• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New member in Danbury, CT

mikegregory2112

Hello all,
New rider here with lots to learn.
Just picked up a 2004 R 1150 RT.
I'd appreciate any and all suggestions and info you can pass along.
Hoping to be fully licensed by the middle of June,(CT mandates a rider course that has got a least a months backlog),
then it's lots of great trips through NH, VT & NYS this summer.

Cheers,
Mike

Welcome to the Forum Mike!

Sounds like a nice bike and good plans for future rides. Coming from CT, if you get by Max's up in Fairfield, and might be interested in meeting some other local riders, pick up one of our Westchester Beemers Motorcycle Club Fliers.

Have fun with the new bike!

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum! I live in CT (for another week) and rode an 04 R1150RT for a number of years. Great bike! I'm moving west and have another '04 RT waiting for me when I get out there. Enjoy and if you ever have questions about your bike, I would be happy to try to answer them.

Hi Mike.

Welcome to the forum. Looking back through my riding career to the time when I was first licensed to ride on the street I can tell you there are many memories to be made with the great times and adventure that lie ahead. You will find that riding offers a freedom that is second to no other.

Post some pics of the bike when you get a chance.

Take it slow, ride safe and have a great time.

Aloha.

Scot

Welcome Mike.

The best bit of advice I can give you is this: Around 6 months of riding is the most dangerous time for you. You have just enough experience to think you are riding well.

Have fun and post a pic of your bike.:bikes

Good advice

Welcome Mike.

The best bit of advice I can give you is this: Around 6 months of riding is the most dangerous time for you. You have just enough experience to think you are riding well.

Have fun and post a pic of your bike.:bikes

Thanks for this bit of advice, I've been riding for three months and can definitely see this being an issue. Forewarned is forearmed.

Welcome Mike, I too ride a 2004 RT. Sweet ride. Try checking out the Local clubs in each of the New England / New York states. Most put on rallies during the summer. Best way to meet up with other BMW riders. :thumb

Hello all,
New rider here with lots to learn.
Just picked up a 2004 R 1150 RT.
I'd appreciate any and all suggestions and info you can pass along.
Hoping to be fully licensed by the middle of June,(CT mandates a rider course that has got a least a months backlog),
then it's lots of great trips through NH, VT & NYS this summer.

Cheers,
Mike

Excellent motorcycle!! You don't mention miles or service history. If appropriate get a 12k service for a baseline and ride away. Despite year of the bike I consider it to be one of the best bikes out there and you should anticipate many happy motoring miles. As per a previous post you will have the opportunity to learn many riding habits primarily in the first 12 to 24 months of riding. Learn well, be observant and enjoy!!

Back