• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Toaster Tank value

A friend has a 1972 600 Toaster Tank for sale. it needs battery, tires, cables, & he said the points cam was broken off, and then re-welded. But he was considering a Boyer replacement ignition for it.

He seems to think {as is} it will fetch 3500-4000? I'm thinking considerably less?...........Opinions?

... the points cam was broken off, and then re-welded.

I agree with Ron; maybe a bit more than $1000, but the points cam "fix" is a big deal (to me anyway (I'd want to tear it down)). Tires, cables, and battery add: air and oil filters ( - ) $350 - 400 or so. It's worth more as parts.. ... I didn't say that.

By the title of your post I thought you wanted to know the value of a toaster tank; which would depend on a lot of factors (exterior/interior condition, fuel cap included (or not), petcocks included (or not), condition of the chrome panel (if included), and badges... all of the above included, in excellent condition; $600-800, if you could find one.

A friend has a 1972 600 Toaster Tank for sale. it needs battery, tires, cables, & he said the points cam was broken off, and then re-welded. But he was considering a Boyer replacement ignition for it.

He seems to think {as is} it will fetch 3500-4000? I'm thinking considerably less?...........Opinions?

Just as a reference point - I purchased an R60/5, non toaster tank with 80k in very good original cosmetic condition. Purchase price $2500. Just doing regular maintenance - engine seal, clutch, throttle cables, rubber grips, foot pegs, speedo overhaul and now new handlebar control wires to operate starter/turn signals & horn . . . it adds up fast.

A bike with a broken cam - yikes! I'm guessing you'll have to put a minimum of 2k into a bike like that - and that's being conservative.

When you buy an older bike BMW translates to bring money with. It's great the parts are available but they don't come cheaply.

Well it seams you all are on the same page as I. Another friend offered him 800 then came up to a 1000, and he was insulted/pissed.
Today I suggested that he might want to consider the offer...now he's mad at me....

So I thought maybe I was being a cheap butt..that's why i asked.....Thanks for the replies.

show him this thread.

it might create a good attitude adjustment.

depending upon how/where he snapped the end of the cam shaft, it is possible to drill into the shaft, tap it, then run a screw in to hold the points advance unit in place. DAMHIK.

Still a big can of worms

Mhhm-huh.

As a fixer-upper, the buyer would spend more $ than the bike would be worth for a very long time.

A savvy seller could get that kind of dough out of it in parts, given patience and time.

I "watch ebay" when I do my coffee & they run from $700-7,000 depending on the who, when what where factor. I have a $700+ type in barn & a what I hope to be soon $7000 rider in shop in pieces now. What something is worth is never an easy answer-I had a friend years ago that started a pawn shop after his AF career & even he had days when he was "taken to school" on value of items. Guns & diamonds he knew very well, other stuff he learned every day. The human factor looms large, as in , "what will you pay"? Some easy answers are hard won.

Fortunately, airheads aren't exactly rare...yet. Even a '72 R60 toasters are out there, and without needing tires, cables, battery, etc. etc. The items mentioned are pretty much your typical wear items. What else needs tinkering with? How's the suspension? How are the carbs? How about the brakes? The seller needs a bit of a reality check, I guess.

I try not to add up the receipts for the dollars that I've put into 2 airheads over the years. It really doesn't matter, I don't own and ride them as an investment.

I try not to add up the receipts for the dollars that I've put into 2 airheads over the years.

I haven't added them up either, but they are all tucked away in an old cigar box. And I'm going to need another cigar box pretty soon now.

Cigar box? I have the costs for my R69S and R25/2 overhauls in a spreadsheet...pretty scary!

I have the costs for my R69S and R25/2 overhauls in a spreadsheet...

Spreadsheet? Whasszat? What can I say Kurt. I'm a Luddite, that's why I've ridden the same scooter since 1974.
icon_wink.gif

I store all my restoration reciepts in a special place

I bought it just for that purpose its Royal SC800 paper shredder and it does a fantastic job. I have 3 or 4 or maybe 6 restorations going on as you read this and a couple not quite stock renovations to a /5 & /6 and one I'm not quite sure about so I have a lot of receipts to store. Its amazing how compact that SC800 makes them!!!

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for or have any connections to the Royal company, I do it for fun and to maintain a negative balance in my bank accounts.

I wouldn't be having fun if I wasn't spending money on my BMW's.

I have 3 or 4 or maybe 6 restorations going on as you read this and a couple not quite stock renovations to a /5 & /6

You, Sir, are obviously a deranged person .... . .. . Godspeed
icon_wink.gif

I bought it just for that purpose its Royal SC800 paper shredder and it does a fantastic job. I have 3 or 4 or maybe 6 restorations going on as you read this and a couple not quite stock renovations to a /5 & /6 and one I'm not quite sure about so I have a lot of receipts to store. Its amazing how compact that SC800 makes them!!!

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for or have any connections to the Royal company, I do it for fun and to maintain a negative balance in my bank accounts.

I wouldn't be having fun if I wasn't spending money on my BMW's.

I feel like I resemble that remark.

Kurt

Back