• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMWs and Baseball

GO Cardinals!

As I get older I really am starting to enjoy listening to The Cardinals on the the radio. I like it better than on TV. Baseball is such a easy paced game, that you can enjoy listening to it while doing other things. The older I get, the smarter my Dad becomes!

GO Cardinals!

As I get older I really am starting to enjoy listening to The Cardinals on the the radio. I like it better than on TV. Baseball is such a easy paced game, that you can enjoy listening to it while doing other things. The older I get, the smarter my Dad becomes!

The game ruled in the radio era. It is a game that a good announcer can bring to life on the radio. Football and basketball are in their prime on TV and they really pale compared to baseball when they are in the radio format.

BTY, game 5 in the playoffs last year, Zito and our fat man made it tough on your team
i-62wL95s-M.jpg

Gee, anybody have anything to say about C. J. Wilson?

Here ya go- CJ has one of the hottest gf's on the planet...:wave but that doesn't keep me from being a Royals fan.:dance

I find it somewhat (I'm searching for the nice way to put this) ironic to carp about pro athlete salaries on a "BMW" MC forum? What happened to this being an expensive hobby that makes others richer? Maybe we should all sell our MC's & give it too my fave charities:Salvation Army & Wounded Warriors? Or we could start a "bitch about BMW corporate salaries vs. MC cost & social welfare concerns thrown in? This really is headed nowhere? As a retired teacher I certainly would have preferred(and more money too!) my 1st career choice: baseball (had I the skill level required) but my generation of players often had a side job as the money wasn't so large then. Many/most in the BB hall of fame didn't have the big bucks and worked at other jobs. The Micky Mantles & Babe Ruths were exceptions of that day. One of my fave pitchers of the past was a contractor in the off season. Guys like Hank Aaron were lucky in starting when it was another e.g. of racial discrimination/low money ball but played long enough to cash in on the big money era.
While agree that many in society make too much money it doesn't taint my enjoyment of several sports. You could be like my BIL who attends SEC FB games(replete with multi-mil coaches & TV contracts to the league & schools-read Jason Whitlock for some lucidity on college sports dollars) with us , yet refuses to go to NFL game because of the high salaries. Make sense out of that philosophy... :scratch
FWIW, In the final anaylysis of the "big money" things in our society-you name one, any one, I double dare you and I can state that "the little man" makes a living at the bottom of that food chain too. Is it always fair, hell no!:wave
Go Cats! Go Royals! Go Chiefs! Go Jayhawks! Go Packers!

GO Cardinals!

I was a Dizzy Dean guy all the way, never been a better announcer IMO. In today's world of TV BB I'll take Hawk anytime as my fave guy. I really enjoy the WGN Sox/Royals games because of him! As to slowness of the game-I DVR them to change the tempo. In a live game, with me there, you can look at chicks,etc. for time a filler.

Here ya go- CJ has one of the hottest gf's on the planet...:wave but that doesn't keep me from being a Royals fan.:dance

I find it somewhat (I'm searching for the nice way to put this) ironic to carp about pro athlete salaries on a "BMW" MC forum? What happened to this being an expensive hobby that makes others richer? Maybe we should all sell our MC's & give it too my fave charities:Salvation Army & Wounded Warriors? Or we could start a "bitch about BMW corporate salaries vs. MC cost & social welfare concerns thrown in? This really is headed nowhere? As a retired teacher I certainly would have preferred(and more money too!) my 1st career choice: baseball (had I the skill level required) but my generation of players often had a side job as the money wasn't so large then. Many/most in the BB hall of fame didn't have the big bucks and worked at other jobs. The Micky Mantles & Babe Ruths were exceptions of that day. One of my fave pitchers of the past was a contractor in the off season. Guys like Hank Aaron were lucky in starting when it was another e.g. of racial discrimination/low money ball but played long enough to cash in on the big money era.
While agree that many in society make too much money it doesn't taint my enjoyment of several sports. You could be like my BIL who attends SEC FB games(replete with multi-mil coaches & TV contracts to the league & schools-read Jason Whitlock for some lucidity on college sports dollars) with us , yet refuses to go to NFL game because of the high salaries. Make sense out of that philosophy... :scratch
FWIW, In the final anaylysis of the "big money" things in our society-you name one, any one, I double dare you and I can state that "the little man" makes a living at the bottom of that food chain too. Is it always fair, hell no!:wave
Go Cats! Go Royals! Go Chiefs! Go Jayhawks! Go Packers!

I struggle with the whole social system and how we "reward" those in society. When I was 18 I had answers for all that and could have fixed society in an instant. If you don't believe that, all you had to do was ask me, back then.:laugh Now, I don't have a clue what to do; so, I watch grossly over paid men play a kids game while my local school has to have bake sales in order to buy more classroom supplies.

BTW, what did ya play? Did ya ever coach?

