Thread: telelever A-Arm play

Hybrid View

telelever A-Arm play

Hi group, I have a 1996 R1100rt with 102,000 km. Runs and handles great.
    Yesterday while I was poking around the telelever arm greasing the front lower shock connection, I noticed that I had a little side to side play at the A- arm where it connects to the engine. (Approx. 1 mm) The front ball bearing is solid, I replaced it last year.
    I don't feel anything negative on the road as related to noise or handling, going straight or in corners or over bumps but I suspect that there should not be any play in the system.
    My local dealer has the parts but can't do the work for a month or so. my questions; is any play acceptable? does the arm have to be removed to remove the bearings? do the new bearings have to be pressed in?
    Thank you
    Louie..._/)....

Nickname: Droid
    When you say "side to side" do you mean you can move the the arm perpendicular to the bike 1mm? Or do you mean you get motion at the arm pivots in a twisting displacement?

My 94RS has more than twice the miles as your RT, yet I have no motion at the arm. I did replace the upper and lower ball joints at about 125,000 miles.

Yes, in a twisting motion. If you place your fingers between the motor and the A arm and move the front wheel side to side, you feel a little movement at the connection between the arm and the motor. I think it might be the bearings wearing.
    There is no play at the ball joint.
    Louie..._/)....

Nickname: Droid
    Play in a twisting motion should be non-existant, none. Because play at the pivots is amplified by more displacement at the lower ball jont and front axle. Here is the page from the factory manual for the 1100:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you, That's what I thought as well. I will remove it and change the bearings. Hopefully it comes out easily once the fairing is removed.
    Good chance to clean it all up under there and synch the TBs. Funny how it still feels solid as a rock...
    Louie..._/)....

Hi,
    I did many repairs on R1100RT since I bought it last year. A-Arm bearings change out included. Please refer to link below
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/budgetbeemerriders/

Eric.