• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salem to Albuquerque NM after rally: Route suggestions & anyone going this way?

reidhester

kindofblue
I'll be attending my first MOA rally in Salem, riding up from San Francisco. While I've ridden between Albuquerque and Seattle a number of times via scenic routes (usually up through the Rockies to Montana then heading west), I've not ridden a route from Oregon back to Abq. Any suggestions for non-freeway routes would be much appreciated.

(I'm a newbie on this forum but have been active on our LOEBMW & advrider forums for 6 years, and was club sec'y for a couple years until recently.)

191 through Moab, UT to 163 through Monument Valley then 160 and 64 into New Mexico. Lots of great National Parks to see along this route.

Hi Kevin,
(You've got my middle name). Thanks. I'm actually riding up 550 through Farmington then to Moab on the way out to SF before the rally. You're right, Hwy 191 is nice. I was wondering more about the options to get from Salem over into Utah (east of Salt Lake City) other than Hwy 50 (which I'll ride on the way out to SF also).

191 through Moab, UT to 163 through Monument Valley then 160 and 64 into New Mexico. Lots of great National Parks to see along this route.

A zillion:)

Your choices are huge! Crossing Oregon is a wonderful ride, just about any way you find. Hells Canyon(Via Baker, Ore.) on the East border of state is exceptional exit. Lewiston, Idaho another and either South from there or East thru Lolo Pass and South US93. Far North Utah has Vernal, an overnight camp or hotel are easy. Much to see. Craig, Colorado is East of Vernal, a NICE ride and into Steamboat Springs and so on as you wiggle across Colorado:):):). Too much to say about Colorado to say here, ITS ALL great riding. Its real hard to miss the great stuff, riding your above mentioned states and you don't have to repeat anything coming and going. Stay in the western half of Colorado, say Denver/Colorado Springs and West of them and you're in biker heaven. NMex is just a tad away and Toas and Sant? Fe. See ya in Salem:). Randy

If I were looking for a Scenic ride to Albuquerque

I would find myself in Grand Junction Colorado on IH70, then I would head south on US 50 to the town of Delta Colorado. Take Co 92 east and ride the upper road along the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Take time to look down into the canyon along the way.

Then I would rejoin US50 near the town of Sapinero and again go east until I came to Co 149. This would take me through mucho mountains and through Lake City, Creed, and along the beginning of the Rio Grande river. One of the most scenic roads I ever traveled.

Then I would join US 160 to Alamosa, at which point take US285 south to Antonito. Antonito is the northern terminal of the Cumbres and Toltec scenic railroad, which goes south to Chama New Mexico. A very scenic ride on a narrow gauge steam powered train. From Antonito I would take Colorado 17 south To Chama NM (the southern destination of the Cumbres and Toltec RR). Very scenic.

From Chama US64 will lead you to US84 near Tierra Amarilla. The more Direct route toward Albuquerque would be on US84, however for the longer more scenic route you can go east on 84, cross the Rio Grande on a beautiful old bridge, and end up in Taos NM. Taos isn't my favorite place, too crowded and kind of weird, but a lot of folks like it.

Take NM 68 south which will lead you to US285 to Santa Fe then IH25 to Albuquerque. If you are a GS type, there is a road 570 just west of the Rest Area at the bridge over the Rio Grande, that will turn to unpaved that drops you from a high plateau down to the Rio Grande River to the town of Pilar, where you can join NM68 and then to US 285 to Santa Fe.

Thanks

Hi all,
Thanks for your many helpful suggestions! I've ridden the Rockies a lot but you've suggested some routes I've not taken. Yet.

Then I would rejoin US50 near the town of Sapinero and again go east until I came to Co 149. This would take me through mucho mountains and through Lake City, Creed, and along the beginning of the Rio Grande river. One of the most scenic roads I ever traveled.

BTDT. CO149 south from US50 is just a fabulous ride.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison

Agreed. That road is spectacular as are the views down into the canyon.

And if you're getting there via 92 and Crawford (just north of Crawford Lake State Park), there's a great cafe on the right side of the road as you make a 90 degree turn in the highway in town.

BTDT. CO149 south from US50 is just a fabulous ride.

If you aren't in a hurry

I can heartily recommend Hwy 141 in western Colorado. If you take the excellent advice regarding Grand Junction and the Grand Canyon of the Gunnison you will head south on Rt 50 out of Grand Junction. A few miles south of GJ Colorado Rt 141 turns right off of Rt 50 and follows a beautiful canyon in an arc for 94 miles to Naturita, CO. This area is practically uninhabited (a few ranches) and the road was in great condition. There was no gas available until you get to Naturita so fill up in GJ before you go. From Naturita you can follow Rt145 to 62 to US Rt550 and get back to Montrose to pickup the highway to Grand Canyon of the Gunnison. This loop is 180 miles from GJ to the center of Montrose.

Thanks. I've ridden that road and it is spectacular. I don't have too much time though as I need to get back to fly out to Honolulu for a conference the following Mon. and will have been on the road since 7/8 so need to spend some time in the office before 7/29.

I can heartily recommend Hwy 141 in western Colorado. If you take the excellent advice regarding Grand Junction and the Grand Canyon of the Gunnison you will head south on Rt 50 out of Grand Junction. A few miles south of GJ Colorado Rt 141 turns right off of Rt 50 and follows a beautiful canyon in an arc for 94 miles to Naturita, CO. This area is practically uninhabited (a few ranches) and the road was in great condition. There was no gas available until you get to Naturita so fill up in GJ before you go. From Naturita you can follow Rt145 to 62 to US Rt550 and get back to Montrose to pickup the highway to Grand Canyon of the Gunnison. This loop is 180 miles from GJ to the center of Montrose.

Back