• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

1978 R100/7 best tires?

What size where those front tires? I doubt a 90/90 tire will rub the brace on a /7 (the OPs bike). But going to a 100/90 (not really recommended) might. The larger tire doesn't really help things...it actually may hurt handling due to the poor geometry and creating more turn-in force.

Now the /6 is definitely a different story...different brace at some point.

Right....the 90/90 is what the owner had to install to get the clearance needed. I use the 100/90 on my /5's. The horse shoe brace doesn't get anywhere near the tire sidewall on the /5's. For several years there, the inch size tires were going the way of the dinosaurs. They seem to be more readily available now than 8 or 10 years ago.

Michelin Tires fro my R100/7

I found the Michelins in the factory original inch sizes at BikeBandit.com where they are slightly less expensive as that mentioned above, and they advertise free shipping on any order over $100. I had purchased tires from them for another item (my trailer) and they were perfect to deal with. Prompt shipping, curteous, and price was better than I could find anywhere else.

Avon Road Riders on my /6

In the correct inch size no clearance problems in the front. Coming up on 10k miles w/out a problem except they slip on wet manhole covers. I've heard good things about the Michelin Pilot Active, but that they are a bear to mount. I removed the old Metzlers and put the Avons on myself without too much of a problem and only longer tire irons, dish soap and a sunny day.

If someone reports good luck mounting the Michelins at home, I may try them next.

Michelin mounting at home

I helped my son install a pair of them on his K bike.

Took the best of 6 hours and 3-4 hands - and that is with "rim protectors" and some good tire irons!

He didn't want to use any "soap" or anything else because later he was going to use the ceramic beads for balancing.

Back