Thread: '991100RT Ain't the same!!!

bikedok

Smile '991100RT Ain't the same!!!

Wonderful bike!! 11,000 miles (I know, I work too much) Recently saw a brake line leak. Replaced lines with new SpieglerSS. In the process I moved the gas tank back for better access to the connections for the brakes. I reassembled everything, replaced the Tupperware and started it up. Runs terribly, stumbles, pops, no power and barely accelerates . I figure I disturbed something, either electrical or to do with fuel management. It was running super smooth before. Suggestions for someone too cheap to take it to a dealer???

Having faced similar situations in the past, both with machines I own and those I work on professionally, I tend to "do the job again." I'd remove everything and then inspect all parts, connections, etc. that you did or could have disturbed. Wires, connections, vacuum lines, etc. That's a good place to start.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

There's a high probability that you dislodged the throttle cable where the cable comes out of the sheath at the bell crank next to the throttle body (look where you make the adjustment during a sync). Check the right side first!

"moved the gas tank back"... So the first thing to check is the connection at the right/bottom/rear, make sure everything is fully seated. Disconnect it all the way, inspect the pins on both sides, reassemble.

Quote Originally Posted by norton View Post
    There's a high probability that you dislodged the throttle cable where the cable comes out of the sheath at the bell crank next to the throttle body (look where you make the adjustment during a sync). Check the right side first!

This...

When I did it the first time I thought I did some serious damage and was in for an expensive trip to the dealer, but with a little help from the forum, I now know to check the cables everytime I dislodge the tank.
    2002 R1150GS
    1998 F650

Quote Originally Posted by Appa x4 View Post
    This...

When I did it the first time I thought I did some serious damage and was in for an expensive trip to the dealer, but with a little help from the forum, I now know to check the cables everytime I dislodge the tank.
    +1 This evening on the way home I was on my 1150 with the right half of the fairing back at home (verifying a fuel line seep had been fixed). Out of curiosity, I started to gently pull up on the right cable to see whether it would smooth out a slightly rougher than normal idle (it's due for another sync session). As I pulled, the cable end suddenly released and popped up out of the ferrule -- only just a hair above -- and the engine immediately (and in a rough manner) died.

An unseated cable (usually the right side) can make you think the bike is about to come apart.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Unseated Cable sheath

Everyone does this once, rite of passage.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Everyone does this once, rite of passage.
    Dang, I made that passage twice!
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT