• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Schuberth C3 with Polarized glasses

bobr9

I have a Schuberth C3 which has the drop down sun visor. Works great except I recently got new glasses with polarized lenses. Now when I put the visor down the view is definitely not as sharp as before, seems "cloudy", if you know what I mean. So I rarely use the visor now, which does not make me happy. Wondering if anyone else has noticed a similar scenario using polarized glasses and if there are any workarounds on this, short of getting my old lenses back. I don't know much about polarized lenses, I assume they are all pretty much the same, but maybe not. Thanks..

Chances are the visor is polarized, I know I could not wear polarized sunglasses under one. Different polarization is going to cause fuzziness.

A regular clear plastic face shield can also create some interesting effects with polarized lenses. Do you see the aberrations with just the sun visor down and the face shield up?

I'm thinking you should have a second unpolarized pair for motorcycling...

Mr Rx sunglasses are polarized. Only think weird about the C3 is the bit of rainbow effect when I put the clear visor down. I may take the pinlock out to see if that makes it go away.

However, when I get to work, the four computer screens go black if I look at them with the sunglasses. Wonder if I can use that as an excuse not to work. hahaha

I have decided to bite the bullet and get another pair (unpolarized) for riding. Thanks for the input.

Mr Rx sunglasses are polarized. Only think weird about the C3 is the bit of rainbow effect when I put the clear visor down. I may take the pinlock out to see if that makes it go away...

The curve of most face shields seems to produce color shifts, patterns and other very interesting visual effects when wearing polarized lenses. And to think that I wasted all that money in the 60's for virtually the same thing! :whistle

Pilots do not wear polarized glasses when flying because of the color shifts, patterns and other very interesting visual effects. I think a motorcyclist should follow this practice.

Have you tried wearing them in your car? When you look through your side windows and other cards you can actually see the polarization. It also impossible to ready the LCD displays at the gas pumps. I haven't tried the polarized glasses with my C3 Pro but I assume they would have the effect that you're experiencing.

FWIW: There is a thread online someplace I ran across that indicates that Schuberth helmets have some kind of protective goop on the sunglass visor. They (Schuberth tech support) advised to wash the screen with some soap and water and it will clear up the distortion haze you may be seeing. I did this with mine and wiped the whole thing with Plexus and I can see a whole lot better now.

I use polarized Wiley-X shades with the helmet and have no problem with weird moire color patterns showing up. The only real effect with polarized sunglasses I have noted is that the glare shield on my GPS will go black if my head is turned the wrong way. when I look at it.

I've noticed weird effects when wearing polarized sunglasses with what's supposed to be just a clear shield. This is one an inexpensive HJC full face helmet. I'm thinking non-polarized sunglasses are definitely the way to go for riding with a shield, Schuberth or not.

Since I wear sunglasses almost all of the time during daylight hours when I'm outside, I tend to buy inexpensive sunglases (non-prescription). I've found that I can break or lose expensive sunglasses just as easy as cheap ones, so cheap ones it is.

FWIW: The only real effect with polarized sunglasses I have noted is that the glare shield on my GPS will go black if my head is turned the wrong way. when I look at it.

This is because both items have some sort of polarizing on them. I have seen polarized glasses and an iPhone cancel each other out in such a way that the phone's screen looked jet black.

I normally recommend the following to any clients I work with:

1. Purchase a good quality polycarbonate lens. As you go up in price, the quality of the optics will also climb. If you are getting a PAL lens, it can make a HUGE DIFFERENCE in how long you can wear the glasses without any discomfort.

2. Spend the extra cash and get a great AR coating on the lens. Personally, I use Crizal, but there are other good brands out there. The better grades really can make a difference. The better AR coatings will last longer giving you a longer life for your glasses.

3. No matter what name is on them, most frames are now made in China. Look at frame design, materials, and construction more than the name on the side of the temple. There are some great deals on frames if you ignore brand names.

FWIW: There is a thread online someplace I ran across that indicates that Schuberth helmets have some kind of protective goop on the sunglass visor. They (Schuberth tech support) advised to wash the screen with some soap and water and it will clear up the distortion haze you may be seeing. I did this with mine and wiped the whole thing with Plexus and I can see a whole lot better now.

That is interesting. I just looked at my visor holding it up to the light and you may be right. I will try to wash it like you said. Do you know where the thread is that you referred to? Thanks...

Back