Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: BMW Concept Ninety

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    they have to offer a bike in the 9-12K range that...........
    ....... has a shaft, if they want my money.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

3 Red Bricks
    Can I win one in July with my Superstakes ticket???

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Is there any reason that BMW can't produce produce an entry level boxer in the 9-12K range?
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by argent brick View Post
    Is there any reason that BMW can't produce produce an entry level boxer in the 9-12K range?
    Apparently, it's only viable if some guy with more money than brains wants to do burn-outs with it..............

We are well past the point of logic and in desperate search of the folks with excess cash. Times like these call for the intellect and skills of the great P.T. Barnum
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Nickname: Droid
    I like it, a lot, for the modern interpretation of a classic. Not some useless metal artsy piece of butt-jewelry spewed on us by every chopper builder for the past ten years.

But,....my life in the past, seems to seek something more like a classic 76 R90S, with a R1200 engine stuffed into it. Something along the lines of the guy that put a R1100 engine into a Slash-2 chassis. Modern forks, brakes, single sided swingarm, but blended into the classic chassis layout from the 70's. Leave the 76 fuel tank shape exactly as it was, a pure slim classic form, simple and beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    I like it, a lot, for the modern interpretation of a classic. Not some useless metal artsy piece of butt-jewelry spewed on us by every chopper builder for the past ten years.

But,....my life in the past, seems to seek something more like a classic 76 R90S, with a R1200 engine stuffed into it. Something along the lines of the guy that put a R1100 engine into a Slash-2 chassis. Modern forks, brakes, single sided swingarm, but blended into the classic chassis layout from the 70's. Leave the 76 fuel tank shape exactly as it was, a pure slim classic form, simple and beautiful.
    Why do you need the additional 50-hp of the R1200? An R90s produced about 60-hp. If you want classic lines and weight of the vintage bike, why do you insist on stuffing a massive engine it? We seem to be building Hummers to ride on the interstate? If BMW configured the 800cc twin engine in a shaft drive with a retro "s" fairing, I would look at it.

Guess BMW never hear of the term "user focus group".
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    Guess BMW never hear of the term "user focus group".
    I don't think BMW is having any trouble selling bikes

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    I don't think BMW is having any trouble selling bikes
    Yes, but neither is Ducati. I think BMW is after Panigale S sales with the HP4, Monster sales with the Concept 90, and Multistrada sales with the GSW. If they surprise us with a muscle cruiser like the Diavel, my thesis will be confirmed.
    2014 R1200GS
    Ex-2007 R1200R
    Ex-1988 K75S
    Ex-1980 R100S, 70's UJMs, 2010 Ducati M1100

In the end this is a Parts-Bin bike.

With the Ninety Sands and BMW took parts already in the bin, mixed them with a some new body parts and made a special. What ever the new production bike is called, like the original R90S, it will be a Parts-Bin bike with some new bodywork. Factories make money by maximizing the use of the parts they have in their bins by building bikes that make us want to ride. This one makes me want to ride.

I don't need a R 1XX0 S RR or whatever. I can get buy with my neighbors Ruckas. I want a R 1XX0 S RR.

The DucAudi observations are interesting but seem a bit US centric. The US is DucAudi's largest market. The US an important market to BMW but a very distant second to the EU. Both are working hard to beat Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki; the damage they do to each other's market share in the process is collateral damage to that process.

I still can't decide if I need to expand my parts-bins or wallet as a result of the Ninety.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Since I've never owned an R90S, I'm not about to start splitting hairs about the differences between the old and the new concept 90, because that's a conversation that could go on forever.

Here are the things I did note, however:

- 2 pipes on one side on boxer? No, doesn't work for me.

- Solo seat is OK.

- Modern bars and design are OK, although it almost looks a little too "fabricated" for my taste. But I guess that's because it is just a concept bike at this point.

Anyone notice that this thing is probably 3/4 the size of an original R90S? It looks small when shown with the 2 gentleman. The riding picture shows the rider's legs all bent up and sticking out, kind of like he was riding a Honda monkey bike or something. That's because it's small. No good for me. I'm a big German guy who likes big German motorcycles. I'm older now, and due to what I've done to my body over the years coupled with genetics, my knees don't like to bend very far for very long.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia