• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 G650GS Centerstand Info

kantuckid

I'm interested in which of the OEM center stands works properly on this MC with standard suspension, when a 1" lowering link is installed-the "regular stand" or "low suspension stand"?

I'm interested in which of the OEM center stands works properly on this MC with standard suspension, when a 1" lowering link is installed-the "regular stand" or "low suspension stand"?

That's a good question and I'm sorry to say I don't know with certainty. I'm not sure I was even aware 2 stands existed. I would avoid the lowering link if at all possible because it is a detriment to handling and safety.

You may want to ask the dealer that question. Perhaps they've had a real life scenario.

I asked one & no answer, thus the post. My new ride comes in a "lowered suspension version" for which I also have the question as to whats different from the "regular suspension" version I've bought? The Thursday ride home of 600+k will tell me much about ride height.:thumb

I asked one & no answer, thus the post. My new ride comes in a "lowered suspension version" for which I also have the question as to whats different from the "regular suspension" version I've bought? The Thursday ride home of 600+k will tell me much about ride height.:thumb

I should have known this answer but wasn't positive. If you install a lowering link the bike will be harder to center stand. So if BMW does offer a different stand for the lowered suspension bike it should make things easier for you. But as stated previously stay away from a lowering link if you can.

Center stand

I have a 2013 G 650 GS with standard suspension and a center stand. The center stand does not lift the bike significantly off from the ground. It would be nice if it was a little higher. It is possible that the standard center stand may be a little more difficult to lift on a bike with a lowering link but may just work fine. On top of that if you don't like the lowering link you will already have the correct center stand. I don't think you will get a good answer on what will be best without trying it. Perhaps your dealer or local club has a rider with a standard center stand that would let you take it off their bike and try it on yours. You in turn could make sure their center stand gets a new application of grease and/or lunch while its being done.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

I misspoke in Post #3 in saying my new ride is lowered, as it is a standard suspension, not lowered, 2012 G650GS . I rode the MC home from Ft. Rucker,AL to KY so ~700 miles so far & I can ride it fine but may still try a Kouba link to lower it. In an uneven spot or unlevel surface it would be nice! While I'm not flat footed quite yet I do plan to try my sheepskin on it and see if I'll want to try a link for another inch down. The seat is a bit hard but my butt was "conditioned" by a bus ride to pick up the MC!
There are 2 centerstands sold by BMW-one is for low suspension , one is not. They also apply to another model. There are after mkt stands which I've seen the online comment that the OEM stand has a better, i.e., more stable base design. I don't have a "my dealer" nor do I have any MC's very close to play with. Horizons U L has several threads that make it obvious that the MC will work OK with a stand once lowered but not clearly stated there either.
The question remains: should I buy a low stand to place on a regular MC with a Kouba link installed?

I misspoke in Post #3 in saying my new ride is lowered, as it is a standard suspension, not lowered, 2012 G650GS . I rode the MC home from Ft. Rucker,AL to KY so ~700 miles so far & I can ride it fine but may still try a Kouba link to lower it. In an uneven spot or unlevel surface it would be nice! While I'm not flat footed quite yet I do plan to try my sheepskin on it and see if I'll want to try a link for another inch down. The seat is a bit hard but my butt was "conditioned" by a bus ride to pick up the MC!
There are 2 centerstands sold by BMW-one is for low suspension , one is not. They also apply to another model. There are after mkt stands which I've seen the online comment that the OEM stand has a better, i.e., more stable base design. I don't have a "my dealer" nor do I have any MC's very close to play with. Horizons U L has several threads that make it obvious that the MC will work OK with a stand once lowered but not clearly stated there either.
The question remains: should I buy a low stand to place on a regular MC with a Kouba link installed?

You should see benefit out of that swap.

The Twisted Throttle centerstand (why does BMW-a so called "premium brand?" not have one on a chain drive MC?:banghead:banghead:banghead) from SW-MotoTech is said to work harder & provide insufficient clearance with a lowered MC.

I installed a Kuba link and a handle bar riser. then slid the forks down more than an inch. Handles super. and I can flatfoot. gone 12,000 miles since then.

Had a local shop take 1" off the center stand and can still barely get the bike up on the stand. I started carrying a 2x6 to roll the back tire onto and THEN I can lift it onto the center stand.

I have a used standard centerstand in hand and will have the hardware to install it soon. I'm still looking for the 1" Kouba link & will do the stand then the link & report here. If I keep the link on the MC & alter the stand I'll report here what it takes to make the stand work properly. Others with further thoughts on this?

Back