• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The Dragon...

KBasa said:
You ought to come out here some time, man.

814945-L-2.jpg

Dave -- got any pics of Sir Francis Drake "Blvd." ???

One of my faves!

Ian

SCQTT said:
There are lots of locals on the Dragon that know every nuance. They go very fast on a surprisingly diverse mixture of bikes. Do not get sucked in and try to hang with the locals, it will kill you. You must ride at your own pace and skill level.
I resemble that remark...

And if you really want to be freaked out, go watch the guys who ride it at night. It is way dark up on the mtn.

Koop

Attachments

• small tight shot coop & Koop.jpg
    small tight shot coop & Koop.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
CA Roads

Ortega Highway, San Juan Capistrano to Elsinore. Hooyah. :thumb

SCQTT said:
Koop your left toes look a little warm

Nice photo
It was getting there...

Curse those size 13 feet. That is my brother in front of me and when he and I get together it can be a testosterone fest.

Also, that picture is somewhat deceptive. We were looking for a shot with both of us in the frame. I (we) dont normally ride that close together. I can assure you however that was a spirited pace ride that day.

Back on topic however. Deals gap, is a very fun place to ride. Do not ride over your head, dont get sucked in trying to pace someone you meet there, and wear the gear.

If anyone comes down to my neck of the woods, ping me and I will see if I can meet or at the very least give you the heads up on some other good roads in this area.

Koop

Koop I've got 13s too

New Sidi toe sliders every other time I take the KTM Supermoto out.

Not even close to the ground on the 1100S BCR

Plan on bringing them both to the Dragon for a late fall ride.

SCQTT said:
Koop I've got 13s too

New Sidi toe sliders every other time I take the KTM Supermoto out.

Not even close to the ground on the 1100S BCR

Plan on bringing them both to the Dragon for a late fall ride.
I am the king of shoe goo. Ping me when you get down and maybe we can link up

koop

I ended up riding the Dragon back at night after my buddy took out the oil cooler line on his K1200RS going over a curb at Fontana Dam (pix attached). No cell phone service and a good ride to find a signal to call for assistance. Left the dam about midnight !!!

WAAAAY scary ... with that many turns the next curve is usually out of the light pattern as the bike lays over for the current turn !!!

Attachments

• a-Dam Oil.JPG
    a-Dam Oil.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 74
A more friendly view of the scenery ... beautiful unless you're waiting for a tow truck at about midnight !!!

I just noticed you are from Alcoa ... that's where my buddy lives and he also has a checkerboard K1200RS (the '99 model ... mine's the original '98)

Attachments

• a-Fontana Lake 2.JPG
    a-Fontana Lake 2.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 72
StevieWonder said:
A more friendly view of the scenery ... beautiful unless you're waiting for a tow truck at about midnight !!!

I just noticed you are from Alcoa ... that's where my buddy lives and he also has a checkerboard K1200RS (the '99 model ... mine's the original '98)

I have not seen another Taxi in town but I will look for him. Is he a kind of big guy and bought that bike used from the Kaw dealer in Alcoa. If so I think I met him once. He was on the fence about buying one and I told him he would never regret it...

Koop

Yep ... Mike Akard

BIG man ... 350+ lbs and about 6'6"

Here's a picture of him on Fontana dam ... early on in our LONG and eventually dark wait for assistance

Attachments

• a - bump.JPG
    a - bump.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 64
StevieWonder said:
Yep ... Mike Akard

BIG man ... 350+ lbs and about 6'6"

Here's a picture of him on Fontana dam ... early on in our LONG and eventually dark wait for assistance
I called him, it is the same guy that I spoke to at the Kawasaki shop. It also turns out that I almost bought his house last year as well.

Small world

Wow ... small world.

BTW, it ain't Texas but it shore is purty up in them there hills 'n all. ;)

BTW, that night ride on the Dragon puckered my tail up so tight we had to pry the saddle off. Can't remember the exact time my heart pounded that much but I think there were two blondes from West Texas involved ...

:dance :twirl

Back