• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

73 R 75/5 Center Stand Tang

kjmcd13

The tang on my centerstand broke off. Any creative solutions to this dilemma besides welding it back on?

Last edited:
The tang on my centerstand broke off. Any creative solutions to this dilemma besides welding it back on?

Apart from removing the stand and welding it, I have used a stainless steel ribbon type hose clamp holding a piece of a cut up inner tube. If you position the clamp at the lowest point on the arc of the stand when it is in the "up" position with the screw head facing outboard, and, let a small length of the ribbon protrude, you will be able to put the toe of your boot on the assembled attachment and deploy the stand. The rubber part is to prevent the clamp from rotating around the bent tube stock of the stand itself. If properly installed it will be just forward of the point where the stand meets the ground when you kick it down from "up-at rest" position.

All /5, /6, and /7 centerstand tangs have been broken off at some point because folks think in error it's supposed to be stepped on when putting the bike on its centerstand.

Its ONLY purpose is to help lower the centerstand to the ground ... then you step on the left centerstand foot to help raise the bike.

All /5, /6, and /7 centerstand tangs have been broken off at some point because folks think in error it's supposed to be stepped on when putting the bike on its centerstand.

Well, that's certainly how I broke mine off ... shortly after buying the bike in 1974. :banghead

I've used the tip of my boot to pull it down ever since.. . ..

What's the big deal? Go by any welding shop for a nothing repair. They always have a piece of strap or small round as scrap. Put a very slight bend in it like the original, wire brush or hand grind the center stand paint off, have the tech spot weld it in place where the old one was, check it out that it clears the muffler, WELD IT. When you get home shoot a bit of Rustoleum gloss or satin and you are in business..........10 minute job and slip the tech a $20 to make him happy.........God bless........Dennis

I have taken an old type mirror clamp from a British bike and clamped it onto the stand. Then I used a long bolt with similar diameter as the mirror stem was and tightened it into the clamp.

Back