I struggle with the whole social system and how we "reward" those in society. When I was 18 I had answers for all that and could have fixed society in an instant. If you don't believe that, all you had to do was ask me, back then.:laugh Now, I don't have a clue what to do; so, I watch grossly over paid men play a kids game while my local school has to have bake sales in order to buy more classroom supplies.

And even in schools they will cut academics and arts, but not sports. Students have a better shot at being wealthy from starting their own business/going to college etc than they will in professional sports.

Yes & yes-I was a Guard/linebacker in FB & blocking back in college @ a weight that would be a TB in today's size of kids. I played mostly CF in BB, Dad was a pro baseball & his oldest brother same(WWII ended their careers) & their kid brother was a college basketball player & life long coach & on my Mom's side one uncle boxed pro until the war then boxed his way thru WWII to include periods of tenting on the beach with nekked wumen in S.Pacific!
In Appalachia the whole school finance thing is so far from the rest of our country it's not worth discussion. My county has zero industrial tax base & the KY Ed reform law(KERA) is the only salvation in recent years. Problem is sadly not just a funding issue but rather many societal factors such as in a recent Smitshonian article which emphasized science & math, then this a.m. I read a letter to the ED that says if we are saying that's the problem we are saying there is enough reading & writing ed going on yet we have a nation full of people that cannot read nor write! I worked in Tech Ed then finished as a HS principal. Then taught Gifted after I retired. Pretty much been there etc.. Truth be known I'm hearing this stuff about NOW is the time to avoid liberal arts & go tech where the jobs are in slow economy. The jobs were always there for tech skilled people-if they can read & write too.
People can bash sports all they want, actually it bothers me not a bit in a personal way because I know what makes me tick & its balls in my head when I need some sanity to this world we live in! At my house we played hard & we studied hard & everyone of my 3 adult sons is both a serious sports fan AND! a highly educated & high level professionally employed person that also enjoys carry over sports. lets talk some ball at a rally.:thumb
Sorry to say that sports, both of the arts , "shop" & many other things have been dropped by schools-not limited to just "what Ponch says". In Texas there were HS's dropping FB years ago, that in a FB state. My county has never had FB & onloy got soccer started because the Cty atty was from NJ & coached it until established. Most schools teach little to none of several subjects that are pertinent to being a world citizen-go figure! I tested incoming applicants for tech schools for yrs after teaching & can attest that Johnny & Susie cannot read & write.:violin
Back to BMW's & baseball!!!:dance

Yes & yes-I was a Guard/linebacker in FB & blocking back in college @ a weight that would be a TB in today's size of kids. I played mostly CF in BB, Dad was a pro baseball & his oldest brother same(WWII ended their careers) & their kid brother was a college basketball player & life long coach & on my Mom's side one uncle boxed pro until the war then boxed his way thru WWII to include periods of tenting on the beach with nekked wumen in S.Pacific!
In Appalachia the whole school finance thing is so far from the rest of our country it's not worth discussion. My county has zero industrial tax base & the KY Ed reform law(KERA) is the only salvation in recent years. Problem is sadly not just a funding issue but rather many societal factors such as in a recent Smitshonian article which emphasized science & math, then this a.m. I read a letter to the ED that says if we are saying that's the problem we are saying there is enough reading & writing ed going on yet we have a nation full of people that cannot read nor write! I worked in Tech Ed then finished as a HS principal. Then taught Gifted after I retired. Pretty much been there etc.. Truth be known I'm hearing this stuff about NOW is the time to avoid liberal arts & go tech where the jobs are in slow economy. The jobs were always there for tech skilled people-if they can read & write too.
People can bash sports all they want, actually it bothers me not a bit in a personal way because I know what makes me tick & its balls in my head when I need some sanity to this world we live in! At my house we played hard & we studied hard & everyone of my 3 adult sons is both a serious sports fan AND! a highly educated & high level professionally employed person that also enjoys carry over sports. lets talk some ball at a rally.:thumb
Sorry to say that sports, both of the arts , "shop" & many other things have been dropped by schools-not limited to just "what Ponch says". In Texas there were HS's dropping FB years ago, that in a FB state. My county has never had FB & onloy got soccer started because the Cty atty was from NJ & coached it until established. Most schools teach little to none of several subjects that are pertinent to being a world citizen-go figure! I tested incoming applicants for tech schools for yrs after teaching & can attest that Johnny & Susie cannot read & write.:violin
Back to BMW's & baseball!!!:dance

Fun stuff, sounds like you went a long way in sports. My sports career ended quick with a blown knee in football my freshman year in high school. We did not have the medical options they have now. Doc told mom and dad that if I ever wanted to walk, football was done. Years later I became the terror of the adult D leagues, basketball and softball, for decades, made a life time career in recreation running leagues with at times over 500 teams.

Both my girls had great multi sport careers. Even though sports was a constant in our house, we all played and I coached everything, academics was first and foremost. It never became clearer than when my oldest was offered a full sports ride to a small college and we elected to go broke and pay for her to go to a much better academic institution...She became a doctor.

Yes, it would be fun to shoot the poop around a camp fire sometime....could happen.

Back