• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 R 1200 GS/ brake light stuck on

chasmrider

not lost til out of gas
morning all, my brake light is stuck on, I guess that means one of the switches is defective, I can see the switch on the back, not sure how it works up front. I am going to look at my book and see if it tells me anything. any suggestions? thanks in advance

I had the exact same issue on my '05 GS a couple years back. Big problem was, because the switch was stuck the ABS would not cycle. That was a big pain. In my case it was the front brake micro switch. After I replaced it I realized that the switch is adjustable so some extent so I might have been able to just readjust it. It's very small, so hard to work on for old farts like me. Hope you have some small screw drivers.
But the micro switches, front brake and foot, would be my first choice for culprit.

thanks Paul, I went out this morning, first I disconnected the front brake switch, tail, and brake light both lit. then I disconnected the rear, same thing. now I have both front and rear disconnected, and both lights are lit. so somehow the tail light is also powering the brake light, I think. not really sure where to go from here. I will call the dealer when they open.

I guess I should have said I have a non-ABS model. I called the dealer and told them whats up, they didn't give me any suggestions, but they did squeak me an appointment next week. ( my local dealer has a great service dept ) I would like to fix it myself but I am not sure how to proceed.

thanks Paul, I went out this morning, first I disconnected the front brake switch, tail, and brake light both lit. then I disconnected the rear, same thing. now I have both front and rear disconnected, and both lights are lit. so somehow the tail light is also powering the brake light, I think. not really sure where to go from here. I will call the dealer when they open.

Disconnecting may not do what you want. I believe the switch on the handlebars is normally closed (NC switch). Not sure about the foot switch. If either of them are NC disconnecting the switch is the same as depressing the brake lever.

Remove switch. Put ohmmeter on switch leads. Depress switch. Does the value change? If not the switch is bad.

thanks, half the battle is finding information, however that doesn't help me yet. here is my problem, I can't get my test leads to the terminals. here are some pics, on the back when you step on the brake a bent piece of metal opens the switch, not sure what to test there, at the other end the connector is too small for my test leads. I thought about putting a paper clip or something in there, but I am not sure if that is a good idea. on the front brake I can see the pins but the space is too small to get the leads in.

Attachments

• DSC00276.JPG
    DSC00276.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00277.JPG
    DSC00277.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00279.JPG
    DSC00279.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 64
Stick some thin wire -- sometimes a bent paperclip will work -- into the connector and then put your probes on the wire. Be sure you are not touching both probes with bare skin or you may be measuring YOUR resistance.

I had the exact problem on my 2005 gs, here's what to do

The mechanic at the dealer in Nashville bent a paper clip and inserted each end into the micro switch wiring connector from the front brake microswitch. So disconnect the front brake micro switch wiring harness and insert the bent paper clip in to both sides of the connector. Use a piece of tape to hold the paperclip inside the wiring connector. Your brake light should not be on now. To test press the foot brake and the brake light will come on. If this is all true then your front micro switch is bad. Someone told me to spray some electrical cleaner into the micro switch and it might start working again.

Does your ABS and servo work?

you guys are awesome! exactly that, bad front micro switch. I took a piece of cat 5 cable stripped both ends and stuck it in. the test worked just like you said. so its off to get a new switch. btw non-ABS model. can you tell me where I can get info about my bike? like the front switch is normally closed, little things that are important. anyway thanks again, see you down the road

still waiting for the dealer to open here is a pic of my jumper

Attachments

• DSC00280.JPG
    DSC00280.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 52
can you tell me where I can get info about my bike? like the front switch is normally closed, little things that are important. anyway thanks again, see you down the road

Some info is here: http://www.r1200gs.info/ but be warned.... the original owner of the site sold it several years back and the new owners were apparently only interested in the forum... the non forum pages have not been updated since the change in ownership. Still, the old pages might help you with your old bike. :dunno

thanks, now all I have to do is change my final drive oil, and I will be ready to travel. I hope to go to Death valley in early June, thanks again for everyones help

Back