) to offering illegal drugs as lease payment.

    Have a good one.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  2. #32
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    6,496
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Bud,

    Seriously, people don't have time for it. What we know of hunting is something that occurred after the conservation movement and the great depression. People had the time to hunt (the first week of deer season was a typical vacation period awarded based on seniority in many factories) and the game populations were maintained by the state agencies. Today, paid vacation is a disappearing commodity and the amount is ~10-days per year. In the 70's, the typical employee had 20~25-days of paid vacation after 25-yrs of service.

    So, unless you're really hardcore or can live without an income, hunting is a major consumer of the precious available free time for most employees and, therefore, the number of participants has dwindled. Of course, then there is the land use issues and access and lease fees.....that some hunters advocate to maintain their hunting territory. Just try being a land owner near a group of avid hunters........everything is fine as long as you only let them hunt on your property. Let anyone hunt on your property and you'll have all sorts of fun come hunting season. I've never had an angry phone call from a Bambi lover, but I can count on at least 5 per deer season from angry hunters complaining about other hunters or making silly propositions ranging from asking to plant deer feed on my property (i.e., bait) to offering illegal drugs as lease payment.

    Have a good one.
    All valid points. The number of hunters is decreasing as our society changes and there are competing interests for limited time. However, there are over 100,000 deer taken annually in Illinois alone. But if you dad doesn't take you hunting, you most likely won't be a hunter.

    Also, with the large number of boomer retirees on the horizon, the number of people who would have time to hunt will increase greatly over the next 10 to 15 years.

    My question about if the poster had ever hunted was in response to this assertion:

    Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    "...far better to kill them with a gun or bow and arrow, cleanly, fast, ..."

    No, not really. There is nothing clean or fast about killing a deer with a bow and arrow. Deer can live in extreme pain for hours or days. It is quiet which, I believe, is why several communities around here (Eastern MA) allow bow and arrow "harvesting" but no guns. Like, it's OK to kill them but I don't want to hear it.

    ..................................................

    pete
    It was obvious that he had not bow hunted as he would have known the killing deer with a bow and arrow can, and should, be clean and fast.

    His suggestion that why bow hunting was allowed, and not guns, is uninformed. The communities allow bow hunting because bullets travel long distances whereas arrows have a very limited range and therefor reduce the risk to other people and property. The upper class suburbs west of St. Louis have recently decided that bow hunting was an acceptable solution to the deer eating their expensive landscape plants year after year.

    Illinois allows unlimited bow permits and donation venison to food banks.



    W/O natural predators, we are the only viable control.


    So far, the only time I've been involved in a collision with a deer was in Canada last summer when a deer ran straight into the side of our sailboat while towing it. Seemed to be intent on suicide.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

  3. #33
    Registered User David13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lomita, California
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    Have you ever bow hunted???????

    I've shot deer with a bow that literally died standing on their feet after my broadhead passed completely thru their heart and lung.

    Ethical bow hunters would not take a shot they didn't believe would result in a quick and clean kill. And the hundreds of thousands of deer that are harvested by bow hunters annually mean that many less on the road which reduces deer/motorcycle collisions.

    We need more hunters.
    We do need more hunters.
    And I think a lot of people don't know what broadheads are. I do, and that's why I posted what I posted.
    There are a number of places that are allowing hunting in the suburbs, as the deer are running rampant in some of those areas. They feel totally safe there and they do like to eat the nice expensive landscaping.
    And I can't imagine that it's any more fun to run into a deer when you are driving the kids to soccer practice as opposed to me on my motorcycle on a nice trip to Utah, Colorado, etc.
    dc

  4. #34
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    However, there are over 100,000 deer taken annually in Illinois alone. But if you dad doesn't take you hunting, you most likely won't be a hunter.
    The annual harvest in PA is about 340,000 and you can always finds articles from various sportsman's groups like the following;

    http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=4416

    It seems that no one is happy.................
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  5. #35
    Registered User PeoriaMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Washington, Illinois
    Posts
    780
    Quote Originally Posted by timtyler View Post
    I find it hard to understand how things could be three times worse in Iowa than across the border in Illinois.
    Illinoisians more likely to not report deer strikes...just take home the carcass for jerky. Consider deer a side benefit of the Interstate system. We allow deer hunting on our property, and there's at least six of them residing here. If I could trap them, I would.
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

