• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Water Water

bobr9

Looking for suggestions on what people use to carry water, including how much, for extended summer travel. I am not interested in camelback type solutions, mainly separate container type set up. Thanks..

A few store bought water bottles. One in the tank bag for easy access and the others in the top box. I'll put them in a flexible cooler with ice if it is really hot out. Get more when i fill the tank. So nothing fancy. If I'm hitting dirt roads though, I will go with a camelback just because I know I will want the water on the move.

A suggestion...

I just came back from a 3,000 mile trip - bike was pretty loaded up. I ran into the water (storage) issue myself. Ended up attaching a couple bicycle water bottle holders with zip ties to the rear seat handles and they worked out pretty well. After the trip, I just cut 'em off. Water bottle holders were about $10.00 ea. from a local bike store. They didn't look too bad either, and they allowed me easy access whenever I wanted, without having to rummage through bags. I backed up the bike bottles with a liquid stash in the sidecase.

thirsssst

I put a half gallon water container with a long (camelback style) hose on the right passenger peg by running a strap that has velcro on it around the foot peg bracket. The container I have is rectangular and has a nylon jacket around it. I drilled a hole in the top, and stuck the hose down in it. I fill it 1/3 full and freeze it, then fill it up and stick the hose on. The container doesn't move during my rides (cape fear rally, the void rally, et al)

I put a half gallon water container with a long (camelback style) hose on the right passenger peg by running a strap that has velcro on it around the foot peg bracket. The container I have is rectangular and has a nylon jacket around it. I drilled a hole in the top, and stuck the hose down in it. I fill it 1/3 full and freeze it, then fill it up and stick the hose on. The container doesn't move during my rides (cape fear rally, the void rally, et al)

How about some pictures?

The white container in this pic is a 1 gallon rotopax that I use for water, especially when camping in unimproved camp grounds. In addition to this container I have a 2 liter bladder in one of my tank panniers for drinking during the ride.

p-20110826-1818-0132.jpg

I also carry an MSR water filter and a folding bucket. If necessary I'll use that to fill the Rotopax. Usually there are plenty of places to fill it with potable water when on the road. The rotopax sits on my luggage rack where it is easy to get at. There may be a small soft sided cooler -- enough to hold food for a few meals -- on top of the rotopax.

p-131011759-3406-L.jpg

I use a Platypus water bag and keep it in the lowest part of my two chambered tank bag. The Platypus has a long tube with a bite valve on the end. I wrap a velcro "cable tie" around this and attach it to another velcro piece on the outside of the tank bag. When thirsty I slide the bite valve under my helmet and take a drink. With care, this can be done while riding. If I want cold water, I freeze a bit of water in the bag, or break up ice cubes and put them in the bag, and then top up with water just before a ride. I wrap the Platypus in a cloth before putting it in the tank bag so it doesn't sweat on everything. With ice the water stays cool for several hours.

Works great!

P1010274b.jpg

While not the most elegant this setup worked very well for 2 up touring. I attached an insulated Platypus 3 litre H2O bag from Amazon via the insulation holder straps to my RT bags. Inexpensive and effective. The straps never came loose during the 7800 mile trip. You can also drink with your full face helmet on. A big plus! I tried a set up to use while in motion but it was too distracting for me.

I just wish the insulator bag was not black but reflective or light colored to keep the solar gain lower. It did keep our water cold for several hours if you refrigerate the night before or use ice in the bags.

I keep a "Camelbak" type system in my tank bag. The hose snakes out through the zipper opening, and with a 90-degree angle on the bite valve, I don't need to open the flip-face helmet to take a sip of water while cruising the Interstate at 70 mph.

For water in camp, I take a Nalgene bottle, which can be clipped to almost anything on the bike with a small carabiner. Wide-mouth Nalgene bottles work best, as it's easy to fill, add drink mix, add ice, and clean.

Some day, I'll mount a fuel and a water "Roto-X-Pak" to my Touratech boxes. http://rotopax.com/1-Gallon-Packs/

I will not be camping, and not off road, so basically I just need to keep hydrated during the day.

So why are you not interested in the camelbak? I keep mine in the tankbag like the other poster. Works great filled with ice and water, wrapped in a towel to keep the condensation off the other stuff in the bag.

A water bladder inside a tank bag works. Camelbak, Platypus, Hydrapack, etc. Or, of you don't mind stopping to take a drink, a simple 1 liter nalgene bottle can fit in some tank bags, too. You can even go fancy and get the cup from Aerostich to go with it.

So why are you not interested in the camelbak?
Good question. Probably cause I was speaking from ignorance. I was not that familiar with all of the camelbak options, so I thought camelbak only meant the backpack type arrangement and I was not interested in having any gear on my back. Seems like most of what is being talked about is just bottles that you can stick in your tank bag or mount somewhere else on the bike.

I have been using both Klean Kanteen and Nalgene for years with excellent results. You should know, the only problem with the Nalgene Tritan bottles is that even though they are very tough and impact resistant empty, you can crack them if dropped when completely full(so I have been told).

My daughter uses the Platypus and seems to be very happy with hers. Fairly priced when compared to other brands. They are very similar to the Camelback system.

Mountain Safety Research (MSR) also has some products that should work well. The Hydromedary Hydration System is my preference. They also make something called DromLite? Bags and just came out with a nice water bottle to compete with Nalgene and KK.

If you want throw-a-way bottles, Smart Water has a very good bottle that holds up super well. That is my choice for my CERT gear and emergency prep bags. Forget about brands like Arrowhead for durability.

Please let us know what you end up with.

I use a 70oz Camelback filled with ice & water and supplement it with a 1 liter bottle of water at my last stop for gas before setting up camp for the night. The bottle water is used for coffee & cooking. As I travel solo this works fine for me.

RIDE SAFE

Good old Walmart sell a water bladder with a decent length hose and bite valve, in the camping section for under $10 !! The fill opening is big enough to easily add ice before topping up with water, as a bonus the bite valves are replaceable. I keep mine in my tank bag for easy access while riding- works well for limited financial outlay :)
I also carry a Britta filter bottle as a back up supply- works well and eliminates funky flavours in remote spots.
Cheers,
Ian

My first gear Kathmandu came with a small camelback that attaches to the coat with Velcro straps, works great. As other said, fill it with ice and water in hot weather can it keeps your back cool as well as provides water at any time.

Tank Bag

I have a old tank bag from my crotch rocket days that I always wondered what the sleeve on the bottom of it was for. After a trip (in July) to Colorado from Oklahoma and back I finally figured it out. On the way to the mountains I wore a camel back but it never stayed cold for too long, but on the way home I slide it in the sleeve and pulled the hose out thru the back of bag and I was surprised how long the water stayed cold. Of course the first slug of water was hot as hell but after that was great, now if I could find one that you could pressurize-that would be way cooool:thumb

Back