• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW jacket zippers

GILLY

What, me worry?
Was getting the first service done today on the C650GT and was looking at some of the Motorrad jackets. Tried one on that was on a bargain rack. Noticed the zipper pull is on the left?? Looked over a few that werent' on the bargain rack and they too were on the left. Seems backwards to me. I know for some off reason, ladies buttons are opposite to a mens, not sure if the same is true for a womens
jacket, but at any rate I checked and the jackets I were looking at were mens.

Don't know for sure, but think this may be a "European thing." There are "opposite side" zippers on all three layers of my Rev-It Sand jacket too. The good news is that you will get used to them pretty quickly. Do check out a couple of BMW zipper threads before you spring for a new jacket.

Was getting the first service done today on the C650GT and was looking at some of the Motorrad jackets. Tried one on that was on a bargain rack. Noticed the zipper pull is on the left?? Looked over a few that werent' on the bargain rack and they too were on the left. Seems backwards to me. I know for some off reason, ladies buttons are opposite to a mens, not sure if the same is true for a womens
jacket, but at any rate I checked and the jackets I were looking at were mens.

Zippers in Europe are on the left. easy to get used to.
regards

I don't think the zippers have anything to do with where they're produced. I have a lot of jackets and coats from all over the world. I think it's more designer preference than geographic or gender based.

Jason

I vote for the "European thing". In the US most women's stuff has the left-handed zipper, too.

"Easy to get used to." ? Yeah, but it's frustrating for a while, especially if all your other gear is right-handed. But if you can't work a left-handed two-way zipper in less than 20 seconds, you should take the car. :p

pete
Pie fixes everything.

Zippers

Not to mention, BMW has the smallest zippers I've seen. On my Darien, I just grab the big zipper and zip right up but on my BMW, gotta search for it, then fiddle with that left sided thing.

I have BMW pants and jackets. All have the zippers placed in the normal, North American way. Some of the liners are fussy though, and come apart unless I am scrupulous about the initial placement.

Zip dee do dah

I just had my savannah jacket main zipper replaced with larger YKK (Size 5), also had the velcro upgraded everywhere. Thanks to Narains Outdoors in Berkeley, CA.

I think I can get another 10 years out of her now!

BMW Zipper Problem . . . . .

I have a set of Streetguard 3 gear. After the Bloomburg Rally I went North and found a problem with my jacket zipper. I went to a repair place in Auburn, NY and thought I could have a new zipper sewn in to replace the original. I was told the zipper from BMW was "welded" in so they could not help. Luckily the problem was almost to the top so they put a stopper where the problem had been.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
:thumb

Last edited:
Back