  6. #36
    Registered User PeoriaMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Washington, Illinois
    Posts
    780
    More seriously, Illinois DNR says hunters took 181,451 deer in 107 hunting days in Illinois in the 2011-12 season. Perhaps Iowa has an shorter season or allows a smaller count, leaving more deer to roam. It's a good question... Presunable State Farm is getting their numbers from
    Police reports...
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

  7. #37
    Registered User David13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lomita, California
    Posts
    794
    I suspect that State Farm is getting their numbers from a long ago established insurance industry data base.
    Long ago it was said that they know more about you than you do.
    They use many different sources, but believe me, they have good information. Mostly, primarily, it will be based on ... insurance claims.
    dc

  8. #38
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    6,496
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaMac View Post
    Illinoisians more likely to not report deer strikes...just take home the carcass for jerky. Consider deer a side benefit of the Interstate system. We allow deer hunting on our property, and there's at least six of them residing here. If I could trap them, I would.
    Unless one drives a junker, they would want insurance coverage and so they would report hitting a deer.

    Now about those 6 deer on your property, are any of them wall hangers???
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

  9. #39
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    Unless one drives a junker, they would want insurance coverage and so they would report hitting a deer.

    Now about those 6 deer on your property, are any of them wall hangers???
    Bud,

    You can't eat those horns.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  10. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    Unless one drives a junker, they would want insurance coverage and so they would report hitting a deer.

    Now about those 6 deer on your property, are any of them wall hangers???
    Some of "ours" are hangers-one big feller in particular.Neighbor has a feed/cam that has his pic. I love my electric fences around house & gardens & don't like the meat at all, so they think their in LaLa Land here nn our place-which is "their place".
    As to IF anyone hunts around my area, thats not a serious discussion as for many it is a serious activity & permeates their minds ALL YEAR LONG! The land of Daniel Boone is alive & well when it comes to hunting.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  11. #41
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    6,496
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    bud,

    you can't eat those horns.
    :d
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

  12. #42
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    6,496
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Bud,

    You can't eat those horns.
    You are right about that.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

  13. #43
    Registered User PeoriaMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Washington, Illinois
    Posts
    780
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    Unless one drives a junker, they would want insurance coverage and so they would report hitting a deer.

    Now about those 6 deer on your property, are any of them wall hangers???
    About the first comment, my brother's car is named "Deerslayer". Enough said. There's one big buck my hunter has been after for years. Elusive SOB though...
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

  14. #44
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    6,496
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaMac View Post
    About the first comment, my brother's car is named "Deerslayer". Enough said. There's one big buck my hunter has been after for years. Elusive SOB though...
    Mac,

    By the time a whitetail buck gets to be 3 years old, he has had quite an education by hunters. The odds of him dying of old age increase with every year. During the fall they become nocturnal as they road a wide area looking for does that will stand.

    Catching him sneaking into his bedding area early in the morning is most likely your best chance to see him.

    I had been in a tree stand for over 2 hours once before I saw the tips of antlers sticking up above brown brush. When he finally stood up and walked away I couldn't stop shaking. Classic buck fever. Biggest whitetail deer I've ever seen.

    That's why it is called "hunting".
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

  15. #45
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    Mac,

    By the time a whitetail buck gets to be 3 years old, he has had quite an education by hunters. The odds of him dying of old age increase with every year. During the fall they become nocturnal as they road a wide area looking for does that will stand.

    Catching him sneaking into his bedding area early in the morning is most likely your best chance to see him.

    I had been in a tree stand for over 2 hours once before I saw the tips of antlers sticking up above brown brush. When he finally stood up and walked away I couldn't stop shaking. Classic buck fever. Biggest whitetail deer I've ever seen.

    That's why it is called "hunting".
    Back in the day of the large camp rosters, you had the advantage of the neighboring camps / crews moving the deer daily during hunting season. The idea of finding 20~25 guys to do a single day of coordinated chases (or anything) just boggles the mind in today's world. Perhaps we have forgotten something.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •