Thread: 1978 R100S, Odd noise from right cylinder head

Hybrid View

1978 R100S, Odd noise from right cylinder head

Hello Airhead Gurus,

I have been out thoroughly enjoying my 78 R100S! And as such I have noticed an odd metallic chirping noise from my right cylinder at around 3k RPM- I have a video on youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej9J2vkAAqw

The noise occurs at about 10-11 seconds and again at 19 seconds. Valve clearances at correct. Just rechecked them. Any ideas? Thanks everyone!

Loren

Bluenoser
    It doesn't sound like valve train noise, but more like something else that is vibrating with the engine running. Valve train noise is much louder & more clunk like.

Have you tried putting the bike in gear, pull in the clutch and see if the noise changes or goes away at the same rpm. Sometimes dry throw out bearings can make a similar type of noise and by using the clutch you can either confirm or rule out that it is clutch related noise.

If you have a piece of tubing or one of those engine stethoscopes you can move it around the engine to try and figure out where the noise was coming from. With a fairing the noise could be coming from just about anywhere on the right side of the bike and the fairing is reflecting the noise.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

It almost could be minor pinging. Or you could have just hit a resonance of the system. Also, what about the up/down movement of the rocker blocks? You should check those at the time of setting the valves. On the side that you're setting the clearances, grab the rocker extension with a thumb and fore finger and move up and down. You should only see a minor movement of oil film where the bottom of the rocker meats the pillow block.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    It almost could be minor pinging. Or you could have just hit a resonance of the system. Also, what about the up/down movement of the rocker blocks? You should check those at the time of setting the valves. On the side that you're setting the clearances, grab the rocker extension with a thumb and fore finger and move up and down. You should only see a minor movement of oil film where the bottom of the rocker meats the pillow block.

I should've mention that- The up/down play between the rockers and pillows blocks I had checked and adjusted as needed along with valve clearances (as per Snowbum and several other valuable resources. Only minor movement of oil film there- check!

Have you checked the rocker arm bearings. Some of the early cages cracked on the ends and the needles fell out. Just a thought.

James.A
    Right side?,....chirping noise?,.....crank case breather?