• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Concept Ninety

Shades of a Ducati Paul Smart replica. I like it but I'll take one with a pipe on both sides, please.

I like it but I'll take one with a pipe on both sides, please.

The parallel "lines" on the valve covers are tryin' awful hard to be an airhead. In automotive design circles it's called a styling "cue". At this point it doesn't have a cue; needs more "S"- ness If they were really interesting some "retro image" they would have used something close to the original paint scheme on top of the new plastic.

"The BMW R 90 S goes back to a time when motorcyclists were regarded as social outlaws. There was something rebellious about them - they were fast, noisy and wild. It was all about pure emotion. And it remains fascinating to this day."

Wha.. ? Are we talking about this planet Earth? The American Honda Motor Company was established in 1959, and in 1963 started daring us to "meet the nicest people on a Honda". Americans had six years to "re-befriend" the motorcycle and when the CB750 was successfully introduced to the States in 1969, they sold as many as they could build. The R90S was still almost five years away from hitting the street.

I don't mind a little spin, but com'on.. . .

You_meet_the_nicest_people_on_a_Honda.jpg

I would buy this modern version of a true classic. Lets see if they put the wethead motor in this dream machine.

RIDE SAFE

Love the top 1/2, the bottom 1/2.....not so much.

Wheels are so so, cans are kinda ugly and the valve covers......:sick

BMW AG, what are you waiting for? There are many that believe the R90S is one of the best looking bikes of all time. We love the R90S. We want a R90S. Build us a retro looking boxer painted Daytona Orange with silver and red trim.

The Britts seem to be doing well with retro looking bikes. Why not BMW?

I LIKE IT! It makes me want to ride.

I like many of Roland Sands designs. There is much to like about this.

I am curious about how they handled the airbox. I like the look of it. What has me curious is the impact on hp. In the days of the R90S we would uncork performance by doing away with the factory airbox air cleaner systems and use individual K&N or something like that. At one point airbox designs became pressurized contraptions and removing them actually damage performance.

I am just a bit iffy about the pipes. They are a bit too much Street Tracker but not bad. I might prefer a 2 into 1 with a single can like theres. I want the rear wheel opened up a bit more both visually and for practical reasons.

I find myself trying to figure a way to put R90S bars on the thing without wrecking the cockpit so that I could enjoy the full tank of gas without stopping. I am able to do clip on bars but not for a full tank. This is a bike I don?t think I would want to get off from until I had to fuel it. Even then you might try to fuel it from the saddle because you wouldn?t want to give it up to another rider.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dhlp14l9SLg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BMW Concept Ninety.
90 years of BMW Motorrad, 90 years of two-wheeled history ? hardly another motorcycle manufacturer can boast such a longstanding and successful heritage as BMW. The BMW R 90 S likewise has cause to celebrate: the BMW Motorrad design icon turns 40 this year. As a tribute to both these anniversaries, the BMW Group is presenting a very special model at the Concorso d?Eleganza Villa d?Este 2013: the BMW Concept Ninety. In partnership with the custom bike company Roland Sands Design, the BMW Motorrad design team has come up with an exclusive homage to the BMW R 90 S. Former motorcycle racer Roland Sands and his team are among the most in-demand partners in the custom bike scene. Their design standards and the technical finesse with which they implement their high-class custom and performance parts endow the BMW Concept Ninety with an exclusive and self-assured presence. This cooperative venture elevates both Roland Sands Design and BMW Motorrad Design to a new level.

i-86dcqXF-L.jpg

i-48hdJ5q-L.jpg

i-WddBvj6-L.jpg

i-XsbSzLp-L.jpg

i-Pp5RxqT-L.jpg

i-bNMDtZd-L.jpg

i-83ndgf5-L.jpg

i-6fggh4z-L.jpg

i-88JTHH8-L.jpg

i-ZRvw7bN-L.jpg

i-tnmM4vq-L.jpg

i-Qfs7VgS-L.jpg

i-nVt8fnv-L.jpg

i-2zsgSht-L.jpg

i-DM4jpw6-L.jpg

i-zrnqJMh-L.jpg

i-3HkzCvZ-L.jpg

I LIKE IT. It makes me want to ride! It's raining and I don't care. I LIKE IT and I'm going riding! :wave

I realize it's a concept, but can they or do they really want to call this an R90S? From my standpoint, the name R90S is already taken! :rocker

Like it! I agree they shouldn't use the same name, but they do own the rights... How many different Hondas were named the Hawk...? And Harley just swaps the verbiage around according to the chrome & paint options.

BMW's been pretty good about not mixing names. Go to the parts counter in the future ask for a part for your R90S! :doh

Homage bike concept name.

As I was riding I kept thinking about a line Eric Heinrich gives after the Sands introduction. Something along the lines...

I thought about giving him sketches then decided to bring a prototype instead. He rode it and after some burn outs came in smiling.

Then I thought about the blue and white bike in the foreground of the early shots. I like it too from what I can see.

LUCY. it's gona get spensive around here.:brad

I thought about giving him sketches then decided to bring a prototype instead. He rode it and after some burn outs came in smiling.

My interest went to zero at the mention of burn outs. What does that have to do with a R90s or motorcycling?

My interest went to zero at the mention of burn outs. What does that have to do with a R90s or motorcycling?
From what I have seen, a younger crowd having a different kind of fun. If they can buy it, burn the tire off it and fix it themselves :thumb

:rofl

In this case burnouts have to do with the Cali motorcycle designer mystic. Over the last decade Sands and company have produced a variety of very interesting concepts in all genres of MCs. Burnouts may be all about all show and no go but even you have to admit Sands' homage design is about show and go. I like it.

If they can buy it, burn the tire off it and fix it themselves :thumb

I don't care who fixes it.....the burn-out thing is just folks with either too much money or too few brains doing something pointless with a machine. It doesn't show diddly relative to the quality (design or build) of the machine.

Back