• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Some people have too much money

Rudyjo

Dale Rudolph
Today, May 15th, it was reported that an auction firm called Barnett Newmann auctioned a painting for $43.8 million dollars.
The painting is a solid blue canvas with a white stripe down the middle.

With all the people in this world who have almost nothing, there are people who have nothing better to do than throw their money away.
$43.8 million could have done a lot to help so many people.

I wouldn't have paid a penny over $20,000,000 for that.

AUCTION-articleLarge.jpg

The painting is a solid blue canvas with a white stripe down the middle.

Pretty sure I've got some old paint out in the garage, excuse me while I go become a millionaire.

Sorry guys, but you just don't get it.

This is fine art.
The 'Blue' is particular, as is the 'White'. Simply calling those colours blue and white is a travesty, and an insult to the artist.
Personally I would not have paid that much, I have other priorities; to ridicule the connoisseur who managed to procure the piece does more to point out deficiencies in your characters than it does to show shortfalls in his or hers.

BTW
Sotheby's auctioned this piece.
Barnett Newman was the artist.

Hope that makes you think

LOL!!!

You know what kind of motorcycle collection you could have bought with $43mill??? Oh, the Humanity!!!

:nyah

Think that is the same one I saw at the Smithsonian a few years ago, although I don't remember the white stripe, and it looked more rectangular. I didn't get it seeing it in person either. I think the title of the thread is correct.

Think that is the same one I saw at the Smithsonian a few years ago, although I don't remember the white stripe, and it looked more rectangular. I didn't get it seeing it in person either. I think the title of the thread is correct.

It's possible that when you saw it at the Smithsonian it didn't have the white stripe.
A plain blue canvas probably wouldn't get more than a few million.
Having a gifted artist add the white stripe in just the right place is what got it up to $43.8 million at auction.
I think I would have made the white stripe horizontal, but that may have ruined it.

I saw one in Smithsonian that appeared as white-totally white & had this dot in the center. Now, I've had quite a bit of art training & I sure don't get it.:banghead
Read some Eric Hoffer(my fave philosopher) if your bothered by the economic apple cart. He had some interesting views from the workingmans POV.
Bill Gates seems to be the good guy in the world of money.

Well all I know is they are obviously displaying the painting upside down. Proper display makes all the difference with this type of art. I would not spend more than 40 Mil. on this one.

It's possible that when you saw it at the Smithsonian it didn't have the white stripe.
A plain blue canvas probably wouldn't get more than a few million.
Having a gifted artist add the white stripe in just the right place is what got it up to $43.8 million at auction.
I think I would have made the white stripe horizontal, but that may have ruined it.

I would have been far more bold and gone diagonally, but not simply corner to corner, a precise 37.5 degree angle from upper right towards lower left. That would have pushed this well over the 100 million mark. But alas, I was not consulted. Their loss.

And I see that a portrait of actress Bea Arthur (remember "Golden Girls"?) just sold for a more modest $1.9M. The amount was more modest, not the picture which is Bea in her birthday suit. I'll have nightmares for years...

pete

I have owned several motorcycles. I have owned several boats. I just got back from 10 days sailing in the BVI's. Flying to Denver at the end of the month. RA Rally in June, BMWST Rally in June, PNW in July. Boundary Waters canoe trip in August. NW Arkansas on the bike in September.

Who am I to complain how others spend their disposable income?

Anyone else here live in a glass house?

Back